Ubuntu

e-mail setup

Asked by John Rosing on 2009-08-31

My UBUNTU OS works. But my email system does not. I have been using WINDOWS OUTLOOK EXPRESS as well as HOTMAIL. How do I set up the account in UBUNTU?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu mozilla-thunderbird Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
John Rosing
Solved:
2009-09-09
Last query:
2009-09-09
Last reply:
2009-09-09

This question was reopened

zvacet (ivicakolic) said : #1

You can read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Evolution and see if that is any help to you.

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #2

I am used to setting up an incoming server (pop3) and
an outgoing server (SMTP). The above link does not help in this regard but assumes that it is already set up.

zvacet (ivicakolic) said : #3

Sorry for overlook.Maybe http://screencasts.ubuntu.com/Introduction_to_Evolution will be helpful.

Tom (tom6) said : #4

Hi again :)

It might be worth trying to use Thunderbird instead as it's much easier to setup. Evolution is a lot like Microsoft Outlook in providing calendars and all sorts of extras. Thunderbird is more like Outlook Express in that they mainly focus on just being an email client.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
and either search tool should help you find and then install "thunderbird"

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #5

TOM:

I am replying to you from WINDOWS which I was successful in repairing using chkdsk bu using the restore feature of my original WINDOWS XP disk. This wiped out the GRUB loader and I had to reinstall OBUNTU which worked. so now I have a dual boot system working except that email does not yet work in EVOLUTION.

best regards

John

> To: rosingj@q.com
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #81551]: e-mail setup
> Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:23:50 +0000
>
> Your question #81551 on yelp in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/81551
>
> Tom proposed the following answer:
> Hi again :)
>
> It might be worth trying to use Thunderbird instead as it's much easier
> to setup. Evolution is a lot like Microsoft Outlook in providing
> calendars and all sorts of extras. Thunderbird is more like Outlook
> Express in that they mainly focus on just being an email client.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
> and either search tool should help you find and then install "thunderbird"
>
> Good luck and regards from
> Tom :)
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/81551/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/81551
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

Tom (tom6) said : #6

Brilliant!! Everything working except the email is very impressive :)))
There is a guide for recovering Grub whenever that goes a bit wrong, usually when installing something new into a dual-boot :) I think your way is something we have mostly all done but here's the guide for next time
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Recovering%20GRUB%20after%20reinstalling%20Windows

For email i have only used Thunderbird. Evolution looked to complicated and i didn't want any of the extra stuff anyway.

Good luck with this!
Regards from
Tom :)

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #7

OK! I downloaded THUNDERBIRD and then the instructions told me to install it!!!! but it didn't tell me how to do that. I have a new folder of the extracted files on my computer and don't know how to deal with it or its contents.

To install Thunderbird using the terminal...

Open a Terminal from the menu Applications → Accessories → Terminal and type or better copy and paste one row a time then press <enter>:

sudo aptitude update

give your user password when requested, you don't see nothing when you type it, then press enter.

sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo aptitude install thunderbird

and then select the Thunderbird from menu Apllications→Internet->Mozilla Thunderbird ...

Hope this helps

Tom (tom6) said : #9

Err, i am sorry abou this but in linux we don't go off downloading stuff from strange places to install (well not usually anyway). We usually use a "Package Manager" such as Synaptic
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
to find, download and install versions that have been carefully tweaked for whichever distro we happen to be using, Ubuntu is the distro in this case. Synaptic is already set-up to look in a lot of the right places for Ubuntu. Try going up to the top taskbar/panel and click on

System - Administration - Synaptic

Here's another guide good for a very quick skim through or for occasionally looking things up
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

Tom (tom6) said : #10

Or go straight to the command-line package-manager that synaptic uses, as shown by Marcobra :)

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #11

Thank you MARCOBRA

I followed your specific line-by-line instructions and was successful in opening THUNDERBIRD. In order for me to see what is happening while things are going on I open the system monitor while this was installing. At the end it started to download messages, lots of data (old messages I assume) which consumed about 40% of my CPU for a very long time. During that time there short blips on the Network History. But then it timed out stopping the process. There is nothing in my inbox so I assume that the importation process simply aborted before completion.

Well something worked!!

I will try to send myself an e-mail

Thank you again

John

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #12

Something is still not working. When I opened THINDERBIRD I requested to download mail. Again the CPU was busy at 40% until time out while attempting to connect to pop3.live.

Tom (tom6) said : #13

HI

Sorry this question is not working out. It's very unusual for both Evolution and Thunderbird to not work. Even Evolution is normally fine but in the rare cases it isn't Thunderbird usually does, even if that's just "2nd time lucky". Launchpad doesn't have a good way of handling old questions so it's probably time to re-post this question and try again

Aplos, good luck and regards from
Tom :)

Tom (tom6) said : #14

So have you solved this question too now? Can you really get emails with Ubuntu?

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #15

Yes Tom.

Everything works. There are several points that I want to clarify with UBUNTU. These are things that caused me real trouble until I found the answers:

1) setting up a new OS on an existing computer with WINDOWS should not be done with less than 5 GiB of free space, and preferably 10 GiB.

2) setting up the mail servers in THUNDERBIRD requires access to those by connecting to them through the mail application and the ACCOUNTS tag. I never did find this link in the other mail application. (I am answering from within WINDOWS so that I can't verify each of these steps. (I also confused myself by not remembering my correct user name and/or password. I solved this by creating them anew within WINDOWS.)

Tom (tom6) said : #16

Err, Ubuntu is famously about the heaviest gnu&linux distro around but that means it has more useful stuff in it too, right from the first moment it's installed :)

So for point 1 i would say you really need 15Gb free to install ubuntu but you will probably need more for swap. You could probably get away with 10Gb but then swap might be best at 4Gb anyway, depending on ram
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

However, there are plenty of gnu&linux distros that would be quite happy in under 1Gb or 2 including swap (assuming low ram) but they might not have all the heavy apps that Ubuntu has. For example they might use Claws instead of Thunderbird and AbiWord instead of OpenOffice. Some say that Claws is better anyway but i haven't tried it yet.

Ages ago someone tried to show me how to set-up Thunderbird so that it could read straight from it's Windows version, sharing the data & settings that would be set-up in Windows. Essentially so that i could login to either Windows or Ubuntu and still access all the same emails from either without doing some strange synchronising kludge.

I don't suppose you could copy a brief note into here about how you solved the question of this thread? It's quite late here so i'm probably not making much sense.
Thanks, good luck and regards from
Tom :)

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #17

Tom:

The HURRAH's were too son. I now can not send emails from OBUNTU THUNDERBIRD. The attempt creates an error message "smtp.live.com failed. Server is not working or refusing to accept smtp message".

Simultaneously I noticed a mail problem in WINDOWS. The history of the incoming list of messages (500+ messages) is completely blank. When I send a new test message to myself I can receive it. After I read it it dissapears. The support system at QWEST gave me a case number. When I escalated this situation the contacted MICROSOFT specialist claimed that there is nothing wrong since I was able to receive the test message OK.

I opened a new BUG report in OBUNTU.

This seems to be the only way to communicate with you. I hope this at least works. Incidentally where are you located? I am in Denver CO. which I believe is GMT 8 hours West.

Now I am frustrated.... John

> To: rosingj@q.com
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #81551]: e-mail setup
> Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:18:42 +0000
>
> Your question #81551 on mozilla-thunderbird in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mozilla-thunderbird/+question/81551
>
> Tom posted a new comment:
> Err, Ubuntu is famously about the heaviest gnu&linux distro around but
> that means it has more useful stuff in it too, right from the first
> moment it's installed :)
>
> So for point 1 i would say you really need 15Gb free to install ubuntu but you will probably need more for swap. You could probably get away with 10Gb but then swap might be best at 4Gb anyway, depending on ram
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
>
> However, there are plenty of gnu&linux distros that would be quite happy
> in under 1Gb or 2 including swap (assuming low ram) but they might not
> have all the heavy apps that Ubuntu has. For example they might use
> Claws instead of Thunderbird and AbiWord instead of OpenOffice. Some
> say that Claws is better anyway but i haven't tried it yet.
>
> Ages ago someone tried to show me how to set-up Thunderbird so that it
> could read straight from it's Windows version, sharing the data &
> settings that would be set-up in Windows. Essentially so that i could
> login to either Windows or Ubuntu and still access all the same emails
> from either without doing some strange synchronising kludge.
>
> I don't suppose you could copy a brief note into here about how you solved the question of this thread? It's quite late here so i'm probably not making much sense.
> Thanks, good luck and regards from
> Tom :)
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #18

I sought pro-help and found a Thunderbird answer that actually did NOT work. I believe that my problem is a change in password that I entered in WINDOWS. Now my incoming message arrive freely, but my outgoing messages are not accepted by smtp.live.com. I assume that my originally installed and saved password is no longer valid. Now I don't know how to delete the old password and be prompted to enter the new one. The MOZILLA THUNDERBIRD information advised to use the following procedure:

"Go to tools/options/advanced/saved passwords.....Choose View Saved Passwords.....Delete the password associated with mail.lehigh.edu. .... Then exit email and log in with new password.

There is no "option" choice in tools.

I can get to a "CONFIG EDITOR" by going to a
draft message/ Edit/ preferences/ Config Editor/ >>> mail.pop_password <<<

I can go to a "CONFIG EDITOR" by going to a
Thunderbird inbox/ Edit/ preferences/ Advanced/ Config Editor/
                             >>> mail.pop_password <<<

But I don't know how to delete it so that it will ask for it again. I also don't know how to delete and subsequently re-install the whole THUNDERBIRD application.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ASSISTANCE HERE!!

Tom (tom6) said : #19

Hi John

This question is 9 days old already. At best Launchpad can only deal with threads about 3 days old, although it depends on who is subscribed to it. Please re-post this as a new question so that everyone at the front desk sees it rather than just me & you
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mozilla-thunderbird/+addquestion
The best time-of-day to post seems to be about an half-an-hour before most americans get home from work because although many answerers are in Europe or Asia that seems to be the time when most answerers are in here waiting for the rush

Sorry about this
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

Please close this question because you have solved your Thunderbird mail issue here:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+question/82128

Thank you

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #21

Tom wrote:
> Your question #81551 on mozilla-thunderbird in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mozilla-thunderbird/+question/81551
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Tom proposed the following answer:
> Hi John
>
> This question is 9 days old already. At best Launchpad can only deal with threads about 3 days old, although it depends on who is subscribed to it. Please re-post this as a new question so that everyone at the front desk sees it rather than just me & you
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mozilla-thunderbird/+addquestion
> The best time-of-day to post seems to be about an half-an-hour before most americans get home from work because although many answerers are in Europe or Asia that seems to be the time when most answerers are in here waiting for the rush
>
> Sorry about this
> Good luck and regards from
> Tom :)
>
>
Hi Tom

Thank you for your comments. I did start another thread #82128 in which
I described my problem with sending emails. I started it as a bug report
and it was rejected as a bug and placed into this system. I am extremely
happy that I accidentally found the correct answer and am able to send
you this message from within UBUNTU. So now my question is this: should
the UBUNTU help system have provided me with a mechanism to find a
solution without my stumbling on to it? If the answer is yes, then is
this absence a legitimate bug?

The answer to my #82128 question was the following:

THUNDERBIRD/ Inbox/ Edit/ Preferences/ Privacy/ Edit Saved Passwords/
 Then highlight the site in question (....smtp.live.com)
Remove
Close
Then send message and a password is requested; when it is filled out the message was sent out

I guess I should close out # 81551 as well.

Regards John

John Rosing (rosingj) said : #22

The answer to my #82128 question was the following:

THUNDERBIRD/ Inbox/ Edit/ Preferences/ Privacy/ Edit Saved Passwords/
Then highlight the site in question (....smtp.live.com)
Remove
Close
Then send message and a password is requested; when it is filled out the message was sent out

Tom (tom6) said : #23

Hi :))

Brillant!! Nicely found! :)))
I'm glad you have managed to fix this problem too :))

You're lucky your bug-report got rejected! Mine tend to get completely ignored and don't even seem to attract enough attention to get rejected. Not always true but certainly the way it often feels. One bug-report led to a new feature being implemented which impressed me. The developer was very fast. Oh, and once there was a problem with Firefox in Gnome which got fixed extremely fast even though i though it was a minor issue. - But mostly my bug-reports seem to get ignored ;)

We don't know all the answers and as packages keep getting updated sometimes things change a little bit anyway, usually making things easier which is nice. Now that you have added this answer to the "Solved Answers" database then it should be a lot easier for people to find the answer if they have this trouble in the future. This is one reason i like volunteering in Answers - it's a great place to learn. Usually that's from the answers given by other volunteers here but sometimes it's someone like yourself that manages to find the answer from elsewhere. Also it pushes me into researching answers or double-checking my own observations or acquired knowledge.

So thanks for helping the community here with this problem and for joining in. It' all very much appreciated! :) Also congrats at fixing a fairly complex problem in an unfamiliar OS!
Thanks and regards from
Tom :)

Tom (tom6) said : #24

Hi :)

Have you been able to try the new Ubuntu 10.04 before it gets officially released?
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/testing/lucid/beta2
Trying it as a LiveCd or as an extra dual/multi-boot would be ideal. Developers and everyone are keen to try to iron out any problems before 10.04 gets officially released so you might find faster & more effective answers to your bug reports which would make 10.04 work better on your system for you

Thanks and regards from
Tom :)