force password required on login administrator

Asked by Royalist on 2012-09-26

I am administrator and there are two other standard user accounts. I want to force a demand for entry of my password on login.

What I have done so far:

[CODE] gksu cp /home/roy/.gnome2 /home/roy/.gnome2.backup[/CODE]

[CODE]sudo rm /home/roy/.gnome2/keyrings/roy.keyring[/CODE] as my password has recently been changed and keyring does not accept any password that I enter.

In gui opened user accounts - unlocked my account - disabled "automatic login - off" - rebooted. Logged in with 'Enter' key only (no password required). Rebooted

Logged in again with 'Enter' key only (no password required again). In gui opened user accounts - unlocked my account - enabled "automatic login - off" - rebooted.

Logged in with 'Enter' key only again (no password required again).

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu shadow Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Royalist
Solved:
2012-10-22
Last query:
2012-10-22
Last reply:
2012-10-02

This question was reopened

sudo chage -d 0 name

Will make the password expire and need to be reset next time. Is this what you mean?

Roy Symes (royalist10) said : #2

No. There is nothing wrong with the password. The system just does not
demand it to be entered at login.

Regards Roy Symes

On 26/09/12 12:20, actionparsnip wrote:
> Your question #209615 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/209615
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> sudo chage -d 0 name
>
> Will make the password expire and need to be reset next time. Is this
> what you mean?
>

--

ooooh so you configured autologin and now want to make users use username and password to access the system. Is this correct?

Roy Symes (royalist10) said : #4

NO I DIDN'T!!

I do not want users necessarily to login. This has nothing to do with
other user accoounts, but I, as administrator, do NOT want them to
access my account.

Regards Roy Symes

On 26/09/12 13:55, actionparsnip wrote:
> Your question #209615 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/209615
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> ooooh so you configured autologin and now want to make users use
> username and password to access the system. Is this correct?
>

--

Then you will need them to log in, or have autologin configured for a different account. Obviously if you setup autologin to your own account they will have access. The ACLs on the folders prevent users accessing data you don't want them to have. You will get access to your account using your password, unless users guess or learn your password they will not be able to access your account.

Roy Symes (royalist10) said : #6

Never mind. You haven't understood

On 26/09/12 14:41, actionparsnip wrote:
> Your question #209615 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/209615
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Then you will need them to log in, or have autologin configured for a
> different account. Obviously if you setup autologin to your own account
> they will have access. The ACLs on the folders prevent users accessing
> data you don't want them to have. You will get access to your account
> using your password, unless users guess or learn your password they will
> not be able to access your account.
>

--
Regards Roy Symes

Warren Hill (warren-hill) said : #7

OK first I have not tried this but if you go into Settings > User Accounts there is a swicth to allow or not allow Automatic Login.

I'm using Gnome-panel at the moment so I'm not sure where you find this on the dash but it must be there somewhere.

Doesn't this switch work on a user by user basis? Meaning that if you set your accont to No a password will be required. Other accounts can be set seperatley.

If it doesn't then I think this should be reported as a bug.

Roy Symes (royalist10) said : #8

I have changed that switch numerous times to no effect

On 26/09/12 15:45, Warren Hill wrote:
> Your question #209615 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/209615
>
> Warren Hill proposed the following answer:
> OK first I have not tried this but if you go into Settings > User
> Accounts there is a swicth to allow or not allow Automatic Login.
>
> I'm using Gnome-panel at the moment so I'm not sure where you find this
> on the dash but it must be there somewhere.
>
> Doesn't this switch work on a user by user basis? Meaning that if you
> set your accont to No a password will be required. Other accounts can
> be set seperatley.
>
> If it doesn't then I think this should be reported as a bug.
>

--
Regards Roy Symes

Royalist (royalist10-2) said : #9

I have thought more and have updated to Ubuntu 12.04 and the problem persists. So I have decided to try setting up a new admin account for myself, which will have autologin disabled from the beginning. I hpe that this will do the job. Thanks very much for your help!

Royalist (royalist10-2) said : #10

Further comments and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks all!!

Mat H (mat.hd) said : #11

Hi i have been locked out of my administrator account for about a week and have checked i have the correct password. The other user account has no password and logs in directly. I'm using 12.04Lts 64 and i cannot get access to update my comp.!
I'm a long time Ubuntu user since Karmic 9.10 and know i have been using the correct password and cannot understand how this could have happened.???
 Should i force a password change for my administrator account ? What are the safeguards ?

Roy Symes (royalist10) said : #12

Mat, I'm the last one to ask, but I do know the SIMPLE answer to that
provided that it does not turn out to be more complicated.

 From Recovery mode at bootup when you see the grub screen. Select
"Recovery Mode" then select "Drop down to root". When the 'dust has
settled', you will see the prompt at the bottom of the screen. If you
are administrator type: -
[CODE]sudo passwd -a -S [/Code]. This shows the status of all passwords.
If you see 'NP' against a username, this is no password required. If 'P'
password required.

Then you can set your new, or what you thought was your existing
password by [CODE]sudo passwd <username>[/Code], (where username is your
login name). You will not need to enter your previous password, but you
can if that is what you want. You will then be prompted to re-enter the
same password. If you are lucky, that will do it.

For further and full details [CODE]man passwd[/Code]

I hope this helps, but I expect that you may have already been there.

To leave the root command prompt when you are finished, I type exit and
then [CODE]sudo reboot [/Code]

On 02/10/12 15:45, Mat H wrote:
> Your question #209615 on shadow in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+question/209615
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Mat H requested more information:
> Hi i have been locked out of my administrator account for about a week and have checked i have the correct password. The other user account has no password and logs in directly. I'm using 12.04Lts 64 and i cannot get access to update my comp.!
> I'm a long time Ubuntu user since Karmic 9.10 and know i have been using the correct password and cannot understand how this could have happened.???
> Should i force a password change for my administrator account ? What are the safeguards ?

Mat H (mat.hd) said : #13

Thanks for trying to help seems my passwords got bogged down in layers of paper work can you believe.
I went directly into printer in my administration account and re-enabled it and it worked for the user account aswell. Although my problem seems solved another 2 questions appear -- how did my printer get disabled in the first place ? -- strange don't you think ! Separate to the printer thing i had to put Libre office back on to the left hand widget bar and lock it for the first time.! I find that very odd that it went missing -- really wierd ??

Royalist (royalist10-2) said : #14

I don't think that you mentioned the printer in your original posting. However, all seems to be well now I gather?
Regarding the lost link in the Launcher bar to Libre Office Writer, it is very easy to accidentally to remove a programme from the launchbar and quite simple to replace it if lost using "Dash".

I just found the problem with my printer. It turned out to be low ink in three cartridges, but as Ubuntu does not report on Canon ink levels, I had to start Windows XP to see the cause of the problem. That is using the Canon 'cnijfilter' software.