bad install of bisigi ppa

Asked by Thomas Farber on 2011-08-11

E: Type' ://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu' is not known on line 2 in source list/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bisigi-ppa-maverick.list.E:Unable to lock the list directory

This is blocking me from entering the Synaptic Package Manager! What is going on?
Help!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Launchpad itself Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2011-08-11
Last reply:
2011-08-11
Gary Poster (gary) said : #1

Hello. It looks like /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bisigi-ppa-maverick.list has been broken somehow. The easiest thing to do might be to remove it and then try putting that file in again, from scratch. Alternatively, you could look at the file itself and try to edit it. It should probably look something like this:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu maverick main

Thomas Farber (thomasfarber) said : #2

Gary,Greetings. Thank you for your response to my question. However, I need to know how to remove this and fix this in the terminal since I cannot get into the Package Manager, or the update manager, or even the Ubuntu Software Center...gee wiz! Yes, I completely agree "something" is broken. But, I do not know how to remove and fix this in the terminal, which at this point is the only means I see that I can repair this mess. How do I do this in the terminal? How do I repair what is broken? Please help if you can; I await your reply.
Most Sincerely,
Thom

>________________________________
>From: Gary Poster <email address hidden>
>To: <email address hidden>
>Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:41 AM
>Subject: Re: [Question #167609]: bad install of bisigi ppa
>
>Your question #167609 on Launchpad itself changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/167609
>
>    Status: Open => Answered
>
>Gary Poster proposed the following answer:
>Hello.  It looks like /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bisigi-ppa-maverick.list
>has been broken somehow. The easiest thing to do might be to remove it
>and then try putting that file in again, from scratch.  Alternatively,
>you could look at the file itself and try to edit it.  It should
>probably look something like this:
>
>deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu maverick main
>
>--
>If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>know that it is solved:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/167609/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
>If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>following page to enter your feedback:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/167609
>
>You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
>
>

Benji York (benji) said : #3

To remove the file do this:

    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bisigi-ppa-maverick.list

Thomas Farber (thomasfarber) said : #4

Benji,
Thank you...THANK YOU!

After two days of trying to figure out what to do, to repair this mess...this instruction did the job!
Really appreciate your assistance and tech instructions.
Sincerely,
Thomas

>________________________________
>From: Benji York <email address hidden>
>To: <email address hidden>
>Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:11 PM
>Subject: Re: [Question #167609]: bad install of bisigi ppa
>
>Your question #167609 on Launchpad itself changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/167609
>
>    Status: Open => Answered
>
>Benji York proposed the following answer:
>To remove the file do this:
>
>    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bisigi-ppa-maverick.list
>
>--
>If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>know that it is solved:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/167609/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
>If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>following page to enter your feedback:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/167609
>
>You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
>
>

Brad Crittenden (bac) said : #5

Thanks Benji