Create a Northern Sámi team for Ubuntu translations

Asked by Christopher Forster on 2012-04-17

Hi, Ubuntu translations is not available in "Northern Sámi". Can I apply for a “Ubuntu Northern Sámi Translators” team? I would appreciate your kind help.

Best regards,
Christopher

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu Translations Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Christopher Forster
Solved:
2012-07-24
Last query:
2012-07-24
Last reply:
2012-07-19
Milo Casagrande (milo) said : #1

Hello Christopher,

thank you for contacting us.

In order for us to appoint an Ubuntu Northern Sami translation team, we need you to go through the list of actions that you can find here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/StartingTeam

Those instructions will ensure us that the team follows our convention, and follows what other Ubuntu translation teams have done.
If you need any other help, please do not hesitate to ask us.

Ciao.

Before you apply

Here's the checklist to create a new Ubuntu translations team:

    (./) Check for an existing team.

No existing team? What about? https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/dapper/+source/kdebase/+pots/kicker/se

    (./) Natural language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages

    (./) Locale, keyboard and fonts. Make sure the language has a defined code, keyboard and fonts. You can skip this step if your language fulfills all requirements.

LANG=se_NO
LANGUAGE=se_NO:nb_NO:nb:no_NO:no:nn_NO:nn:da:sv:en
LC_CTYPE="se_NO"
LC_NUMERIC="se_NO"
LC_TIME="se_NO"
LC_COLLATE="se_NO"
LC_MONETARY="se_NO"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER="se_NO"
LC_NAME="se_NO"
LC_ADDRESS="se_NO"
LC_TELEPHONE="se_NO"
LC_MEASUREMENT="se_NO"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="se_NO"
LC_ALL=

    (./) Launchpad team. Create a new Launchpad team for your language. The team's name must accord to the following rules:

        ubuntu-l10n-<ISO 639 language code> - Where <ISO 639 language code> is a two-letter or a three-letter (if the two-letter one is not available) ISO 639 code. You can search for the code for your language here. If you don't find your code there, you may want to look at the more comprehensive ISO 639-3 list

http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=sme

    (./) Moderated subscription. Make the subscription policy of the new team Moderated or Restricted. Only this way you can ensure the quality of translations and make sure that upstream translations are not modified for no good reason.

???

    (./) Team information. Add some brief information on the team's page. This should include:
        A welcome note with the purpose of the team
        A note on how to join the team
        Links to the team's existing communication channels (e.g. mailing list, forums, IRC channel, wiki, etc)

http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/samisk/index.html.en

    (./) Team communication. The team should have a communication channel to coordinate the translation activities. This can be any of: a mailing list, IRC, forums, etc. This can be arranged after the team has been accepted, but it is a requirement.

Northern Sami support in Linux mailing list: https://lister.ping.uio.no/mailman/lister.ping.uio.no/listinfo/i18n-sme

    (./) Guidelines. The team should have a set of translation guidelines. This can be arranged after the team has been accepted, but it is a requirement.

???

    (./) Upstream collaboration. The team should be aware of any upstream translation efforts (e.g. GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, Debian, etc.), and coordinate with them if possible. You'll find more information about the different upstreams here.

http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=se

    (./) Coordinator. The team should have a coordinator, who should subscribe to the ubuntu-translators mailing list and forward any relevant announcements or information to the team. It is recommended that all team coordinators read the best practices for the role.

??? Might kindly ask Børre Gaup https://launchpad.net/~boerre

Milo Casagrande (milo) said : #3

Hello Christopher,

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Christopher Forster
<email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Here's the checklist to create a new Ubuntu translations team:
>
>    (./) Check for an existing team.
>
> No existing team? What about?
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/dapper/+source/kdebase/+pots/kicker/se

actually, there is no team in Launchpad for your language, nor there
is one assigned for that locale.
What you see are probably translation imports from upstream projects.

The important links for us are:
- https://translations.launchpad.net/+groups/ubuntu-translators
where there is the list of translation teams appointed to a language,
and Northern Sami has none;
- https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-se → which should be the link of
the Northern Sami Ubuntu translation team, and it doesn't exist.

Before appointing a team to the Northern Sami, we need that team as
detailed on the wiki page.

>    (./) Launchpad team. Create a new Launchpad team for your language.
> The team's name must accord to the following rules:
>
>        ubuntu-l10n-<ISO 639 language code> - Where <ISO 639 language
> code> is a two-letter or a three-letter (if the two-letter one is not
> available) ISO 639 code. You can search for the code for your language
> here. If you don't find your code there, you may want to look at the
> more comprehensive ISO 639-3 list
>
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=sme

This is the part that we need, you need to create this team:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-se

>    (./) Moderated subscription. Make the subscription policy of the new
> team Moderated or Restricted. Only this way you can ensure the quality
> of translations and make sure that upstream translations are not
> modified for no good reason.
>
> ???

When you create the team you can choose to have it open to everybody
(meaning that anybody can translate in Northern Sami, even if they do
not speak it, or moderated, so that people have to be approved my the
admins of the team before they can really translate, they will be only
able to suggest new translations that Launchpad will show you, but
they will no modify any translations).

>
>    (./) Team information. Add some brief information on the team's page. This should include:
>        A welcome note with the purpose of the team
>        A note on how to join the team
>        Links to the team's existing communication channels (e.g. mailing list, forums, IRC channel, wiki, etc)
>
> http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/samisk/index.html.en
>
>    (./) Team communication. The team should have a communication
> channel to coordinate the translation activities. This can be any of: a
> mailing list, IRC, forums, etc. This can be arranged after the team has
> been accepted, but it is a requirement.
>
> Northern Sami support in Linux mailing list:
> https://lister.ping.uio.no/mailman/lister.ping.uio.no/listinfo/i18n-sme

These two links should be linked inside the team, in the team description.

>    (./) Guidelines. The team should have a set of translation
> guidelines. This can be arranged after the team has been accepted, but
> it is a requirement.
>
> ???

Translations guidelines should be link from the team page. Guidelines
here means that you have instructions in order to help new translators
understand your workflow, your glossary (how to translated one
word...).

>    (./) Upstream collaboration. The team should be aware of any
> upstream translation efforts (e.g. GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice.org,
> Debian, etc.), and coordinate with them if possible. You'll find more
> information about the different upstreams here.
>
> http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=se
>
>    (./) Coordinator. The team should have a coordinator, who should
> subscribe to the ubuntu-translators mailing list and forward any
> relevant announcements or information to the team. It is recommended
> that all team coordinators read the best practices for the role.
>
> ??? Might kindly ask Børre Gaup https://launchpad.net/~boerre

If you create the team, you could be the coordinator of the team as
well, or whoever you prefer.
After the team has been created, it is up to you to manage it, or to
give management to another person.

Before moving forward, we need you to create the ubuntu-l10n-se team.
Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <email address hidden>

If I would accept to become the coordinator of the Northern Saami Team I would like to, at least at the moment, to reserve my work as merely microvolunteering. I would also need a little help getting started with creating the Northern Saami Team. Thank you for all of your help! I know of talented linguists that fully understand the Saami language too.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) said : #5

This question was expired because it remained in the 'Open' state without activity for the last 15 days.

Can someone help me make a move to start the new Northern Saami team? All help is greatly appreciated.

Milo Casagrande (milo) said : #7

Hello Christopher,

apologies for the late reply. In order to move forward, you need first to create the team for your Language.
Go here:
https://launchpad.net/people/+newteam

And in 'Name' write: ubuntu-l10n-se
Fill up the other fields too, and for the 'Subscription policy' choose 'Moderated Team'.
In the description, write something both in English as an introduction, and also in your language.

Once the team is created, you will be the owner, once you find someone else that want to help, you can change that later.

Milo Casagrande (milo) said : #8

Hey Christopher,

I lost one of your reply!
Sure, for the moment you can microvolounteer, it is not a problem, the important thing is to get things moving and spread the voice! Once you have more people in the team, you can always change.

Requesting registration of the “Ubuntu Northern Saami Translators” team to begin translating https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/203828

I've created the “Ubuntu Northern Saami Translators” team at https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-se now. I will spread the word on Facebook & a translation group there. Thanks Milo for all of your help!

From your answer from question number 203828: "This is now done!". Thanks once again Milo for all of your help! Ciao.

Could someone please update the Ubuntu repository? language-pack-gnome-se, language-pack-gnome-se-base (version 1:11.10+20110616) & language-pack-kde-se, language-pack-kde-se-base, language-pack-se, language-pack-se-base (version 1:12.04+20120417) to the latest Ubuntu translations in Northern Saami? Thank you in advance.

David Planella (dpm) said : #12

Hi Christopher,

In general, it is best if you open new support requests as separate questions. Otherwise, it makes it extremely difficult to track what's been solved and what's new.

Ubuntu 11.10 is a release that is a year old, and we have stopped releasing language packs for it [1]. Could you please:

- Open a separate question for this request (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+addquestion)
- Explain why you need language packs for precisely for 11.10

Thanks.

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/OneiricLanguagePackReleaseSchedule