I've been trying to install a "facebookPlugin-1.0.3.tar.gz. GDeb won't install it. and nothing else I try works.

Asked by Lance on 2010-03-05

Binary package hint: yelp

I've been trying to install a "facebookPlugin-1.0.3.tar.gz. GDeb won't install it. and nothing else I try works. this is the facebook plugin for uploading photos.

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Mar 5 18:11:50 2010
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/yelp
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: yelp 2.28.0-0ubuntu2
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-20.57-generic
SourcePackage: yelp
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-20-generic i686

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu yelp Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2010-03-10
Last reply:
2010-03-22
Lance (lancepilaf) said : #1
Pedro Villavicencio (pedro) said : #2

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and helping to make Ubuntu better. Examining the information you have given us, this does not appear to be a bug report so we are closing it and converting it to a question in the support tracker. We appreciate the difficulties you are facing, but it would make more sense to raise problems you are having in the support tracker at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu if you are uncertain if they are bugs. For help on reporting bugs, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#When%20not%20to%20file%20a%20bug.

Lance (lancepilaf) said : #3

i'm going to try to see if there is an executable file in the zip box. i had
forgotten about that. i will let you know either way.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Pedro Villavicencio <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #103759 on yelp in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759
>
> Pedro Villavicencio posted a new comment:
> Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and helping to make
> Ubuntu better. Examining the information you have given us, this does
> not appear to be a bug report so we are closing it and converting it to
> a question in the support tracker. We appreciate the difficulties you
> are facing, but it would make more sense to raise problems you are
> having in the support tracker at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu if
> you are uncertain if they are bugs. For help on reporting bugs, see
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#When%20not%20to%20file%20a%20bug
> .
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

zvacet (ivicakolic) said : #4

Right click on package>extract here and you should see folder with same name as package.See if you can find install file or read me file inside that folder with instructions how to install package.

Lance (lancepilaf) said : #5

My friend Derrek just told me the same thing. Thank you. Although I'm not
gonna do it on my cpu. I'm just trying to help a friend that uses facebook.
personally, facebook is a nuisance and likes to violate our rights to
privacy. But my friend, she likes the facebook thing. I told her she's
better off and much safer just leaving here house unlocked all the time with
a big sign out front that says: "Take any right. I don't need them anymore."
Then I told her I would gladly fix it for her. it has an .so, I will copy it
into my mozilla plug-in folder 1st to make sure I do it right. then I will
delete it from my pc. go to her house and get her pc right. thanks again.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:42 AM, zvacet <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #103759 on yelp in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> zvacet proposed the following answer:
> Right click on package>extract here and you should see folder with same
> name as package.See if you can find install file or read me file inside
> that folder with instructions how to install package.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Lance (lancepilaf) said : #6

I'm just having trouble finding the .mozilla/plugins in my directory. that
is where I'm supposed to copy the .so file.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Lance <<email address hidden>
> wrote:

> Your question #103759 on yelp in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> My friend Derrek just told me the same thing. Thank you. Although I'm not
> gonna do it on my cpu. I'm just trying to help a friend that uses
> facebook.
> personally, facebook is a nuisance and likes to violate our rights to
> privacy. But my friend, she likes the facebook thing. I told her she's
> better off and much safer just leaving here house unlocked all the time
> with
> a big sign out front that says: "Take any right. I don't need them
> anymore."
> Then I told her I would gladly fix it for her. it has an .so, I will copy
> it
> into my mozilla plug-in folder 1st to make sure I do it right. then I will
> delete it from my pc. go to her house and get her pc right. thanks again.
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:42 AM, zvacet <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Your question #103759 on yelp in ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > zvacet proposed the following answer:
> > Right click on package>extract here and you should see folder with same
> > name as package.See if you can find install file or read me file inside
> > that folder with instructions how to install package.
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> >
> >
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759/+confirm?answer_id=3
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yelp/+question/103759
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

zvacet (ivicakolic) said : #7

It should be under /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

zvacet (ivicakolic) said : #8

To be sure it is installed in FF address bar type about:plugins and see is it installed.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Lance for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.