hplip install issue

Asked by Cypie on 2020-03-19

I am running Ubuntu 16.10 and need to connect an hp laserjet 1018. When I run hplip-3.20.3, I cannot get past the dependency loading. The command 'sudo apt-get install --assume-yes python-dev' produces the message 'error: Command failed.' If I run this command in a separate terminal window, I get 'Package 'python-dev' has no installation candidate.' Above that it states that the package 'python' replaces it. I don't know how to get past this. Any help would be appreciated.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
HPLIP Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
shivani mandora
Solved:
2020-03-23
Last query:
2020-03-23
Last reply:
2020-03-23
Cypie (cyrilharn) said : #1

I used hp-setup and was somehow able to get it to work. Thanks

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:37 PM Cypie <email address hidden>
wrote:

> New question #689377 on HPLIP:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377
>
> I am running Ubuntu 16.10 and need to connect an hp laserjet 1018. When I
> run hplip-3.20.3, I cannot get past the dependency loading. The command
> 'sudo apt-get install --assume-yes python-dev' produces the message 'error:
> Command failed.' If I run this command in a separate terminal window, I get
> 'Package 'python-dev' has no installation candidate.' Above that it states
> that the package 'python' replaces it. I don't know how to get past this.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #2

The support for Ubuntu 16.10 has already ended almost three years ago, and the package repositories that are needed for apt-get have already been removed.

You should perfom an upgrade to a supported Ubuntu release, e.g. Ubuntu 18.04.

 see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Cypie (cyrilharn) said : #3

Thank you for your help! I have tried to upgrade this old Intel Atom
netbook but version 18 bricks it. Thanks, again.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 2:13 AM Manfred Hampl <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #689377 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
> The support for Ubuntu 16.10 has already ended almost three years ago,
> and the package repositories that are needed for apt-get have already
> been removed.
>
> You should perfom an upgrade to a supported Ubuntu release, e.g. Ubuntu
> 18.04.
>
> see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377/+confirm?answer_id=1
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Best shivani mandora (shivani1708) said : #4

Hi,

If your issue is resolved then can you please close the query?

Cypie (cyrilharn) said : #5

Thanks shivani mandora, that solved my question.

Cypie (cyrilharn) said : #6

Ok. I've tried to close that issue for the second time now. Hopefully
that's done the job. Thanks.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, 02:11 shivani mandora <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #689377 on HPLIP changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
> Hi,
>
> If your issue is resolved then can you please close the query?
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/689377
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>