Suspend mode does not work

Asked by Brendan Shean on 2008-08-18

When I choose suspend mode, my monitor goes blank, as expected. However, when I try to awake the system through keyboard and mouse input, nothing happens. Is there something I need to setup for suspend to work properly?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
System76 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2008-09-03
Last reply:
2009-01-23
Thomas Aaron (tom-system76) said : #1

Hi, Brendan.

Your configuration is as follows:

Wild Dog Performance
  - Graphics : 256 MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS P
  - Hard Drive : 500 GB SATA II 300 Mbps
  - Memory : 8 GB - 4 x 2 GB - DDR 2 - 800 MH
  - Operating System : Ubuntu 64 Bit 8.04
  - Optical Drive : CD-RW / DVD-RW
  - Processor : Quad Core Q9450
  - Wireless : 802.11 bg

Just tested suspend/resume on our shop Wild Dog, and it worked perfectly. You have to press the power button once to awaken it.

Please confirm whether or not this works for you.

Brendan Shean (brendanshean) said : #2

This did not work. The only thing I can think that might be causing this is that I am using restricted nvidia drivers for my dual view monitor setup.

Thomas Aaron (tom-system76) said : #3

Hi, Brendan.

Please use as much detail as possible to describe what you are seeing. What happened when you pressed your power button? Did you get any error messages, etc?

I'm using the nVidia drivers too. Disconnect one of your monitors. If it still doesn't resume from suspend, that will rule out dual monitors causing the problem.

We may need to close this question out and move it to our official support email, as this venue doesn't provide for the posting of log attachments, etc...

Brendan Shean (brendanshean) said : #4

After I push the power button, the system sounds like it's booting back up. The DVD drive green light comes on for a few seconds.
The hard drive begins cycling. However, there is no response from the monitor. It continues to remain blank.

I also unplugged one of the monitors and tried it again, but I got the same results.

Thomas Aaron (tom-system76) said : #5

Try pressing Alt-S once the resume activity stops. Does this create a log-in screen to appear?

What programs are running when you suspend? Do you get the same results if you try to suspend with applications running?

After running the above tests, please paste in the output of this command:
cat /etc/default/acpi-support

Brendan Shean (brendanshean) said : #6

Alt-S did not work. Nothing happened when I pressed this.

When I try to use suspend, I usually have emacs, evince, and firefox running. I also tried to suspend the computer immediately following a reboot, and nothing happened.

Here is the output of cat /etc/default/acpi-support

# Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
ACPI_SLEEP=true

# Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
ACPI_HIBERNATE=true

# Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
# This will save less power, but may work on more machines
ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem

# Add modules to this list to have them removed before suspend and reloaded
# on resume. An example would be MODULES="em8300 yenta_socket"
#
# Note that network cards and USB controllers will automatically be unloaded
# unless they're listed in MODULES_WHITELIST
MODULES=""

# Add modules to this list to leave them in the kernel over suspend/resume
MODULES_WHITELIST=""

# Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
SAVE_VBE_STATE=true

# The file that we use to save the vbestate
VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate

# Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
POST_VIDEO=true

# Save and restore video state?
# SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true

# Should we switch the screen off with DPMS on suspend?
USE_DPMS=true

# Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some machines
# RADEON_LIGHT=true

# Uncomment the next line to switch away from X and back again after resume.
# This is needed for some hardware, but should be unnecessary on most.
# DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true

# Set the following to "platform" if you want to use ACPI to shut down
# your machine on hibernation
HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown

# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
LOCK_SCREEN=true

# Uncomment this line to have DMA disabled before suspend and reenabled
# afterwards
# DISABLE_DMA=true

# Uncomment this line to attempt to reset the drive on resume. This seems
# to be needed for some Sonys
# RESET_DRIVE=true

# Add services to this list to stop them before suspend and restart them in
# the resume process.
STOP_SERVICES=""

# Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
# machines
RESTART_IRDA=false

# Switch to laptop-mode on battery power - off by default as it causes odd
# hangs on some machines
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false

# Spindown time on battery
SPINDOWN_TIME=12

Brendan Shean (brendanshean) said : #7

Hi Thomas,

I haven't heard anything recently about the suspend mode on Kubuntu. Do you
have any suggestions. Thanks.

-Brendan

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Brendan Shean <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #42472 on System76 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/42472
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> Alt-S did not work. Nothing happened when I pressed this.
>
> When I try to use suspend, I usually have emacs, evince, and firefox
> running. I also tried to suspend the computer immediately following a
> reboot, and nothing happened.
>
> Here is the output of cat /etc/default/acpi-support
>
> # Comment the next line to disable ACPI suspend to RAM
> ACPI_SLEEP=true
>
> # Comment the next line to disable suspend to disk
> ACPI_HIBERNATE=true
>
> # Change the following to "standby" to use ACPI S1 sleep, rather than S3.
> # This will save less power, but may work on more machines
> ACPI_SLEEP_MODE=mem
>
> # Add modules to this list to have them removed before suspend and reloaded
> # on resume. An example would be MODULES="em8300 yenta_socket"
> #
> # Note that network cards and USB controllers will automatically be
> unloaded
> # unless they're listed in MODULES_WHITELIST
> MODULES=""
>
> # Add modules to this list to leave them in the kernel over suspend/resume
> MODULES_WHITELIST=""
>
> # Should we save and restore state using the VESA BIOS Extensions?
> SAVE_VBE_STATE=true
>
> # The file that we use to save the vbestate
> VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate
>
> # Should we attempt to warm-boot the video hardware on resume?
> POST_VIDEO=true
>
> # Save and restore video state?
> # SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true
>
> # Should we switch the screen off with DPMS on suspend?
> USE_DPMS=true
>
> # Use Radeontool to switch the screen off? Seems to be needed on some
> machines
> # RADEON_LIGHT=true
>
> # Uncomment the next line to switch away from X and back again after
> resume.
> # This is needed for some hardware, but should be unnecessary on most.
> # DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true
>
> # Set the following to "platform" if you want to use ACPI to shut down
> # your machine on hibernation
> HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown
>
> # Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
> LOCK_SCREEN=true
>
> # Uncomment this line to have DMA disabled before suspend and reenabled
> # afterwards
> # DISABLE_DMA=true
>
> # Uncomment this line to attempt to reset the drive on resume. This seems
> # to be needed for some Sonys
> # RESET_DRIVE=true
>
> # Add services to this list to stop them before suspend and restart them in
> # the resume process.
> STOP_SERVICES=""
>
> # Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
> # machines
> RESTART_IRDA=false
>
> # Switch to laptop-mode on battery power - off by default as it causes odd
> # hangs on some machines
> ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false
>
> # Spindown time on battery
> SPINDOWN_TIME=12
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Thomas Aaron (tom-system76) said : #8

 Hi, Brendan.

I tested Ubuntu on our Wild Dog running Ubuntu 8.04, and it works like a charm.

You did not mention you were using Kubuntu, which we do not support. While we try to help out where we can, we are not really set up for digging into Kubuntu to solve this type of issue. You may want to post something on the forums, where there are other Kubuntu users who may be able to offer suggestions.

Brendan Shean (brendanshean) said : #9

I have tried the same steps using Ubuntu and suspend still does not work.
Any suggestions?

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Thomas Aaron <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #42472 on System76 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/42472
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Thomas Aaron proposed the following answer:
> Hi, Brendan.
>
> I tested Ubuntu on our Wild Dog running Ubuntu 8.04, and it works like a
> charm.
>
> You did not mention you were using Kubuntu, which we do not support.
> While we try to help out where we can, we are not really set up for
> digging into Kubuntu to solve this type of issue. You may want to post
> something on the forums, where there are other Kubuntu users who may be
> able to offer suggestions.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/42472/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/system76/+question/42472
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Thomas Aaron (tom-system76) said : #10

Please contact me at support(at)system76(dot)com for continued support on this issue.

sam88824 (sam88824) said : #11

 have used ubuntu since dapper 6.06 and standby and hibernate never worked. I am now using ubuntu 8.04 on three different compaq presario none will wake after going to standby i have to unplug the machine and plug it back in because power button will do nothing. Moving the mouse should wake from standby but does not.

Thomas Aaron (tom-system76) said : #12

sam88824,

We only support System76 computers, and have no Compq computers available for testing. Sorry we can't be of more help. You might try installing 64-bit Ubuntu. We have found it to have better suspend/hibernate support that 32-bit on some of our machines. Good luck.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Brendan Shean for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.