Cuts

Asked by Prudhvi Nikhil Bhattiprolu on 2018-04-27

Hello,
I recently started using MA5 to do cuts on .lhco files. for that, I am doing "./bin/ma5 -R ". I am having few trouble with implementing some cuts. Please let me know if the below are correct?
I want to implement the following cuts:
1) pt for all leptons > 15 GeV , for which I am doing "reject PT(l) <= 15"
2)ETA for all leptons < 2.4 , for which I am doing "reject ETA(l) >= 2.4"
3) delta R for any two leptons > 0.1, for which I am doing "reject DELTAR(l,l) <=0.1"
4) delta R for any lepton and any jet > 0.3, for which I am doing "reject DELTAR(l,l) <=0.3"
5)number of leptons in an event > 3 for which I did "N(l) >=3" (I'm pretty sure this is wrong!)
6)at least one electron or muon with PT > 26 GeV for which I am doing "select PT (lep[1]) > 26" where I defined "lep" as "define lep = 11 13 -11 -13)"
7) How do I reject events with at least one pair of leptons satisfying "Opposite sign same flavor" ?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sincerely,
Prudhvi

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
MadAnalysis 5 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Benjamin Fuks
Solved:
2018-05-10
Last query:
2018-05-10
Last reply:
2018-05-09
Best Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #1

Hi Prudhvi,

You must be careful with cuts on objects and cuts on events. For instance,
  reject (l) PT < 15
will reject all leptons from the events whose PT is smaller than 15 GeV. This is indeed what you want to do, and not to reject events. This should answer questions (1) to (6), somehow. Otherwise, pelase come back to me.

For question (7), you can test the number of electrons/positrons/muons/antimuons and use the 'and' and 'or' operators. Don't hesitate to have a look in the manual for further pieces of information.

Regards,

Benjamin

>
>
> 1) pt for all leptons > 15 GeV , for which I am doing "reject PT(l) <= 15"
> 2)ETA for all leptons < 2.4 , for which I am doing "reject ETA(l) >= 2.4"
> 3) delta R for any two leptons > 0.1, for which I am doing "reject DELTAR(l,l) <=0.1"
> 4) delta R for any lepton and any jet > 0.3, for which I am doing "reject DELTAR(l,l) <=0.3"
> 5)number of leptons in an event > 3 for which I did "N(l) >=3" (I'm pretty sure this is wrong!)
> 6)at least one electron or muon with PT > 26 GeV for which I am doing "select PT (lep[1]) > 26" where I defined "lep" as "define lep = 11 13 -11 -13)"
> 7) How do I reject events with at least one pair of leptons satisfying "Opposite sign same flavor" ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!
>
> Sincerely,
> Prudhvi
>
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.
>

Hello,

Thank you for answering. i have one more question, as soon as I do "select N (l) > = 3" (as I want to select events with 3 or more leptons), All the events are getting rejected, that is events kept (K) is going to zero. Im sure I am doing something wrong here.

Thank you for your patience!

Best,
Prudhvi

Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #3

Hi Prudvhi,

The cut in fact does what you want. Please double-check the N(l) distribution before the cut to check what it looks like.

Regards,

Benjamin

> On 10 May 2018, at 01:42 , Prudhvi Nikhil Bhattiprolu <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #668299 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/668299
>
> Prudhvi Nikhil Bhattiprolu posted a new comment:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for answering. i have one more question, as soon as I do
> "select N (l) > = 3" (as I want to select events with 3 or more
> leptons), All the events are getting rejected, that is events kept (K)
> is going to zero. Im sure I am doing something wrong here.
>
> Thank you for your patience!
>
> Best,
> Prudhvi
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.
>

Hello Benjamin,

Thank you! I might have made some mistake somewhere before, but now when I redid everything, it is all working fine.

Thank you very very much!

Best,
Prudhvi Bhattiprolu

Thanks Benjamin Fuks, that solved my question.