Zero events at hadron level MadAnalysis

Asked by Seyda Ipek on 2017-04-24

Hi,
I am using MadGraph v2_5_4 with MadAnalysis 5. I generate a simple SM p p > t t~ process and run Pythia, Delphes and MadAnalysis. I get the cross section: 505 pb. However, when I open the hadron level Madanalysis report, it shows zero signal events, before and after any cuts. (I use the default cuts.) The problem I think is with the basicreco.lhe file, but I am not quite sure since I don't know what basicreco does exactly. I know other people have the same problem too. Help would be great!

cheers,
seyda

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
MadAnalysis 5 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2017-04-25
Last reply:
2017-04-25
Whiteboard:
Redirecting this question to MA5 author.
Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #1

Hi,

Can you please share a small hadron-level event file and copy the ma5 script you have used?

Regards,

Benjamin

Seyda Ipek (ipekseyda) said : #2

Hi Benjamin,
I am using MadAnalysis inside MadGraph, so I didn't really write any ma5
script. Just turned on Madanalysis when generating MadGraph events. I am
attaching the pythia lhe file. I think the following is what ma5 runs as it
shows up as "command history" when I look at the index.html from madgraph.

-------------
ma5>set main.mode = parton
ma5>import
/Users/sipek/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_5_4/test06/Events/run_01/tag_1_pythia_BasicReco.lhe.gz
as tag_1_pythia_BasicReco
ma5>set main.stacking_method = normalize2one
ma5>define e = e+ e-
ma5>define mu = mu+ mu-
ma5>select (j) PT > 20
ma5>select (b) PT > 20
ma5>select (e) PT > 10
ma5>select (mu) PT > 10
ma5>select (j) ABSETA < 2.5
ma5>select (b) ABSETA < 2.5
ma5>select (e) ABSETA < 2.5
ma5>select (mu) ABSETA < 2.5
ma5>plot MET 40 0 500
ma5>plot THT 40 0 500
ma5>plot PT(j[1]) 40 0 500 [logY]
ma5>plot ETA(j[1]) 40 -10 10 [logY]
ma5>plot MT_MET(j[1]) 40 0 500 [logY]
ma5>plot PT(j[2]) 40 0 500 [logY]
ma5>plot ETA(j[2]) 40 -10 10 [logY]
ma5>plot MT_MET(j[2]) 40 0 500 [logY]
ma5>plot M(j[1] j[2]) 40 0 500 [logY]
ma5>plot DELTAR(j[1],j[2]) 40 0 10 [logY]
ma5>submit
/Users/sipek/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_5_4/test06/MA5_HADRON_ANALYSIS_analysis2_BasicReco
----------
Is this enough?
cheers,
seyda

PS: My original file too large, so I generated an event file for g g > t t~
with less events. It has the exact same problem.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:49 AM Benjamin Fuks <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #627403 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/627403
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Benjamin Fuks requested more information:
> Hi,
>
> Can you please share a small hadron-level event file and copy the ma5
> script you have used?
>
> Regards,
>
> Benjamin
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/627403
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Benjamin Fuks (fuks) said : #3

Hi Seyda,

The cross section information is lost when reconstructing a pythia file within ma5. This is a well known issue that we haven't fixed yet for various reasons.

@Valentin: do you think that, in the meantime, madgraph could pass this information to MA5 as:
   set tag_1_pythia_BasicReco.xsection = …
where the dots are replaced with the actual cross section?

Cheers,

Benjamin

> On 25 Apr 2017, at 19:53 , Seyda Ipek <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Question #627403 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/627403
>
> Status: Needs information => Open
>
> Seyda Ipek gave more information on the question:
> Hi Benjamin,
> I am using MadAnalysis inside MadGraph, so I didn't really write any ma5
> script. Just turned on Madanalysis when generating MadGraph events. I am
> attaching the pythia lhe file. I think the following is what ma5 runs as it
> shows up as "command history" when I look at the index.html from madgraph.
>
> -------------
> ma5>set main.mode = parton
> ma5>import
> /Users/sipek/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_5_4/test06/Events/run_01/tag_1_pythia_BasicReco.lhe.gz
> as tag_1_pythia_BasicReco
> ma5>set main.stacking_method = normalize2one
> ma5>define e = e+ e-
> ma5>define mu = mu+ mu-
> ma5>select (j) PT > 20
> ma5>select (b) PT > 20
> ma5>select (e) PT > 10
> ma5>select (mu) PT > 10
> ma5>select (j) ABSETA < 2.5
> ma5>select (b) ABSETA < 2.5
> ma5>select (e) ABSETA < 2.5
> ma5>select (mu) ABSETA < 2.5
> ma5>plot MET 40 0 500
> ma5>plot THT 40 0 500
> ma5>plot PT(j[1]) 40 0 500 [logY]
> ma5>plot ETA(j[1]) 40 -10 10 [logY]
> ma5>plot MT_MET(j[1]) 40 0 500 [logY]
> ma5>plot PT(j[2]) 40 0 500 [logY]
> ma5>plot ETA(j[2]) 40 -10 10 [logY]
> ma5>plot MT_MET(j[2]) 40 0 500 [logY]
> ma5>plot M(j[1] j[2]) 40 0 500 [logY]
> ma5>plot DELTAR(j[1],j[2]) 40 0 10 [logY]
> ma5>submit
> /Users/sipek/Desktop/MG5_aMC_v2_5_4/test06/MA5_HADRON_ANALYSIS_analysis2_BasicReco
> ----------
> Is this enough?
> cheers,
> seyda
>
> PS: My original file too large, so I generated an event file for g g > t t~
> with less events. It has the exact same problem.
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:49 AM Benjamin Fuks <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
>> Your question #627403 on MadAnalysis 5 changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/627403
>>
>> Status: Open => Needs information
>>
>> Benjamin Fuks requested more information:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you please share a small hadron-level event file and copy the ma5
>> script you have used?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Benjamin
>>
>> --
>> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
>> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/madanalysis5/+question/627403
>>
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>>
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are an answer
> contact for MadAnalysis 5.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Seyda Ipek for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.