how do I update

Asked by Richard Binks on 2020-07-27

Using Linux. How do I update from 5.1.6 to 5.1.6.2?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
HomeBank Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Richard Sutton
Solved:
Last query:
Last reply:
Best Richard Sutton (rsutton43) said : #1

Richard,
You did not tell us which Linux distribution you are using. If version 5.1.6 is the latest version available for your linux, then about the only thing you can do is compile from source. It's actually very easy to do so, but some find it intimidating.

There is a very good article on compiling from source for linux that is easy to follow. You really should get up to date. The current version is 5.4.2.

Richard Binks (sheddweller1) said : #2

Thanks for replying, Richard.
The Linux version I am using is Mint Cinnamon 4.15.0-112. The update I want
is for the Homebank Software, not Linux. When I try load my data file (kept
on a separate memory card) I get a message saying the data was created
using a later version of Homebank, and it won’t load. Hope that clarifies
things.
Regards

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 at 16:41, Richard Sutton <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #692082 on HomeBank changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Richard Sutton proposed the following answer:
> Richard,
> You did not tell us which Linux distribution you are using. If version
> 5.1.6 is the latest version available for your linux, then about the only
> thing you can do is compile from source. It's actually very easy to do so,
> but some find it intimidating.
>
> There is a very good article on compiling from source for linux that is
> easy to follow. You really should get up to date. The current version
> is 5.4.2.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
--
Sent from my Difference Machine

Richard Sutton (rsutton43) said : #3

Where did the data file originate (from another system)? If you are only using Mint Cinnamon, I don't understand how the program (Homebank) and your data file (presumably, Portfolio) got out of sync. I assume that you are placing your Portfolio data on a memory card for security reasons. The only way that the data can get out of sync is from using that data on two systems that are not on the same version of Homebank.

I , myself, share my Portfolio file between Windows 10 and Arch linux, Ubuntu 20.04, and Mint 20 (Cinnamon). I don't have version issues on the Ubuntu versions (which includes Mint), but I occasionally have to compile from source on Arch (my preferred Linux) since it takes a while for Arch maintainers to catch up. Fortunately, Maxime provides a PPA so that Ubuntu and derivatives can keep up to date.

I would suggest that you following the procedures for using a PPA. Then your Mint installation will always have the latest updates and version mismatches will not occur.

I don't know if any of these ramblings are helpful or not, but what you are doing is not unusual.
Richard

Richard Binks (sheddweller1) said : #4

Thanks again for replying. I use two different laptops depending where I am
( saves carting them about). I will be back at home in a few days, so I’m
going to wait until then before I try resolve the version issue.
Should I fail I’ll come back to you. Very many thanks for your time.
Regards

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 18:15, Richard Sutton <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #692082 on HomeBank changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Richard Sutton requested more information:
> Where did the data file originate (from another system)? If you are
> only using Mint Cinnamon, I don't understand how the program (Homebank)
> and your data file (presumably, Portfolio) got out of sync. I assume
> that you are placing your Portfolio data on a memory card for security
> reasons. The only way that the data can get out of sync is from using
> that data on two systems that are not on the same version of Homebank.
>
> I , myself, share my Portfolio file between Windows 10 and Arch linux,
> Ubuntu 20.04, and Mint 20 (Cinnamon). I don't have version issues on
> the Ubuntu versions (which includes Mint), but I occasionally have to
> compile from source on Arch (my preferred Linux) since it takes a while
> for Arch maintainers to catch up. Fortunately, Maxime provides a PPA so
> that Ubuntu and derivatives can keep up to date.
>
> I would suggest that you following the procedures for using a PPA. Then
> your Mint installation will always have the latest updates and version
> mismatches will not occur.
>
> I don't know if any of these ramblings are helpful or not, but what you
> are doing is not unusual.
> Richard
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
--
Sent from my Difference Machine

Richard Binks (sheddweller1) said : #5

Hi, Richard
Just to let you know that I can now access my data file, having downloaded
the PPA (what ever that does!) and updated everything.

The version I am now using is 5.4.2

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Sent from my Difference Machine

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 17:40, Richard Binks <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thanks again for replying. I use two different laptops depending where I
> am ( saves carting them about). I will be back at home in a few days, so
> I’m going to wait until then before I try resolve the version issue.
> Should I fail I’ll come back to you. Very many thanks for your time.
> Regards
>
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 18:15, Richard Sutton <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
>> Your question #692082 on HomeBank changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>>
>> Status: Open => Needs information
>>
>> Richard Sutton requested more information:
>> Where did the data file originate (from another system)? If you are
>> only using Mint Cinnamon, I don't understand how the program (Homebank)
>> and your data file (presumably, Portfolio) got out of sync. I assume
>> that you are placing your Portfolio data on a memory card for security
>> reasons. The only way that the data can get out of sync is from using
>> that data on two systems that are not on the same version of Homebank.
>>
>> I , myself, share my Portfolio file between Windows 10 and Arch linux,
>> Ubuntu 20.04, and Mint 20 (Cinnamon). I don't have version issues on
>> the Ubuntu versions (which includes Mint), but I occasionally have to
>> compile from source on Arch (my preferred Linux) since it takes a while
>> for Arch maintainers to catch up. Fortunately, Maxime provides a PPA so
>> that Ubuntu and derivatives can keep up to date.
>>
>> I would suggest that you following the procedures for using a PPA. Then
>> your Mint installation will always have the latest updates and version
>> mismatches will not occur.
>>
>> I don't know if any of these ramblings are helpful or not, but what you
>> are doing is not unusual.
>> Richard
>>
>> --
>> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
>> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>>
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>>
> --
> Sent from my Difference Machine
>
>

Richard Sutton (rsutton43) said : #6

Hi,
Welcome back! I'm glad that you have your systems up-to-date and sharing data. I share my portfolio among several versions on linux and a couple of versions of windows. All works great! The PPA method is probably the best method to keep you updated.

A PPA (Personal Package Archive) is a way for Maxime to keep all the Ubuntu flavors up to date. He usually builds the Ubuntu package within a few days of the official release. The beauty of this method is that you get the updates (when they are available) thru 'sudo apt upgrade' like all your other updates.

We need to mark this thread SOLVED, but I think you have to do it as the original poster.

Richard

Richard Binks (sheddweller1) said : #7

OK, will do. Thanks for the info on PPA

Regards

Sent from my Difference Machine

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 at 18:50, Richard Sutton <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #692082 on HomeBank changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/homebank/+question/692082
>
> Richard Sutton posted a new comment:
> Hi,
> Welcome back! I'm glad that you have your systems up-to-date and sharing
> data. I share my portfolio among several versions on linux and a couple of
> versions of windows. All works great! The PPA method is probably the best
> method to keep you updated.
>
> A PPA (Personal Package Archive) is a way for Maxime to keep all the
> Ubuntu flavors up to date. He usually builds the Ubuntu package within
> a few days of the official release. The beauty of this method is that
> you get the updates (when they are available) thru 'sudo apt upgrade'
> like all your other updates.
>
> We need to mark this thread SOLVED, but I think you have to do it as the
> original poster.
>
> Richard
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Richard Binks (sheddweller1) said : #8

Thanks to all

Richard Binks (sheddweller1) said : #9

Thanks Richard Sutton, that solved my question.