Games running uber-slow since 12.04 install

Asked by benjamin browne on 2012-04-27

Everything worked dreamy in 11.10, but on a fresh install of 12.04 with updated everything and nvidia drivers running on a nForce 6100 motherboard, AMD Phenom x4 910, 4gb RAM I get this bug. I've tested this error on Nexuiz, 0ad, and OpenArena... All have the same problem. Soon as a game starts the mouse cursor is so slow it takes whole minutes to navigate to the exit button on the game menu before ever even starting any true 3D accelerated visuals. The sound is also looped and glitchy, so this may be related to audio rather then video. Since everything works fine in Unity, VLC, Rythmbox, Movie Player for audio and video I'm a little stumpted.

Any ideas?

Question information

Revision history for this message
Sam_ (and-sam) said :
#1
Revision history for this message
benjamin browne (benjaminbrowne06) said :
#2

I will revert the nvidia 295.40 driver to 295.20 as recommended and report my results, but something doesn't feel right about this approach...

If it were the nvidia driver:
Shouldn't I be having problems in Unity and other apps too, not just on these games?
Why would the graphics driver have any effect on the audio in only these games?
Wouldn't the 295.40 driver have also been running on 11.10?

Revision history for this message
benjamin browne (benjaminbrowne06) said :
#3

Alright, weekend is over and back to the task at hand... We need to
establish some best practices for downgrading this driver.
Like detailed instructions on how shutdown X and whatnot. Anybody got
any links for that?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM, benjamin browne
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #194928 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/194928
>
> benjamin browne posted a new comment:
> I will revert the nvidia 295.40 driver to 295.20 as recommended and report my results, but something doesn't feel right about this approach...
>
> If it were the nvidia driver:
> Shouldn't I be having problems in Unity and other apps too, not just on these games?
> Why would the graphics driver have any effect on the audio in only these games?
> Wouldn't the 295.40 driver have also been running on 11.10?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Revision history for this message
benjamin browne (benjaminbrowne06) said :
#4

http://askubuntu.com/questions/128113/how-do-you-remove-nvidias-proprietary-drivers

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Benjamin Browne
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Alright, weekend is over and back to the task at hand... We need to
> establish some best practices for downgrading this driver.
> Like detailed instructions on how shutdown X and whatnot. Anybody got
> any links for that?
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM, benjamin browne
> <email address hidden> wrote:
>> Your question #194928 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/194928
>>
>> benjamin browne posted a new comment:
>> I will revert the nvidia 295.40 driver to 295.20 as recommended and report my results, but something doesn't feel right about this approach...
>>
>> If it were the nvidia driver:
>> Shouldn't I be having problems in Unity and other apps too, not just on these games?
>> Why would the graphics driver have any effect on the audio in only these games?
>> Wouldn't the 295.40 driver have also been running on 11.10?
>>
>> --
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Revision history for this message
benjamin browne (benjaminbrowne06) said :
#5

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/295.33-0ubuntu1

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Benjamin Browne
<email address hidden> wrote:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/128113/how-do-you-remove-nvidias-proprietary-drivers
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Benjamin Browne
> <email address hidden> wrote:
>> Alright, weekend is over and back to the task at hand... We need to
>> establish some best practices for downgrading this driver.
>> Like detailed instructions on how shutdown X and whatnot. Anybody got
>> any links for that?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM, benjamin browne
>> <email address hidden> wrote:
>>> Your question #194928 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/194928
>>>
>>> benjamin browne posted a new comment:
>>> I will revert the nvidia 295.40 driver to 295.20 as recommended and report my results, but something doesn't feel right about this approach...
>>>
>>> If it were the nvidia driver:
>>> Shouldn't I be having problems in Unity and other apps too, not just on these games?
>>> Why would the graphics driver have any effect on the audio in only these games?
>>> Wouldn't the 295.40 driver have also been running on 11.10?
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Revision history for this message
Sam_ (and-sam) said :
#6

> We need to establish some best practices for downgrading this driver

Winner is the one who is affected. ;-) Perhaps write a sticky or howto on ubuntuforums.org.

Revision history for this message
ExperiencedNoobie (techie) said :
#7

I am having a similar problem when running openarena on 12.04 ubuntu. I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04. I have also filed a bug later converted to question as I didnt know as to which particular package is at fault.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openarena/+bug/990644

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 (upgraded from previous) with windows xp dual boot. on AMD sempron 2600+ cpu and MSI K8M800 motherboard 1GB RAM. In 11.10 I was running the openchrome drivers that were compatible with my motherboard. After upgrade, I dont know what changed :( automatically.

Revision history for this message
Lynne Stevens (jackie40d) said :
#8

Only game which runs about right is under Wine and old solotair game all the rest are dead in the water slow ! !
11.04 ran good and 10.10 ran good this upgrade is not so good . .It is the 3rd time I have added it it in and wish Ihad not added it running gnome classic not te floating Icons stuff and even there games are dead Ssssssslllllooooowwww
Like in Shein Sho click on a tile and go to next oe and it is 6 or 7 seconds for the tile to get clicked and another 4 seconds to make thm go away

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask benjamin browne for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.