Repository addresses jaunty - failed to fetch ????

Asked by chris warren on 2012-01-20

IN the Synaptic Package Manager - when I reload all I get is:

Failed to fetch http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

etc etc ad nuseum.

And the same from Australia:

Failed to fetch http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found

etc
etc.

I get the same when I try to download from Main Repository

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.170 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/restricted/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.170 80]
Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.170 80]

There is no proxy that I can see as I have a direct connection through a dialup modem.

I can only connect to the internet because I got wvdial from a CD, which works.

****************************************************************************

The file /etc/apt/sources.list is:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090421.3)]/ jaunty main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main restricted multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security universe

****************************************************

Thanks

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu synaptic Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Hilario J. Montoliu (hjmf)
Solved:
2012-01-20
Last query:
2012-01-20
Last reply:
2012-01-20

Jaunty is dead and gone as of 23rd October 2010
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

There is no more support for it anywhere. I suggest you upgrade to at least Lucid. Personally I'd cwait a few months and clean install Precise which is the next release but is also LTS. You could install it now, it is in Alpha.

chris warren (chris-canberra) said : #2

Is that really the answer ... that once versions are so-called "dead
and gone" that the repositories are also turned off?

On 1/20/12, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #185277 on synaptic in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Jaunty is dead and gone as of 23rd October 2010
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
> There is no more support for it anywhere. I suggest you upgrade to at
> least Lucid. Personally I'd cwait a few months and clean install Precise
> which is the next release but is also LTS. You could install it now, it
> is in Alpha.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

--
***********************************

   PO Box 437
   JAMISON ACT 2614

***********************************

Nathan Heafner (nathan1465-5) said : #3

Hello Chris,
At a certain point Ubuntu Releases have to be discontinued and no longer supported so that those developers can continue to work on and support newer versions.

releases can be found here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I would recommend upgrading.

Hi chris warren,

If you still need to install packages related you can setup your own local repo by using the CD image which is still avalable at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com (you may want to search for the DVD image instead which will be more complete)

That should be enough for a jaunty installation as there will be no new updates

Not tested, but this may work for you if you are interested:

mkdir -p /mnt/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-iso
cd /var/local/
wget http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/jaunty/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
mount -o loop,unhide -t iso9660 -r /var/local/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso /mnt/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-iso/
apt-cdrom -d /mntubuntu-9.04-desktop-iso/ add

Also if you wan't to make the mount point always available you can create a fstab entry, eg:

/var/local/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso /mnt/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-iso iso9660 loop,defaults 0 0

HTH

--
hmontoliu <at> ubuntu.com
http://hmontoliu.blogspot.com

chris warren (chris-canberra) said : #5

Thanks, this certainly clears things up.

The fact that Ubuntu manages releases like this - by arbitarily cutting-off repositories is bizarre, and means Ubuntu cannot be considered as a practical, useful, operating system for the community.

The rigmarole involved contradicts Ubuntu's mantra of "Linux for the people"

Ubuntu is not this.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 20/01/12 22:40, chris warren wrote:
> Question #185277 on synaptic in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277
>
> Status: Answered => Solved
>
> chris warren confirmed that the question is solved:
>
> Thanks, this certainly clears things up.
>
> The fact that Ubuntu manages releases like this - by arbitarily
> cutting- off repositories is bizarre, and means Ubuntu cannot be
> considered as a practical, useful, operating system for the
> community.
>
> The rigmarole involved contradicts Ubuntu's mantra of "Linux for
> the people"
>
> Ubuntu is not this.
>

Every two years Ubuntu releases a Long Term Support (LTS) release.

Ubuntu supports those releases with updates for 5 years (3 for the
desktop version, but will be 5 years too for the next LTS).

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Indeed, I still have some serves with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with full
support. That version one year older than your jaunty :-)

- --
Hilario J. Montoliu
hmontoliu <at> ubuntu.com
http://hmontoliu.blogspot.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk8abeUACgkQk9xSKJO/Y0FNwgCfTDQ8Ee1IHwLvILPgvNe6rxdW
v6sAnRAb3WujX/NVdr8rCppsKK3JSUoi
=MDuX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

chris warren (chris-canberra) said : #7

Thanks

The information is worth considering.

The issue is less Long-term support, but Long-term functionality.

I still use DOS and QBASIC for easy access to ports.

The underlying issue is - how computers interact with people, what
requirements they put on avergae folk for simple tasks, and demands on
hardware. A perfectly god computer system should be able to run on
Pentium 1, with 256 meg memory.

On 1/21/12, Hilario J. Montoliu (hjmf)
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #185277 on synaptic in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277
>
> Hilario J. Montoliu (hjmf) posted a new comment:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> On 20/01/12 22:40, chris warren wrote:
>> Question #185277 on synaptic in Ubuntu changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277
>>
>> Status: Answered => Solved
>>
>> chris warren confirmed that the question is solved:
>>
>> Thanks, this certainly clears things up.
>>
>> The fact that Ubuntu manages releases like this - by arbitarily
>> cutting- off repositories is bizarre, and means Ubuntu cannot be
>> considered as a practical, useful, operating system for the
>> community.
>>
>> The rigmarole involved contradicts Ubuntu's mantra of "Linux for
>> the people"
>>
>> Ubuntu is not this.
>>
>
> Every two years Ubuntu releases a Long Term Support (LTS) release.
>
> Ubuntu supports those releases with updates for 5 years (3 for the
> desktop version, but will be 5 years too for the next LTS).
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
>
> Indeed, I still have some serves with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS with full
> support. That version one year older than your jaunty :-)
>
> - --
> Hilario J. Montoliu
> hmontoliu <at> ubuntu.com
> http://hmontoliu.blogspot.com
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAk8abeUACgkQk9xSKJO/Y0FNwgCfTDQ8Ee1IHwLvILPgvNe6rxdW
> v6sAnRAb3WujX/NVdr8rCppsKK3JSUoi
> =MDuX
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

--
***********************************

   PO Box 437
   JAMISON ACT 2614

***********************************

Sure, use Lubuntu, Puppy, Slitaz or TinyCore to name but a few linux distributions aimed at low lovel hardware and it will run.

chris warren (chris-canberra) said : #9

Thanks

Lubuntu sounds interesting.

On 1/22/12, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #185277 on synaptic in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+question/185277
>
> actionparsnip posted a new comment:
> Sure, use Lubuntu, Puppy, Slitaz or TinyCore to name but a few linux
> distributions aimed at low lovel hardware and it will run.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

--
***********************************

   PO Box 437
   JAMISON ACT 2614

***********************************