Deskjet 2752 when I try to print or scan I get a communication error

Asked by John on 2020-08-09

I am running Ubuntu 20 and have installed HPLIP for Ubuntu. When I was running the HPLIP install, at the last, it stated that canberra-gtk-module could not be found.

When I try to scan using document scanner, the program detects to printer but gives an error: failed to scan - unable to connect with scanner. When I use hp-uiscan: I get no device connected. Xsane: failed to open device: hpaio:/usb/Deskjet_2700_Series? Serial=CN0391W0S4 Error during device I/O

When I try to print, it will say the job is printing then indicate is complete but there is no output from the printer.

I have use the printer with a Windows 10 computer and the printer/scanner functions fine. The first time I tried to use it I was getting a comm error but running the print/scan doctor the issue was resolved.

Thanks
john

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2020-08-12
Last reply:
2020-08-16
brian_p (claremont102) said : #1

Some information, please. The outputs from:

systemctl list-units "ippusbxd*" | grep service
avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
driverless
lpstat -l -e
lpstat-a
scanimage -L

Cheers,

Brian.

John (jmill55-cox) said : #2

On 8/9/20 6:50 AM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #692289 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/692289
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> brian_p requested more information:
> Some information, please. The outputs from:
>
> systemctl list-units "ippusbxd*" | grep service
> avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
> avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
> driverless
> lpstat -l -e
> lpstat-a
> scanimage -L
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian.
>

=0x100E" "printer-state=3" "Color=T" "TLS=1.2"
"UUID=faf836c1-13ed-3669-4e0b-7c7207dac50c" "URF=DM3"
"pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png,image/pwg-raster,image/urf"
"product=(HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2700 All-in-one Printer Series)"
"priority=0" "note="
"adminurl=https://red-truck.local.:631/printers/DeskJet_2700" "ty=HP
Deskjet 2700 Series, hpcups 3.20.6" "rp=printers/DeskJet_2700"
"qtotal=1" "txtvers=1"]

=     lo IPv4 DeskJet 2700 series [CN0391W0S4] Internet Printer     local
    hostname = [red-truck.local]
    address = [127.0.0.1]
    port = [60000]
    txt = ["rfo=ipp/faxout" "Fax=T" "Duplex=F" "PaperMax=legal-A4"
"URF=CP1,MT1-2-8-9-10-11,PQ3-4-5,RS300,SRGB24,OB9,OFU0,W8-16,DEVW8-16,DEVRGB24-48,ADOBERGB24-48,FN3,IS1,V1.4"
"pdl=application/vnd.hp-PCL,image/jpeg,application/PCLm,image/urf,image/pwg-raster,application/octet-stream"
"product=(HP DeskJet 2700 series)" "ty=HP DeskJet 2700 series" "note="
"Color=T" "kind=document,envelope,photo,postcard" "mopria-certified=2.0"
"UUID=868ea17b-9c4c-ddc0-d94b-6d064b4f7944"
"adminurl=http://127.0.0.1:60000/#hId-pgAirPrint" "qtotal=1" "txtvers=1"
"priority=60" "usb_MDL=DeskJet 2700 series" "usb_MFG=HP" "rp=ipp/print"]
=     lo IPv4 DeskJet_2700 @ red-truck Internet Printer     local
    hostname = [red-truck.local]
    address = [127.0.0.1]
    port = [631]
    txt = ["printer-type=0x100E" "printer-state=3" "Color=T" "TLS=1.2"
"UUID=faf836c1-13ed-3669-4e0b-7c7207dac50c" "URF=DM3"
"pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png,image/pwg-raster,image/urf"
"product=(HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2700 All-in-one Printer Series)"
"priority=0" "note="
"adminurl=https://red-truck.local.:631/printers/DeskJet_2700" "ty=HP
Deskjet 2700 Series, hpcups 3.20.6" "rp=printers/DeskJet_2700"
"qtotal=1" "txtvers=1"]
= enp2s0 IPv6 DeskJet_2700 @ red-truck Internet Printer     local
    hostname = [red-truck.local]
    address = [fe80::771d:64d9:1e5c:d708]
    port = [631]
    txt = ["printer-type=0x100E" "printer-state=3" "Color=T" "TLS=1.2"
"UUID=faf836c1-13ed-3669-4e0b-7c7207dac50c" "URF=DM3"
"pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png,image/pwg-raster,image/urf"
"product=(HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 2700 All-in-one Printer Series)"
"priority=0" "note="
"adminurl=https://red-truck.local.:631/printers/DeskJet_2700" "ty=HP
Deskjet 2700 Series, hpcups 3.20.6" "rp=printers/DeskJet_2700"
"qtotal=1" "txtvers=1"]

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp --- No output

driverless
ipp://DeskJet%202700%20series%20%5BCN0391W0S4%5D._ipp._tcp.local/

lpstat -l -e
DeskJet_2700 permanent ipp://localhost/printers/DeskJet_2700
hp:/usb/DeskJet_2700_series?serial=CN0391W0S4
DeskJet_2700_red_truck network none
ipps://DeskJet_2700%20%40%20red-truck._ipps._tcp.local/cups
DeskJet_2700_series_CN0391W0S4_ network none
ipp://DeskJet%202700%20series%20%5BCN0391W0S4%5D._ipp._tcp.local/

lpstat -a
DeskJet_2700 accepting requests since Sat 08 Aug 2020 10:19:27 PM CDT

scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/DeskJet_2700_series?serial=CN0391W0S4' is a
Hewlett-Packard DeskJet_2700_series all-in-one

brian_p (claremont102) said : #3

> = lo IPv4 DeskJet 2700 series [CN0391W0S4] Internet Printer local
> hostname = [red-truck.local]
> address = [127.0.0.1]
> port = [60000]

Ubuntu 20.04 installs and runs ippusbxd when the device is plugged in. This
is why port 60000 on red-truck.local is being used. In this situation the HPLIP
printing and scanning software will not work. See the IPP-over-USB sections
at

  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

> DeskJet_2700_series_CN0391W0S4_ network none ...

You should be able to print with this print queue. Does this command work?

  lp -d DeskJet_2700_series_CN0391W0S4_ /etc/nsswitch.conf

> avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp --- No output

Having no output is completely unexpected. Please would you execute

  avahi-browse -art >log.txt

and search for any sign of uscan in log.txt?

John (jmill55-cox) said : #4

I read the info on the url you suggested and know little more than I did.

I checked my printers and I now have three printers on my printer list:

Deskjet_2700

Deskjet_2700_red_truck

Deskjet_2700_series_CN0391W0S4

What is the solution?

There was no mention of uscan that I found in the log file.  I'm
attaching the log file

The command worked, it printed out the nsswitch.conf file.

passwd: files systemd

group: files systemd

shadow: files

gshadow: files

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

networks: files

protocols: db files

services: db files

ethers: db files

rpc: db files

netgroup: nis

On 8/10/20 7:05 AM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #692289 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/692289
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> brian_p requested more information:
>> = lo IPv4 DeskJet 2700 series [CN0391W0S4] Internet Printer local
>> hostname = [red-truck.local]
>> address = [127.0.0.1]
>> port = [60000]
> Ubuntu 20.04 installs and runs ippusbxd when the device is plugged in. This
> is why port 60000 on red-truck.local is being used. In this situation the HPLIP
> printing and scanning software will not work. See the IPP-over-USB sections
> at
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
>
>> DeskJet_2700_series_CN0391W0S4_ network none ...
> You should be able to print with this print queue. Does this command
> work?
>
> lp -d DeskJet_2700_series_CN0391W0S4_ /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
>> avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp --- No output
> Having no output is completely unexpected. Please would you execute
>
> avahi-browse -art >log.txt
>
> and search for any sign of uscan in log.txt?
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #5

> The command worked, it printed out the nsswitch.conf file.

Good. From the output of the driverless command you have

  ipp://DeskJet%202700%20series%20%5BCN0391W0S4%5D._ipp._tcp.local

This a URI. *Substitute* for it in

  lpadmin -p 2752 -v URI -E -m everywhere

A print queue 2752 should show in all applications and you should be
able to print with it.

John (jmill55-cox) said : #6

When I tried to use the command I got the following:

lpadmin: Bad printer URI "URI".

On 8/11/20 4:55 AM, brian_p wrote:
> Your question #692289 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/692289
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> brian_p proposed the following answer:
>> The command worked, it printed out the nsswitch.conf file.
> Good. From the output of the driverless command you have
>
> ipp://DeskJet%202700%20series%20%5BCN0391W0S4%5D._ipp._tcp.local
>
> This a URI. *Substitute* for it in
>
> lpadmin -p 2752 -v URI -E -m everywhere
>
> A print queue 2752 should show in all applications and you should be
> able to print with it.
>

brian_p (claremont102) said : #7

> lpadmin -p 2752 -v URI -E -m everywhere

It is to be hoped that you did not type this command as given. "URI" is a
placeholder. Substitute

 ipp://DeskJet%202700%20series%20%5BCN0391W0S4%5D._ipp._tcp.local/

for it.

shivani mandora (shivani1708) said : #8

Hi ,

Ubuntu 20.04 is supported with few limitations in HPLIP. Hence you are seeing device busy error.

Could you please refer below link for your bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/1879206

You can print via network instead of USB.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask John for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.