Black sreen after replacing 19" monitor by 22 "

Asked by Eugene on 2009-12-09

ubuntu 9.10
Sorry I did not replace the summary in Question #93446
This is the same question with the right Summary

A replaced 19 inch sreen with 22 inch. I use SIS Mirage 3+ graphical card and Karmic (9.10). I just reported this bug.
 After adapting xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "Monitor0"
 VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName "Monitor Model"
 Option "HorizSync" 60-80 # zelf toegevoegd / added myself
 Option "VertRefresh" 60-75 # zelf toegevoegd /added
EndSection

the next problem is to get the right resolution (1680 x 1050) . How can I fix that?

+++++++++++++++====

Relevant part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier "X.org Configured"
 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Module"
 Load "dri2"
 Load "extmod"
 Load "record"
 Load "dri"
 Load "glx"
 Load "dbe"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "Monitor0"
 VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
 ModelName "Monitor Model"
 Option "HorizSync" 60-80 # zelf toegevoegd
 Option "VertRefresh" 60-75 # zelf toegevoegd
EndSection

Section "Device"
        #Option "FastVram" # [<bool>]
        #Option "HostBus" # [<bool>]
        #Option "BenchmarkMemcpy" # [<bool>]
        #Option "MaxXFBMem" # <i>
        #Option "Accel" # [<bool>]
        #Option "AccelMethod" # <str>
        #Option "TurboQueue" # [<bool>]
        #Option "RenderAcceleration" # [<bool>]
        #Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
        #Option "AGPSize" # <i>
        #Option "GARTSize" # <i>
        #Option "ShadowFB" # [<bool>]
        #Option "Rotate" # <str>
        #Option "Reflect" # <str>
        #Option "EnableSiSCtrl" # [<bool>]
        #Option "SWCursor" # [<bool>]
        #Option "HWCursor" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ColorHWCursor" # [<bool>]
        #Option "UseColorHWCursor" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ColorHWCursorBlending" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ColorHWCursorBlendThreshold" # <i>
        #Option "InternalModes" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ConstantDPI" # [<bool>]
        #Option "OverruleFrequencyRanges" # [<bool>]
        #Option "RestoreBySetMode" # [<bool>]
        Option "Vesa" "true" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ForceCRT1Type" # <str>
        #Option "ForceCRT1" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ForceCRT2Type" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2Detection" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CRT1LCD" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ForceCRT2ReDetection" # [<bool>]
        #Option "EnableHotkey" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ForceCRT1VGAAspect" # <str>
        #Option "ForceCRT2VGAAspect" # <str>
        #Option "UseROMData" # [<bool>]
        #Option "UseOEMData" # [<bool>]
        #Option "ScaleLCD" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CenterLCD" # [<bool>]
        #Option "PanelDelayCompensation" # <i>
        #Option "PDC" # <i>
        #Option "PanelDelayCompensation2" # <i>
        #Option "PDC2" # <i>
        #Option "PanelDelayCompensation1" # <i>
        #Option "PDC1" # <i>
        #Option "EMI" # <i>
        #Option "LVDSHL" # <i>
        #Option "ForcePanelRGB" # <i>
        #Option "SpecialTiming" # <str>
        #Option "TVStandard" # <str>
        #Option "TVXPosOffset" # <i>
        #Option "TVYPosOffset" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVEdgeEnhance" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVAntiFlicker" # <str>
        #Option "SISTVSaturation" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVCFilter" # [<bool>]
        #Option "SISTVYFilter" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVColorCalibFine" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVColorCalibCoarse" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVXScale" # <i>
        #Option "SISTVYScale" # <i>
        #Option "SenseYPbPr" # [<bool>]
        #Option "YPbPrAspectRatio" # <str>
        #Option "TVBlueWorkAround" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CHTVType" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CHTVOverscan" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CHTVSuperOverscan" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CHTVLumaBandwidthCVBS" # <i>
        #Option "CHTVLumaBandwidthSVIDEO" # <i>
        #Option "CHTVLumaFlickerFilter" # <i>
        #Option "CHTVChromaBandwidth" # <i>
        #Option "CHTVChromaFlickerFilter" # <i>
        #Option "CHTVCVBSColor" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CHTVTextEnhance" # <i>
        #Option "CHTVContrast" # <i>
        #Option "SIS6326TVAntiFlicker" # <str>
        #Option "SIS6326TVEnableYFilter" # [<bool>]
        #Option "SIS6326TVYFilterStrong" # [<bool>]
        #Option "SIS6326TVForcePlug" # <str>
        #Option "SIS6326FSCAdjust" # <i>
        #Option "CRT1Gamma" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CRT2Gamma" # [<str>]
        #Option "GammaBrightness" # <str>
        #Option "GammaBrightnessCRT2" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2GammaBrightness" # <str>
        #Option "Brightness" # <str>
        #Option "NewGammaBrightness" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2Brightness" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2NewGammaBrightness" # <str>
        #Option "Contrast" # <str>
        #Option "NewGammaContrast" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2Contrast" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2NewGammaContrast" # <str>
        #Option "CRT1Saturation" # <i>
        #Option "Xvideo" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvOnCRT2" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvGamma" # [<str>]
        #Option "XvDefaultContrast" # <i>
        #Option "XvDefaultBrightness" # <i>
        #Option "XvDefaultHue" # <i>
        #Option "XvDefaultSaturation" # <i>
        #Option "XvDefaultDisableGfx" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvDefaultDisableGfxLR" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvChromaMin" # <i>
        #Option "XvChromaMax" # <i>
        #Option "XvUseChromaKey" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvInsideChromaKey" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvYUVChromaKey" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvDisableColorKey" # [<bool>]
        #Option "XvDefaultAdaptor" # <str>
        #Option "YV12" # [<bool>]
        #Option "MergedFB" # [<str>]
        #Option "TwinView" # [<str>]
        #Option "MergedFBAuto" # [<bool>]
        #Option "CRT2HSync" # <str>
        #Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2VRefresh" # <str>
        #Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" # <str>
        #Option "CRT2Position" # <str>
        #Option "TwinViewOrientation" # <str>
        #Option "MetaModes" # <str>
        #Option "MergedDPI" # <str>
        #Option "MergedXinerama" # [<bool>]
        #Option "TwinviewXineramaInfo" # [<bool>]
        #Option "MergedXineramaScreen0" # [<str>]
        #Option "MergedXineramaCRT2IsScreen0" # [<bool>]
        #Option "MergedNonRectangular" # [<bool>]
        #Option "MergedMouseRestriction" # [<bool>]
        #Option "FutroTiming" # [<bool>]
        #Option "TraceVgaMISCW" # [<bool>]
        #Option "UseTiming1366" # [<bool>]
 Identifier "Card0"
 Driver "sisimedia"
 VendorName "Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]"
 BoardName "771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter"
 BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"
 Device "Card0"
 Monitor "Monitor0"
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport 0 0
  Depth 1
 EndSubSection
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport 0 0
  Depth 4
 EndSubSection
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport 0 0
  Depth 8
 EndSubSection
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport 0 0
  Depth 15
 EndSubSection
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport 0 0
  Depth 16
 EndSubSection
 SubSection "Display"
  Viewport 0 0
  Depth 24
 EndSubSection
EndSection

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu xserver-xorg-video-sis Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2009-12-10
Last reply:
2009-12-11

try booting to root recovery console and running:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_old; sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg; shutdown -r now

I'm hereby sending you as a attachment 4 jpg pictures. Could you please tell me when, where and how I can acces the root recovery mode!

eugene

Met vriendelijke groet,

Eugène Lemaire
Tel (0031) (0)6-55 132 404

www.klimmenvoorkanker.nl

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #93446]: Ubuntu won't start after update
> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:56:00 +0000
>
> Your question #93446 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/93446
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> try booting to root recovery console and running:
>
> mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_old; sudo dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg; shutdown -r now
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/93446/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/93446
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Het laatste nieuws, shownieuws en voetbalnieuws op MSN.nl
http://nl.msn.com/

From grub menu select recovery mode then select root after your system has booted some.

You can then run the commands and hopefully get some form of X server to then diagnose.

It workED ONCE. After your suggestions the laptop started. However to be on the safe side I've shut down the laptop completely and re-started it. After that I've got the same problem. I only get the black screen with the white ubuntu logo. After that the screen turns black.

I took a look in the X11 dir and there is NO xorg.conf file only the xorg.conf_old file.

Have you got another solution?

eugene

Karmic doesn't have the necessity for an xorg.conf file and will rely purely on HAL to detect and autoconfigure stuff.

Seems this is a good xorg.conf file for it (from http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Acer_Aspire_3002WLMi)

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier "X.Org Configured"
 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
 Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"

EndSection

Section "Module"
 Load "ddc"
 Load "vbe"
 Load "GLcore"
 Load "dbe"
 Load "dri"
 Load "extmod"
 Load "glx"
 Load "bitmap"
 Load "type1"
 Load "freetype"
 Load "record"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "Monitor0"
 HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0
 VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Card0"
 Driver "sis"
 VendorName "All"
 BoardName "All"
# BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"
 Device "Card0"
 Monitor "Monitor0"
 DefaultColorDepth 24
 SubSection "Display"
  Depth 24
  Modes "1280x800" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
 EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
 Mode 0666
EndSection

You can add this by running:

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

you can then type it (long) all in. If you have a USB stick, you can create the file on a good PC then transfer the file over to the new system and copy it to /etc/X11

If the system still doesn't fire up then edit the file and uncomment the line: BusID "PCI:1:0:0" by deleting the '#' character

To save and exit from nano press:
CTRL+X
Y
ENTER

Unfortunately SiS and other such cards are a bit weird in Linux so you will have to fight the xorg.conf file til you get a good display. I editted the file above so it is suitable for Ubuntu as the mouse and keyoard etc will be detected by HAL, the display is configured there to give us control and will hopefully get you an X server

By creating the file on a good machine you probably mean copy/paste it into gedit and save it as xorg.conf?

Problem is that if I insert the usb stick into the broken laptop I don't know how to access it by the command line!

So I need a little help.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Eugène Lemaire
Tel (0031) (0)6-55 132 404

www.klimmenvoorkanker.nl

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #93446]: Ubuntu won't start after update
> Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:52:04 +0000
>
> Your question #93446 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/93446
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Karmic doesn't have the necessity for an xorg.conf file and will rely
> purely on HAL to detect and autoconfigure stuff.
>
> Seems this is a good xorg.conf file for it (from http://en.gentoo-
> wiki.com/wiki/Acer_Aspire_3002WLMi)
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "X.Org Configured"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
>
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
> Load "ddc"
> Load "vbe"
> Load "GLcore"
> Load "dbe"
> Load "dri"
> Load "extmod"
> Load "glx"
> Load "bitmap"
> Load "type1"
> Load "freetype"
> Load "record"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> HorizSync 28.0 - 96.0
> VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "sis"
> VendorName "All"
> BoardName "All"
> # BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Card0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> DefaultColorDepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1280x800" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
> Mode 0666
> EndSection
>
>
> You can add this by running:
>
> nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> you can then type it (long) all in. If you have a USB stick, you can
> create the file on a good PC then transfer the file over to the new
> system and copy it to /etc/X11
>
> If the system still doesn't fire up then edit the file and uncomment the
> line: BusID "PCI:1:0:0" by deleting the '#' character
>
> To save and exit from nano press:
> CTRL+X
> Y
> ENTER
>
> Unfortunately SiS and other such cards are a bit weird in Linux so you
> will have to fight the xorg.conf file til you get a good display. I
> editted the file above so it is suitable for Ubuntu as the mouse and
> keyoard etc will be detected by HAL, the display is configured there to
> give us control and will hopefully get you an X server
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/93446/+confirm?answer_id=4
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/93446
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
25GB gratis online harde schijf
http://skydrive.live.com

You can mount it at command line:

sudo fdisk -l

Will display the partitions, you can mount the partition using:

mkdir /media/usb; mount /dev/partition_name /media/usb

You can then access the data by copying the file from /media/usb to /etc/X11

I get the impression that there is something seriously wrong with version 9.10 in relation to my acer aspire. I just reinstalled version 9.10 and the laptop works fine. After installing the 153 updates required by ubuntu the problem re-appeared.

Because I was fedup with this kind op crap I installed 9.04 again. All problems 9.10 were giving me are over! So for now my problem is solved because I'll continue using 9.04

thanks for all the help.

eugene

Vikram Dhillon (dhillon-v10) said : #9

We apologize for all the problems you got through, the graphics are
causing some regression in 9.10 but if you disable compiz, most problem
go away. Hopefully this will be fixed very soon in a release update

--
Regards,
Vikram Dhillon

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 14:20 +0000, Eugene wrote:
> Question #93446 on xserver-xorg-video-sis in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-sis/+question/93446
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> Eugene is still having a problem:
> I get the impression that there is something seriously wrong with
> version 9.10 in relation to my acer aspire. I just reinstalled version
> 9.10 and the laptop works fine. After installing the 153 updates
> required by ubuntu the problem re-appeared.
>
> Because I was fedup with this kind op crap I installed 9.04 again. All
> problems 9.10 were giving me are over! So for now my problem is solved
> because I'll continue using 9.04
>
> thanks for all the help.
>
> eugene
>

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Eugene for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.