Translation process for Natty

Asked by A. Decorte on 2011-02-09

Hi, I'm the admin of Friulian translation team; I'd like to know if we can already start translating Natty or we should wait for automatic imports, because now maverick's translations are seen as suggestions so you need to approve them one by one. Sorry if the question is silly, but I've been inactive for a while and I forgot how it works ;-)

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu Translations Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2011-02-09
Last reply:
2011-02-23
David Planella (dpm) said : #1

El dc 09 de 02 de 2011 a les 09:09 +0000, en/na A. Decorte va escriure:
> New question #144696 on Ubuntu Translations:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/144696
>
> Hi, I'm the admin of Friulian translation team; I'd like to know if we can already start translating Natty or we should wait for automatic imports, because now maverick's translations are seen as suggestions so you need to approve them one by one. Sorry if the question is silly, but I've been inactive for a while and I forgot how it works ;-)
>

Hi,

That's not a silly but a very good question.

You can translate Natty normally through the web UI. However, what you
are mentioning about Maverick translations appearing as suggestions
instead of normal translations might be pointing out to an issue, which
we should investigate.

Could you give us some examples where you see Maverick translations
appearing as suggestions in Natty?

This would help us figure out if there is a problem.

Thanks.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Matteo Cossar (matmc2) said : #2

Hi David,
thanks for your answer.
So, let's have an example:
you go to https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+lang/fur and you can see that "indicator-me" has been completely translated on 2011-02-08.
Let's switch to https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+lang/fur : "indicator-me" has 12 out of 12 items still to translate, last edited 2011-02-08.
Let's click on "indicator-me" and all items are like this:

Current Friulian: Ator
Translated and reviewed by matmc2 on 2011-02-08

If any other translations are used elsewhere in NATTY (not mavierck), they are quoted as suggestions, but the item appears untranslated in the main page.
I mean, I'm a newbie, but that's a bit weird to me...
Cheers,
Matt

Milo Casagrande (milo) said : #3

@David: with the Italian team we have experienced a similar problem:
translations done in maverick, showing up only as suggestions or not
showing up at all in natty.
Take a look at this string:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ddtp-ubuntu/maverick/+pots/ddtp-ubuntu-main/it/5/+translate

It was translated for maverick, but we had to copy and paste it in
natty. After that, it showed up as Shared in maverick. Don't know if
the ddtp set of strings is different... but due to the huge amount of
strings there, this is a little odd behavior. We ere looking better at
this problem and try to collect as many strings as possible to show in
a bug report or in the mailing list, but since somebody else is
bringing up this topic, I wanted to add it to the discussion.

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <email address hidden>

David Planella (dpm) said : #4

El dj 10 de 02 de 2011 a les 14:51 +0000, en/na matmc2 va escriure:
> Question #144696 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/144696
>
> matmc2 posted a new comment:
> Hi David,
> thanks for your answer.
> So, let's have an example:

Thanks for the feedback, let me try to address some of the questions:

> you go to https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+lang/fur and you can see that "indicator-me" has been completely translated on 2011-02-08.
> Let's switch to https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+lang/fur : "indicator-me" has 12 out of 12 items still to translate, last edited 2011-02-08.

indicator-me is in fact translated both in Maverick and Natty. You'll
see this if you click on the apparently untranslated Natty package.

The problem here is that the statistics on the main page are not being
updated, so it tells you that the indicator-me package in Natty is not
translated.

If I'm not mistaken, statistics are updated weekly, so I'd recommend
watching this until the beginning of next week and report back if it
hasn't changed.

Now for the other issue:

> Let's click on "indicator-me" and all items are like this:
>
> Current Friulian: Ator
> Translated and reviewed by matmc2 on 2011-02-08
>
> If any other translations are used elsewhere in NATTY (not mavierck), they are quoted as suggestions, but the item appears untranslated in the main page.

Right, so if I understand it correctly, that is the same issue we were
discussing before (statistics not being updated). But you were
mentioning that you had to click on suggestions that had not been used
as current translations. Do you have any example of that? I.e.
translations in Maverick that have propagated as suggestions instead of
translations into Natty?

Thanks.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Matteo Cossar (matmc2) said : #5

@David

by now, I haven't seen any translations in Maverick that have propagated as suggestions instead of
translations into Natty (unless they are from different packages: e.g. "Cancel" in Firefox vs. "Cancel" in Unity). Yet, the translations act just like they were mere suggestions... so they've to be confirmed.
Maybe it's just because of the weekly update of the db you mentioned.

So, I've run a little test on Natty's version of indicator-messages (I've translated maverick's version last week).
Before: Natty's main page says it's fully UNtranslated, yet entering the UI I can see that each and every item is marked as "translated and reviewed". So I go "Save & Continue" without touching anything, go back to the main page and the packet is shown as fully translated.

Thanks a lot,
Matt

David Planella (dpm) said : #6

El dj 10 de 02 de 2011 a les 15:44 +0000, en/na matmc2 va escriure:
> Question #144696 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/144696
>
> matmc2 posted a new comment:
> @David
>
> by now, I haven't seen any translations in Maverick that have propagated as suggestions instead of
> translations into Natty (unless they are from different packages: e.g. "Cancel" in Firefox vs. "Cancel" in Unity).

Ok, I get you until here.

> Yet, the translations act just like they were mere suggestions... so they've to be confirmed.

I'm a bit confused here, could you please elaborate?

You are saying that you haven't seen translated messages in Maverick
that have propagated to Natty as suggestions. But then you say you have
seen messages acting as suggestions. I don't quite understand that: if
they act like suggestions, then they have propagated as suggestions and
we've got an issue. If you mean that they are acting as suggestions just
because the stats are not updated, then I believe we don't have an issue
(apart from the fact that stats should really update more often).

Which one of the two do you mean?

I'm not trying to be picky here, I'm just trying to work out the issue
and to see how we can best report a bug if necessary.

> Maybe it's just because of the weekly update of the db you mentioned.
>

The weekly update concerns only statistics, as far as I know, and it
shouldn't have any effect on the actual translations.

> So, I've run a little test on Natty's version of indicator-messages (I've translated maverick's version last week).
> Before: Natty's main page says it's fully UNtranslated, yet entering the UI I can see that each and every item is marked as "translated and reviewed". So I go "Save & Continue" without touching anything, go back to the main page and the packet is shown as fully translated.
>

Ah, so here's what I think happened:

1. You first translated in undicator-me in Maverick
2. The translations propagated immediately to Natty thanks to message
sharing
3. However, the statistics were not updated, as this happens weekly
4. You made use of a nice trick: when you do direct translations in a
template (as opposed to translations being shared by translating another
release of the same template) translations are updated straight away.
That's the expected behaviour, which you used nicely as a workaround :-)

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

David Planella (dpm) said : #7

El dj 10 de 02 de 2011 a les 15:21 +0000, en/na Milo Casagrande va
escriure:
> Question #144696 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/144696
>
> Milo Casagrande proposed the following answer:
> @David: with the Italian team we have experienced a similar problem:
> translations done in maverick, showing up only as suggestions or not
> showing up at all in natty.
> Take a look at this string:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ddtp-ubuntu/maverick/+pots/ddtp-ubuntu-main/it/5/+translate
>
> It was translated for maverick, but we had to copy and paste it in
> natty. After that, it showed up as Shared in maverick. Don't know if
> the ddtp set of strings is different... but due to the huge amount of
> strings there, this is a little odd behavior. We ere looking better at
> this problem and try to collect as many strings as possible to show in
> a bug report or in the mailing list, but since somebody else is
> bringing up this topic, I wanted to add it to the discussion.
>
> Ciao.
>

Hi Milo,

DDTP works differently because we don't have a corresponding package in
Ubuntu, so this might point to an issue with message sharing or a
problem importing translations from the bzr branch. We should
investigate this.

Would you mind filing a bug in the 'launchpad' project in LP and letting
me know the bug number? We'll try then to work out who can have a look
at it.

Thanks.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Matteo Cossar (matmc2) said : #8

Right David,
it must be as you said.
So let's wait for one week for the stats and everything should be ok.
At this point, I think this question is happily answered :)
Cheers,
M

Matteo Cossar (matmc2) said : #9

Mmm, more than a week has passed from 2011-02-07, but still no changes. There must be something wrong: maybe the update is not weekly, or it is weekly just for stable releases. Or should we file a bug?
Have a great day,
M

David Planella (dpm) said : #10

El dc 16 de 02 de 2011 a les 13:30 +0000, en/na matmc2 va escriure:
> Question #144696 on Ubuntu Translations changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/144696
>
> matmc2 posted a new comment:
> Mmm, more than a week has passed from 2011-02-07, but still no changes. There must be something wrong: maybe the update is not weekly, or it is weekly just for stable releases. Or should we file a bug?
> Have a great day,
> M
>

Yes please, if you could file a bug at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+filebug

mentioning this question, this will help us tracking down what's
happening.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella

Milo Casagrande (milo) said : #11

@David, just an update on this issue.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 17:01, David Planella
<email address hidden> wrote:
>
> DDTP works differently because we don't have a corresponding package in
> Ubuntu, so this might point to an issue with message sharing or a
> problem importing translations from the bzr branch. We should
> investigate this.
>
> Would you mind filing a bug in the 'launchpad' project in LP and letting
> me know the bug number? We'll try then to work out who can have a look
> at it.

I didn't file the bug. I was looking into it, I personally didn't
experience the problem, but one user complained about this. In the end
looks like everything is OK.

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <email address hidden>

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask A. Decorte for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.