Path and object Functions are frozen

Asked by Leah on 2019-01-09

Hello- extreme beginner here and I am following along on a tutorial. I am trying to use "object put on path" for some text around a circle, then use the "difference' function to create an outline of the text. All of the sudden all my functions are frozen. I am not sure what to do. I did the following: ctr+z, closed and reopened the file.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Inkscape Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2019-01-10
Last reply:
2019-01-10
Hachmann (marenhachmann) said : #1

Hi Leah,

can you share a file where this happens? Please use an online file hoster like dropbox for this.

Please describe exactly what I need to do to provoke the same result that you get when I have the file opened.

A short screen recording would be helpful, too.

Additionally, we need:

- your Inkscape version (see Help > About)
- your operating system and version
- how you installed Inkscape

Leah (ljmboucher) said : #2

Hi,
So I have been trying to load screencast-omatic and I think I finally got it to show what I am doing, but I am not sure how to attach it.
I have a Macbook v 10.12.7
Inkscape 0.91
I installed QX11 the installed Inkscape from their website.

this is the process I have been using.
add circle-select circle -path to object
add text- select text- Path to object
select text- size text -object- ungrpoup text
select Text - path - union,
select text and circle at the same time-- click path-difference
noting happens.

I am guessing I am missing a step somewhere but I am unable to figure it out. I have been watching TroyTube tutorials
Thank you.

Hachmann (marenhachmann) said : #3

Hi Leah,

first of all, you can use Inkscape 0.92.2 for your work on a Mac. It's available from https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-0.92.2/mac-os-x/ .

Be sure to take a look at the release notes at https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-0.92.2 if you care about the differences to your current version (probably not so very important, except for: text tool changes and if you plan to use a plotter/cutter/other real-world-machine to carve out your images).

For sharing the video file (thank you for recording!) you can use https://framadrop.org/ - post the link here after uploading.

The steps you describe work for me on Inkscape 0.92.3 (0.92.3 isn't available for macOS, though).

Can you try if using the newer version fixes the problem for you, too (in addition to linking to the uploaded video file)?

Leah (ljmboucher) said : #4

Hi,
Thank you for all your time!
Here is the link to the video.

https://framadrop.org/r/bd3i9aGPx4#MGzSVcdD9VbgXHi4Q4DnzEfQOu0XFJsUAL7xbMIpWt0=

Sorry, I am not super tech savvy and low patients for self-learning. I do
better in a classroom setting.

I also read that the newer version of Inkscape have lots of bugs that don't
work well with my Mac version. But I am happy to reload the latest v.
I will be cutting my files on a Cricut.

Thank you again,
Leah

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 5:17 PM Hachmann <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #677425 on Inkscape changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/677425
>
> Hachmann posted a new comment:
> Hi Leah,
>
> first of all, you can use Inkscape 0.92.2 for your work on a Mac. It's
> available from https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-0.92.2/mac-os-x/ .
>
> Be sure to take a look at the release notes at
> https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-0.92.2 if you care about the
> differences to your current version (probably not so very important,
> except for: text tool changes and if you plan to use a
> plotter/cutter/other real-world-machine to carve out your images).
>
> For sharing the video file (thank you for recording!) you can use
> https://framadrop.org/ - post the link here after uploading.
>
> The steps you describe work for me on Inkscape 0.92.3 (0.92.3 isn't
> available for macOS, though).
>
> Can you try if using the newer version fixes the problem for you, too
> (in addition to linking to the uploaded video file)?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

--
Leah Moses Boucher

Each person in the United States consumes almost 6 trees worth of paper per
year.
Please think before you print.

Hachmann (marenhachmann) said : #5

Okay, thank you for the video, that was really helpful in finding out what the issue is.

So this is one of my pet tips:
Look into the status line, it tells you so, so much! It's at the bottom of the window.

In second 16, it says 'One of the objects is not a path, can't perform boolean operation'.
And just before, it tells you that you have a group and a path selected.

The text is grouped. Ungroup it, it seems that step somehow didn't work. Then Combine all its parts into one element.

Do:
- select text
- right-click -> ungroup
- don't deselect, just do Path -> Combine, or use the keyboard with Control (command) + K.

Now the text is a path, and you can do the difference.

If something isn't working, remember the status line.

Hachmann (marenhachmann) said : #6

(for the cricut, if the size of what it cuts is wrong, use a different template for your drawing in 0.92.2, if you try that Inkscape version.

Try both the px template (File > New from Template > default px) and the pt template (File > New from template > default pt). I think the pt template is what works, but I don't own such a device, and am not 100% certain.)

Leah (ljmboucher) said : #7

Thank you- What is the difference between Union and Combine?
Also, px vs. pt?

Thank you!

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 6:17 PM Hachmann <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #677425 on Inkscape changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/inkscape/+question/677425
>
> Hachmann posted a new comment:
> (for the cricut, if the size of what it cuts is wrong, use a different
> template for your drawing in 0.92.2, if you try that Inkscape version.
>
> Try both the px template (File > New from Template > default px) and the
> pt template (File > New from template > default pt). I think the pt
> template is what works, but I don't own such a device, and am not 100%
> certain.)
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

--
Leah Moses Boucher

Each person in the United States consumes almost 6 trees worth of paper per
year.
Please think before you print.

Hachmann (marenhachmann) said : #8

Try it out :)
Or look it up here:

https://vektorrascheln.de/posts/2015/Dec/inkscape-fuer-einsteiger-teil-ii-praxis-en.html#boolean-operations

px and pt are both units.

A px (pixel) is a 96th of an inch, while a pt (point) is a 72ndth (?) of an inch.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Leah for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.