Can I change the location of the “Ubuntu One” folder?

Asked by ondrejkovic on 2009-07-07

The sync folder is automatically at /home/user - but I need to change it, because I have just a small EEE netbook with very limited SSD but with enough place at /media/SDHCard - Can I simply move it? I think, that it is necessary to ad an item in the client.

I understand this was solved years ago. I was here searching for how to do it, and found it much simpler to so here's an update for anyone else needing to move the folder.

1st
In a terminal:
killall -w ubuntuone-syncdaemon

2nd
In a file manager:
drag the original folder to desired location or cut and paste
right click the folder and make a link, then move the link back to Home folder and rename to Ubuntu One

no permissions editing was necessary

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu One Client Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2009-07-09
Last reply:
2009-11-19
John Lenton (chipaca) said : #1

If you first quit the syncdaemon (you can do that by quitting the applet, or using killall ubuntuone-syncdaemon; make sure you have no nautilus windows open on the Ubuntu One tree or it will just start it again), you can move the whole Ubuntu One folder out to where you have more space (for which you need to change the permissions on the folder), and then create a symlink to that place from ~/Ubuntu\ One (the permissions will be changed back by the syncdaemon when it starts).

From the command line, that would be

    killall -w ubuntuone-syncdaemon && chmod u+w ~/Ubuntu\ One && mv ~/Ubuntu\ One/ /media/SDHCard && ln -s /media/SDHCard/Ubuntu\ One ~/Ubuntu\ One

and then you click 'connect' on the applet again.

ondrejkovic (ondrejkovic) said : #2

Thanks - I will try it as soon as possible.

David Ondrejkovic

John Lenton napsal(a):
> Your question #76321 on Ubuntu One Client changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
> John Lenton posted a new comment:
> If you first quit the syncdaemon (you can do that by quitting the
> applet, or using killall ubuntuone-syncdaemon; make sure you have no
> nautilus windows open on the Ubuntu One tree or it will just start it
> again), you can move the whole Ubuntu One folder out to where you have
> more space (for which you need to change the permissions on the folder),
> and then create a symlink to that place from ~/Ubuntu\ One (the
> permissions will be changed back by the syncdaemon when it starts).
>
> >From the command line, that would be
>
> killall -w ubuntuone-syncdaemon && chmod u+w ~/Ubuntu\ One && mv
> ~/Ubuntu\ One/ /media/SDHCard && ln -s /media/SDHCard/Ubuntu\ One
> ~/Ubuntu\ One
>
> and then you click 'connect' on the applet again.
>
>

ondrejkovic (ondrejkovic) said : #3

Sorry, it doesn*t work or I haven*t understand properly. Let it be!

David

John Lenton napsal(a):
> Your question #76321 on Ubuntu One Client changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
> John Lenton posted a new comment:
> If you first quit the syncdaemon (you can do that by quitting the
> applet, or using killall ubuntuone-syncdaemon; make sure you have no
> nautilus windows open on the Ubuntu One tree or it will just start it
> again), you can move the whole Ubuntu One folder out to where you have
> more space (for which you need to change the permissions on the folder),
> and then create a symlink to that place from ~/Ubuntu\ One (the
> permissions will be changed back by the syncdaemon when it starts).
>
> >From the command line, that would be
>
> killall -w ubuntuone-syncdaemon && chmod u+w ~/Ubuntu\ One && mv
> ~/Ubuntu\ One/ /media/SDHCard && ln -s /media/SDHCard/Ubuntu\ One
> ~/Ubuntu\ One
>
> and then you click 'connect' on the applet again.
>
>

Elliot Murphy (statik) said : #4

Marking as answered.

ondrejkovic (ondrejkovic) said : #5

Well, I have tried it several times, but I am not expert user. I don*t know if the command is tree lines or one line - for example.

I am standard stupid desktop user - if something is not clicable - I am not able to switch it on or off.

OK - some commands like "sudo apt-get install" I can perform, but this is very very difficult for me!

Please could you explain more what should I do? Like:

1) do this.....

2) send this command to terminal.......

3) close this window......

....like in wiki

Many thanks!

If my request is too stupid - please let it be - I will remove it from my netbook and will wait some months - maybe in next next next version there will be some "Settings" od "Options" in the menu of the applet.

David

Mark G. Saye (markgsaye) said : #6

I will split out the commands for you here, so hopefully it is more understandable. The following assumes that your user has permission to write files to the /media/SDHCard directory. Open a terminal and type the following commands (note here the ">" represents the terminal prompt - it may be different on your system, maybe a "#" or a "$" character)

> killall -w ubuntuone-syncdaemon

> chmod u+w ~/Ubuntu\ One

> mv ~/Ubuntu\ One/ /media/SDHCard

> ln -s /media/SDHCard/Ubuntu\ One ~/Ubuntu\ One

Then click on the Ubuntu One applet again. If any of the commands produce unexpected output (errors, or anything you don't understand), please paste the output here to help us know what happens. Thanks.

ondrejkovic (ondrejkovic) said : #7

All seems to work, but after clicking to start the applet again - it cerates the samoe folder at SSD (Home directory) and ignores the newly created at SDHC.
>---------------------------------------------------------
>Od: Mark G. Saye
>Přijato: 9.7.2009 13:43:47
>Předmět: Re: [Question #76321]: I need to move the folder in my EEE netb
>

John Lenton (chipaca) said : #8

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:09:08PM -0000, ondrejkovic wrote:
> All seems to work, but after clicking to start the applet again - it cerates the samoe folder at SSD (Home directory) and ignores the newly created at SDHC.

I suspect you forgot to create the symlink?

ondrejkovic (ondrejkovic) said : #9

I am too stupid to solve this problem myself.

If you can, put into applet in any next version a menu item "Options" - "Destination Folder" please.

If you remmember - please let me know.

>---------------------------------------------------------
>Od: John Lenton
>Přijato: 9.7.2009 15:21:24
>Předmět: Re: Re: [Question #76321]: I need to move the folder in my EEE netb
>
>Your question #76321 on Ubuntu One Client changed:
>
>https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
>
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
>
>
>John Lenton proposed the following answer:
>
>On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:09:08PM -0000, ondrejkovic wrote:
>
>> All seems to work, but after clicking to start the applet again - it cerates the samoe folder at SSD (Home directory) and ignores the newly created at SDHC.
>
>
>
>I suspect you forgot to create the symlink?
>
>
>
>--
>
>If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>
>know that it is solved:
>
>https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
>
>
>If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>
>following page to enter your feedback:
>
>https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
>
>
>You received this question notification because you are a direct
>
>subscriber of the question.
>
>
>
>

ondrejkovic (ondrejkovic) said : #10

How can I remove that from my netbook?

I have tried sudo apt-get remove ubuntuone-client-applet but it doesn*t work.

Thanks!

Double Stupid David

>---------------------------------------------------------
>Od: John Lenton
>Přijato: 9.7.2009 15:21:24
>Předmět: Re: Re: [Question #76321]: I need to move the folder in my EEE netb
>
>Your question #76321 on Ubuntu One Client changed:
>
>https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
>
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
>
>
>John Lenton proposed the following answer:
>
>On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:09:08PM -0000, ondrejkovic wrote:
>
>> All seems to work, but after clicking to start the applet again - it cerates the samoe folder at SSD (Home directory) and ignores the newly created at SDHC.
>
>
>
>I suspect you forgot to create the symlink?
>
>
>
>--
>
>If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>
>know that it is solved:
>
>https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
>
>
>If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>
>following page to enter your feedback:
>
>https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
>
>
>You received this question notification because you are a direct
>
>subscriber of the question.
>
>
>
>

John Lenton (chipaca) said : #11

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:33:12PM -0000, ondrejkovic wrote:
> Question #76321 on Ubuntu One Client changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+question/76321
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> ondrejkovic is still having a problem:
> I am too stupid to solve this problem myself.
>
> If you can, put into applet in any next version a menu item "Options" -
> "Destination Folder" please.
>
> If you remmember - please let me know.

If you could hop on IRC, I'm Chipaca on the #ubuntuone channel in
freenode. You can use http://webchat.freenode.net/

Cheers,

Roch Delsalle (mnml) said : #12

> killall -w ubuntuone-syncdaemon

> chmod u+w ~/Ubuntu\ One

> mv ~/Ubuntu\ One/ /new/folder/path/

> ln -s /new/folder/path/Ubuntu\ One ~/Ubuntu\ One

That worked for me

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask ondrejkovic for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.