deja-dup files - what are they for?

Asked by me@mogenseliasen.com on 2018-11-06

My computer is significantly slowed down of deja-dup files that now take up more than 2/3 of the available memory. I store all my working files on a separate memory. Do I really need those deja-dup files? It is safe to free up memory by deleting some of them or all of them?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Expired
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2018-11-27
Last reply:
2018-12-13

Dejadup is a backup system. Do you use this?

me@mogenseliasen.com (x-ge-u) said : #2

No. I don't even know how to use it.

me@mogenseliasen.com (x-ge-u) said : #3

Сan I safely delete files in that folder without disturbing the main functions?

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said : #4

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Needs information' state without activity for the last 15 days.

me@mogenseliasen.com (x-ge-u) said : #5

I am still missing an answer to my question: Can I safely delete those
deja-dup file without damaging the operating system?  I have my back-ops
elsewhere, on a removable hard-drive

On 2018-11-22 01:53 AM, Launchpad Janitor wrote:
> Your question #675962 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/675962
>
> Status: Needs information => Expired
>
> Launchpad Janitor expired the question:
> This question was expired because it remained in the 'Needs information'
> state without activity for the last 15 days.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #6

About which kind of "memory" are you talking - RAM or hard disk?

Deja-dup does not create files out of nothing. It seems that you once have configured Deja-dup to run and create backups.
Before you start deleting files you should check the configuration of Deja-dup. It might well be that you have configured it to regularly run. In that case deleting the backup files would not help at all, because they would be re-created with the next run.

See https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup for information about Deja-dup

me@mogenseliasen.com (x-ge-u) said : #7

Both kinds of memory.  There is not enough RAM to run with a reasonable
speed, and there is not enough ROM to generate error reports, for instance.

The link does not help me at all to access the setting of deja-dup and
make changes.  I have no idea how to do that.  I don't know what to do.

On 2018-11-23 01:23 AM, Manfred Hampl wrote:
> Your question #675962 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/675962
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
> About which kind of "memory" are you talking - RAM or hard disk?
>
> Deja-dup does not create files out of nothing. It seems that you once have configured Deja-dup to run and create backups.
> Before you start deleting files you should check the configuration of Deja-dup. It might well be that you have configured it to regularly run. In that case deleting the backup files would not help at all, because they would be re-created with the next run.
>
> See https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup for information about Deja-dup
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #8

What you wrote is somewhat contradictory.

Your question title talks about "deja-dup files". These are stored on a hard disk, which is neither RAM nor ROM.

me@mogenseliasen.com (x-ge-u) said : #9

The computer itself calls it "free memory", when it tells me I don't
have enough of it, and it grinds to a halt I can only get out of by
making a forced restart.  And then it is way slower than before.

When I create an overview of how the memory in the computer is
allocated, it shows that deja-dup files take up the vast majority of the
space I have available.  I have no clue, if the technical term for this
is "free memory", RAM, or ROM, "Hard-disk, or "Drive" - or something
else, and I really don't think it is relevant to my question.

I understand enough to understand that the size of the deja-dup files
are too big for my computer to function, and I need to reduce the space
allowed for them.  But I have no clue HOW.  Can you help me with that?

On 2018-11-27 01:03 AM, Manfred Hampl wrote:
> Your question #675962 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/675962
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
> What you wrote is somewhat contradictory.
>
> Your question title talks about "deja-dup files". These are stored on a
> hard disk, which is neither RAM nor ROM.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #10

Distinguishing hard disk storage from computer memory (RAM) definitely is relevant for your question.
There are different actions needed if you run out of space on these.

For diagnostic purposes please provide the output that you receive for the commands

free -m
df -h | grep '^/dev/'

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said : #11

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Needs information' state without activity for the last 15 days.