getting Hugin Translation errors, program hangs up

Asked by Richard Richmond on 2017-03-14

Started getting the following messages:Selected 1600 points
Photometric Optimization
Iteration: 0, error: 8.813464
Iteration: 1, error: 8.731949
Iteration: 2, error: 8.723417
Iteration: 3, error: 8.721334
.
.
.
.Iteration: 49, error: 5.758651
Iteration: 50, error: 5.758651

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Hugin Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2017-03-24
Last reply:
2017-03-26
tmodes (tmodes) said : #1

First check that you are using the latest version 2016.2. If not please update first.
Then reset the photometric parameters (on panorama editor, images tab, on the images list open context menu and select reset photometric parameters) and try again.
If that does not help provide a small example (e.g. 2-3 images and the pto file) where you can reproduce the issue.

Richard Richmond (richdr) said : #2

Okay, I do have the latest version (2016.2.0) on my Macbook Pro. Running
OS 10.11.3.
I don¹t find a page titled ³Panorama Editor², I do find the list of images
on ³Panorama Stitcher² where left clicking on one of the images will open
up a box where I can chose ŒReset¹, ³reset Photometric parameters². Doing,
the program will finish about 1/2 the time, but the resulting Panos are
very poorly aligned with weird kinks in straight lines, missing elements
in buildings, etc. If it doesn¹t complete, It hangs and the PTO file is
never created.
I¹ve attached the PTO file from the last run that did complete as well as
1of the images used in that run. I¹ll send a second one in a follow up
email to keep the size below 10 MB
Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Richard

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Richard Richmond
Chief Technologist
Ladar Techniques, LLC.
(937) 322-7650
(Cell) (937) 925-0375
<email address hidden>

On 3/15/17, 12:09 PM, "tmodes" <<email address hidden> on behalf of
<email address hidden>> wrote:

>Your question #557789 on Hugin changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
>tmodes requested more information:
>First check that you are using the latest version 2016.2. If not please
>update first.
>Then reset the photometric parameters (on panorama editor, images tab, on
>the images list open context menu and select reset photometric
>parameters) and try again.
>If that does not help provide a small example (e.g. 2-3 images and the
>pto file) where you can reproduce the issue.
>
>--
>To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
>this email or enter your reply at the following page:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
>You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Richard Richmond (richdr) said : #3

My second photo

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Richard Richmond
Chief Technologist
Ladar Techniques, LLC.
(937) 322-7650
(Cell) (937) 925-0375
<email address hidden>

On 3/15/17, 12:09 PM, "tmodes" <<email address hidden> on behalf of
<email address hidden>> wrote:

>Your question #557789 on Hugin changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
>tmodes requested more information:
>First check that you are using the latest version 2016.2. If not please
>update first.
>Then reset the photometric parameters (on panorama editor, images tab, on
>the images list open context menu and select reset photometric
>parameters) and try again.
>If that does not help provide a small example (e.g. 2-3 images and the
>pto file) where you can reproduce the issue.
>
>--
>To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
>this email or enter your reply at the following page:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
>You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

tmodes (tmodes) said : #4

> I don¹t find a page titled "Panorama Editor", ...

I was assuming, you are using the simple interface.
You found the right tab, but I was referring to the context menu on an empty place in the list, not on a single image.

Next point, here is nothing attached. The answer section does probably not allow attachments.
Use a file sharing service /a web space/drop box or similar and provide a link.

And furthermore provide an exact description, what you are doing. I can't follow your steps: e.g. resetting the photometric parameters does not influence the geometric alignment. So this (e.g. kings, steps) should not change during resetting.
(But an incorrect geometric alignment could influence the photometric optimizer, where you describe the program hangs.)

So you mix things up and I can't follow your jumps.

What are you doing now and where hang the program exactly? And what did you before where you could get a successful result? This is not clear for me.

Richard Richmond (richdr) said : #5

First, I have loaded the last PTO file and 2 example pictures to Dropbox
(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/myuiyq5jasgwtgn/AACayOMqUHeTBFM14N-Vx_eaa?dl=0)
.
I did a Photometric Parameters reset because that was what I was told to
try in the previous email - Text attached:
"First check that you are using the latest version 2016.2. If not please
update first.
Then reset the photometric parameters (on panorama editor, images tab, on
the images list open context menu and select reset photometric parameters)
and try again.
If that does not help provide a small example (e.g. 2-3 images and the pro
file) where you can reproduce the issue.”
In the past, I loaded the 8 pictures that would be used to create the
panorama, clicked on the “Align” button and when that was finished, hit
the “Create Panorama” button which completed the process. Everything
worked fine. Now, if I try the same sequence, the program either stops and
hangs after the “Align” process at this point:
Iteration: 67, error: 9.088185
Iteration: 68, error: 9.088185
Iteration: 69, error: 9.088183
Iteration: 70, error: 9.088183
Iteration: 71, error: 9.088183
Iteration: 72, error: 9.088183
Iteration: 73, error: 9.088183
Iteration: 74, error: 9.088183
Iteration: 75, error: 9.088182
Iteration: 76, error: 9.088182
Iteration: 77, error: 9.088182

Calculate optimal size of panorama
Setting canvas size to 12499 x 2050
Searching for best crop rectangle”

or creates a terribly mis-aligned composite.
I am doing this with images that worked perfectly in the past

―――――――――――
Richard Richmond
Chief Technologist
Ladar Techniques, LLC.
(937) 322-7650
(Cell) (937) 925-0375
<email address hidden>

On 3/20/17, 11:57 AM, "tmodes" <<email address hidden> on behalf of
<email address hidden>> wrote:

>Your question #557789 on Hugin changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
>tmodes requested more information:
>> I don¹t find a page titled "Panorama Editor", ...
>
>I was assuming, you are using the simple interface.
>You found the right tab, but I was referring to the context menu on an
>empty place in the list, not on a single image.
>
>Next point, here is nothing attached. The answer section does probably
>not allow attachments.
>Use a file sharing service /a web space/drop box or similar and provide a
>link.
>
>And furthermore provide an exact description, what you are doing. I
>can't follow your steps: e.g. resetting the photometric parameters does
>not influence the geometric alignment. So this (e.g. kings, steps) should
>not change during resetting.
>(But an incorrect geometric alignment could influence the photometric
>optimizer, where you describe the program hangs.)
>
>So you mix things up and I can't follow your jumps.
>
>What are you doing now and where hang the program exactly? And what did
>you before where you could get a successful result? This is not clear
>for me.
>
>--
>To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
>this email or enter your reply at the following page:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
>You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

tmodes (tmodes) said : #6

>Iteration: 77, error: 9.088182
>
>Calculate optimal size of panorama
>Setting canvas size to 12499 x 2050
>Searching for best crop rectangle”

This time you report that it hangs at a different place. So please (for the next time) be more precise from the beginning.

But in this case the cause is simple: you have set a wrong projection - cylindrical - (and a wrong fov) for your images and stitched a project with these settings. Hugin remembers this settings when you load now an image from this camera.

So load the images, change the image projection back to rectilinear (and select reset lens parameters, just in case), align and stitch the project should solve the problem.

Maybe it could also be a solution to delete the camera and lens database to delete all wrong settings - as a brute force method.
(You can find the path and the filename in the about screen. So open the about screen, read the path and filename of the camera and lens database and delete this file after you have closed Hugin.)

Richard Richmond (richdr) said : #7

Okay, Not sure why I got it in my head that I needed to be using
cylindrical. That did help. However, I don¹t find any path to the lens
database file on my MacBook. Reseting the lens parameters in the panorama
stitcher page did help, but there are still some major disconnects in the
finished panoramas that I didn¹t have before.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Richard Richmond
Chief Technologist
Ladar Techniques, LLC.
(937) 322-7650
(Cell) (937) 925-0375
<email address hidden>

On 3/21/17, 12:43 PM, "tmodes" <<email address hidden> on behalf of
<email address hidden>> wrote:

>Your question #557789 on Hugin changed:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
>tmodes proposed the following answer:
>>Iteration: 77, error: 9.088182
>>
>>Calculate optimal size of panorama
>>Setting canvas size to 12499 x 2050
>>Searching for best crop rectangle²
>
>This time you report that it hangs at a different place. So please (for
>the next time) be more precise from the beginning.
>
>But in this case the cause is simple: you have set a wrong projection -
>cylindrical - (and a wrong fov) for your images and stitched a project
>with these settings. Hugin remembers this settings when you load now an
>image from this camera.
>
>So load the images, change the image projection back to rectilinear (and
>select reset lens parameters, just in case), align and stitch the
>project should solve the problem.
>
>Maybe it could also be a solution to delete the camera and lens database
>to delete all wrong settings - as a brute force method.
>(You can find the path and the filename in the about screen. So open the
>about screen, read the path and filename of the camera and lens database
>and delete this file after you have closed Hugin.)
>
>--
>If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>know that it is solved:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789/+confirm?answer_id=5
>
>If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>following page to enter your feedback:
>https://answers.launchpad.net/hugin/+question/557789
>
>You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

tmodes (tmodes) said : #8

>I don¹t find any path to the lens database file on my MacBook

Help>About, on tab System you will find "Hugins camera and lens database: ..." (maybe you need to scroll down)

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Richard Richmond for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.