Gutenprint driver for Epson SC P600 (absent in Bionic)

Asked by Adrian Midgley on 2020-01-31

There is mention of a Gutenprint driver (experimental) in the GitHub chatter for a couple of years ago, and of it being in Gutenprint 5.2.12
I can't find it in the 5.2.13-2 that is in Bionic at the moment.

I now have a printer of that model, and would like to steer clear of proprietary stuff for printing to it.

Short of making an installation from the GitHub tarball, is there a way of finding the driver in Ubuntu?

The printer is now one of the not uncommon serious photo printers.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu gutenprint Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
Last reply:
Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #1

What exactly are you missing?

Ubuntu bionic has got a package named "printer-driver-gutenprint" with a description "printer drivers for CUPS", which among others contains the file "/usr/lib/cups/driver/gutenprint.5.2".

Adrian Midgley (akm530293) said : #2

Exactly what is missing is a driver for the printer named in the title.

An SC P600

That's a photographic printer, so the missing driver should be similar to
the one for the Epson R2400 which works rather well and gives comprehensive
control of the printer.

Not a generic text printer driver.

Odd answer actually, to a question with a title as above followed by
mention of serious photography

Any assistance will be appreciated.

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020, 15:52 Manfred Hampl, <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #688395 on gutenprint in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
> What exactly are you missing?
>
> Ubuntu bionic has got a package named "printer-driver-gutenprint" with a
> description "printer drivers for CUPS", which among others contains the
> file "/usr/lib/cups/driver/gutenprint.5.2".
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #3

Sorry if misinterpreted your question, but the printer type is not mentioned anywhere in your text (only in the title).
So I wrongly assumed that you are looking for a generic driver.

You write "absent in bionic" - did you already find such driver for any other Ubuntu release?

Adrian Midgley (akm530293) said : #4

I'm running Bionic.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, 22:02 Manfred Hampl, <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #688395 on gutenprint in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395
>
> Manfred Hampl posted a new comment:
> Sorry if misinterpreted your question, but the printer type is not
> mentioned anywhere in your text (only in the title).
> So I wrongly assumed that you are looking for a generic driver.
>
> You write "absent in bionic" - did you already find such driver for any
> other Ubuntu release?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #5

You already wrote that you are running Ubuntu bionic.
You stressed in your question title that is is "absent in Bionic", so the question is whether it is just absent in the versions for bionic, or in ALL versions on Ubuntu. Have you checked this?

Adrian Midgley (akm530293) said : #6

I'm unsure how to determine that.
In Debian, I'd look in Testing, and if necessary in Unstable.

I'm running the current LTS Ubuntu, which seems prudent, but my desired
outcome is to add the driver described as "experimental" from wherever it
may be found, to that installation.
The purpose is to enable me to print photographs wonderfully from this
printer.

The previous printer, an R2400, was driven well, but the hardware has
failed and is not now maintainable, hence a new printer.

If you meant am I reporting that it is a flaw only in Bionic, no.

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020, 09:23 Manfred Hampl, <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #688395 on gutenprint in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395
>
> Manfred Hampl posted a new comment:
> You already wrote that you are running Ubuntu bionic.
> You stressed in your question title that is is "absent in Bionic", so the
> question is whether it is just absent in the versions for bionic, or in ALL
> versions on Ubuntu. Have you checked this?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #9

According to http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php there is some experimental functionality for Epson SureColor P600 in Gutenprint 5.3.3.

Please look also at https://sourceforge.net/p/gimp-print/discussion/134458/thread/dcc66d28
Maybe that forum would be a better resource than this Ubuntu question area, because (as you stated at the beginning) Ubuntu (bionic) does not provide such printer driver.

Adrian Midgley (akm530293) said : #10

I've seen that page.
It appears fraudulent if not malign.
The text is machine-generated and makes no sense when read.

It really didn't bear on my problem or intention or the question I
attempted to ask.

But thanks.

Adrian Midgley http://defoam.net/ http://defoam.net/photo.defoam.net/

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 at 14:13, bernard stafford
<email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Your question #688395 on gutenprint in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395
>
> bernard stafford proposed the following answer:
> https://esupportepson.com/epson-surecolor-sc-p600-driver-download/
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gutenprint/+question/688395
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #11

I agree with you that esupportepson.com is dubious.

But what do you think about the sourceforge links that I posted in comment #9 ?

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Adrian Midgley for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.