having problem removing bing from firefox

Asked by william zuk on 2013-10-01

some how bing got installed on firefox i was searching for a manual for a bing carburetor and something popped up saying bing look for manual you need and but it prompted you to install toolbar whioh was removable but then i realised it installed bing as dearch engine which i've learnt is micrsoft sponsered and people were not able to removeit. i tried uninstalling firefox but when re=installed bing is still there i do not want anything related to microsoft on my computer. can you help

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu firefox Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Warren Hill
Solved:
2013-10-03
Last query:
2013-10-03
Last reply:
2013-10-01
Thomas Krüger (thkrueger) said : #1

Unlike in Windows uninstalling and reinstalling a software does not reset it's user configuration on Linux.
There might have been an extension installed. Check the Tools → Add-Ons → Extensions menu and see if there is such an add-on. You should have the option to remove or deactivate it. The bar should be gone once firefox is restarted.

You can switch the search engine to your preference by clicking the small triangle on the left side of the search field in the right top corner.

David Pires (slickymaster) said : #2

The installed versions of Bing are usually add-ons . You should be able to delete it from manage search engines list or remove it from add-ons if using Firefox.

Try this:
1 - Launch Firefox.
2 - Type "about:config" in the location bar.
3 - Click on the button that reads, "I'll be careful, I promise!" on the screen that warns you about your warranty.
4 - Type "keyword.URL" in the filter bar.
5 - Right-click on "keyword.URL" in the search results. Click "Reset."

If you remove bing, what will be in it's place?

william zuk (wbzuk2) said : #4

i tried that it did not work

On 10/1/13, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #236647 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/236647
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> If you remove bing, what will be in it's place?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/236647
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

william zuk (wbzuk2) said : #5

ok i fixed it by resetting firefox startup page to default

On 10/1/13, william zuk <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #236647 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/236647
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> i tried that it did not work
>
> On 10/1/13, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
>> Your question #236647 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/236647
>>
>> actionparsnip requested more information:
>> If you remove bing, what will be in it's place?
>>
>> --
>> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
>> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/236647
>>
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>>
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Best Warren Hill (warren-hill) said : #6

If the problem is fixed please mark it solved as it makes it easier for others with the same or a similar problem to find it.

william zuk (wbzuk2) said : #7

Thanks Warren Hill, that solved my question.