want to switch to Windows temporarily

Asked by Omar Farouki on 2018-02-04

please let me know how I can switch to Windows temporarily

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu firefox Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2018-02-07
Last query:
2018-02-07
Last reply:
2018-02-07

Do you dual boot your system or is Ubuntu the only OS available?

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #2

many thanks for your reply
Ubuntu is the only OS available now
how can I get Windows as well cheaply?
and how do I transfer from one to the other

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 11:32 AM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Do you dual boot your system or is Ubuntu the only OS available?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Do you want to setup a dual boot? If you only want to use Windows for basic things then virtualbox will allow you to run it in a VM. Games will not play in virtualbox. You will obviously need a full Windows license for this.

You can download the ISO from Microsoft and install it for free for the trial period. After that you will need to pay.

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #4

Many thanks again for your reply.
I do not want to play games.
My immediate problem was that, using Ubuntu, I could not find a driver for
a device (an A4 document copier) the instructions of which necessitate
applying Windows 95 or 98 to find the driver!!
Hope you could please shed some light on a possible solution.
Thanks again for your trouble.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 6:27 AM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Do you want to setup a dual boot? If you only want to use Windows for
> basic things then virtualbox will allow you to run it in a VM. Games
> will not play in virtualbox. You will obviously need a full Windows
> license for this.
>
> You can download the ISO from Microsoft and install it for free for the
> trial period. After that you will need to pay.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+
> question/664037/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

What make and model is the printer?

Or copier

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #7

thanks for your reply again
it's an item (German) I recently got from amazon
Mustek Scanner 1200 UB
it came with an installation CD for use with Windows 95 or 98 (also
possibly with a mac)
it has a usb connection but needs a driver before installing
hope you can make sense of this!!

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 8:42 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> What make and model is the printer?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

OK, what is the output of:

lsb_release -a; uname -a

Thanks

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #11

thanks
 but sorry I don't understand what you wrote
i.e. Isb............
please explain
thanks

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:03 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Needs information => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=154429
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+
> question/664037/+confirm?answer_id=8
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #12

thanks but how do I deal with these guides
I'm a novice on ubuntu

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:09 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> https://ssnjara.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/howto-install-mustek-1200-ub-
> plus-scanner-on-ubuntu-11-10/
>
> Lots of native driver guides
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+
> question/664037/+confirm?answer_id=9
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Copy the line I gave and press CTRL + ALT + T

Paste the command into the terminal and press ENTER

Copy the output and paste as an update on
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #14

Thanks for all your help but unfortunately I have to give up!
I did as you said and the result was:
'No lsb modules are available'
Your support was much appreciated.
Best regards

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 8:52 AM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Copy the line I gave and press CTRL + ALT + T
>
> Paste the command into the terminal and press ENTER
>
> Copy the output and paste as an update on
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

What is the rest of the output. Copy it ALL and paste as an update

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #16

thanks
output you asked for is:

No lsb modules are available
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description Ubuntu 11.04
Release 11.04
Codename natty
Linux omar_desktop
2.6.38-16-generic
 *67-Ubuntu SHP
Thu Sep6 2012

hope this makes sense and would welcome your comments on this
The last time I regularly used ubuntu was several years ago
when I found my pc would not allow upgrade from 11.04
Also I found ubuntu difficult to use and had too many code input
requirements.

I don't want to trouble you further
I am nearly resigned to failure in this respect

Many thanks again for all your time

Omar

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 7:27 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> What is the rest of the output. Copy it ALL and paste as an update
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Natty is end of life and no longer supported in any way. I suggest you wipe the install off and do a clean install of Xenial (Ubuntu 16.04). Xenial is LTS and supported until April 2021

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #18

Many thanks for your advice. I'll try what you say.

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 1:09 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #664037 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Natty is end of life and no longer supported in any way. I suggest you
> wipe the install off and do a clean install of Xenial (Ubuntu 16.04).
> Xenial is LTS and supported until April 2021
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+
> question/664037/+confirm?answer_id=16
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/664037
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Omar Farouki (otfarouki) said : #19

yes I know what to do now
thanks