Ubuntu 12.10 can't set correct screen resolution

Asked by MikeyP on 2012-10-30

My Samsung screen resolution is 1920x1080. Ubuntu 12.10 under system settings displays it only allows four options 1360x768 being the highest. My video card is a G84(GeForce8600GT). There are 4 additional drivers available the all work but don't change the resolution. The nouveau driver caused the screen to flicker evert few seconds.

I also looked in NVIDEA X Server settings but again the highest resolution is 1360x768 (it says NVIDEA Driver version: 304.4).
I'm not sure which is leading - System settings/Display or NVIDEA X Server settings.

The sceen interface is VGA which i have had to convert to DivX(?)with a converter plug because the card does'nt have a VGA port.

Its a real shame because I have gone for it and wiped out Windows! Hooray!

Any clues welcome!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Open
For:
Ubuntu xserver-xorg-video-nv Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2012-11-12
Last reply:
2012-11-01

Can you please give the output of:

sudo lshw -C display; lsb_release -a; uname -a; sudo dmidecode -t 1

Thanks

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #2

Hi, Output is :

mike@mike-KZ659AA-ABH-m9255-nl:~$ sudo lshw -C display; lsb_release -a; uname -a; sudo dmidecode -t 1
[sudo] password for mike:
  *-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:fd000000-fdffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:fa000000-fbffffff ioport:dc00(size=128) memory:feae0000-feafffff
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.10
Release: 12.10
Codename: quantal
Linux mike-KZ659AA-ABH-m9255-nl 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:32:08 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
# dmidecode 2.11
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
 Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
 Product Name: KZ659AA-ABH m9255.nl
 Version:
 Serial Number: CZH81802JN
 UUID: 7CEF7678-F016-DD11-B428-31FBB004D714
 Wake-up Type: Power Switch
 SKU Number: KZ659AA#ABH
 Family: 103C_53316J

mike@mike-KZ659AA-ABH-m9255-nl:~$

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #3

Do you think I should get a different video card maybe?

thanks for the help,
Mike.

Try running:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

reboot to test. If you get no desktop, boot to root recovery mode and delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file then reboot

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #5

Ok Tried that & I get

sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found

must be in the wrong directory?

thanks

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #6

Hi,

I changed directory to root and ran " sudo nvidia-xconfig " . The command
ran ok this time. I rebooted but the resolution is still the same.

I also tried some other distros:

Linux Mint 13
Linux Mint 11
Rosa Live
Fedora 17
PCLinuxOS 2010
OpenSuse 11.4

They all do not detect the correct display setting and have a maximum
resolution of 1024x768

It would appear that there are no drivers that support 1920x1080 yet?

Maybe I should put the question directly to Nvidia? At the moment it seems
I have to buy a new monitor which matches the resolutions offered. I read
that there are a lot of people with a similar problem.

Thanks,

On 1 November 2012 19:50, MikeyP <email address hidden>wrote:

> Your question #212776 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/212776
>
> MikeyP posted a new comment:
> Ok Tried that & I get
>
> sudo: nvidia-xconfig: command not found
>
> must be in the wrong directory?
>
> thanks
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #7

Today I tried a few possibilities I found on the web.. sadly none of them have worked! (sob)

http://www.itworld.com/software/289579/install-nvidia-driver-30432-linux-mint-13-or-ubuntu-12041210

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=90634

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/08/03/adding-a-widescreen-monitor-in-linux/

My monitor is a :

Samsung 22" S22A100NS LED
Blk,VGA,5M:1,250cd,5ms

    Ingebouwde luidsprekers: Nee
    Resolutie: 1920 x 1080 pixels
    Responstijd: 5 ms
    Helderheid: 200 cd/m²

Because my NVIDEA card has no VGS interface I am using a DivX to VGS converter plug.

I'm at a loss.. I really don't want to back to Windows.

fingers crossed!..thanks fo the help

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #8

oops VGS.. I mean VGA!

Izon (izon1453) said : #9

Hi!
I have the same problem with Samsung S22A350N and nVidia GeForce GT 520 graphic card.
For me the solution was to return to Ubuntu 12.04 and use proprietary drivers.
Sorry for bad English...

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #10

Many thanks for your reply - your English is fine!

I'm relieved to hear somebody else with this problem. I wonder if the
problem will ever be fixed in 12.10?

I am going to try a different Video card first. I found that I had a ATI
Radeon card in my old /dead Windows PC. That card has a VGA Port and a
simple Video out connector.
I'm hoping if I just replace my nVidea card with this that Ubuntu 12.10
will find it and use it.

If that fails I'll have to do a complete reinstall of Ubuntu 12.04 as you
suggest. Can you tell me the name of the proprietary drivers you used? Also
how did you select it?

It might take me a few days before I can do this..I'll let you know how I
get on.

I hope it helps other people with this problem.

Thanks for your help!

On 7 November 2012 18:21, Izon <email address hidden> wrote:

> Your question #212776 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/212776
>
> Izon posted a new comment:
> Hi!
> I have the same problem with Samsung S22A350N and nVidia GeForce GT 520
> graphic card.
> For me the solution was to return to Ubuntu 12.04 and use proprietary
> drivers.
> Sorry for bad English...
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Izon (izon1453) said : #11

There is "Additional drivers" app in 12.04. At Ubuntu 12.10 is was integrated(?) into "System settings".
After setup (of 12.04) it suggested some different packages of and I picked (post-release updates)(version current-updates), now it is version 304.43.

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #12

Hi Izon,

Ok thanks for the information. It looks like I will have to try that.

I replaced the nVidia card with my old ATI Radeon card, reconnected
everything and booted.

It all started up with no errors even displayed the UBUNTU loading screen!
And guess what ..it was the correct resolution 1920x1080 !!
..........BUT...... I could not see the Unity dock or the upper menu bar.
Just the wallpaper! Rats! Anyway I right clicked an it gave me the option
to change the background which then gave me the option to click the All
settings tab. I then clicked the display icon and amazingly found it had
identified the Samsung screen and I had a huge list of resolutions. I tried
a lot of lower resolutions but none worked. So close but so far.

Luckily I had put a shortcut to my Gmail on the desktop so I could get a
browser loaded. I had a search for this problem and ended up running a lot
of commands from a terminal session (which I know now you can start with
Ctrl Alt & F1). Basically all the instructions where to revert the Drivers
to older versions but when I booted I could'nt get anything but a screen
saver with a floating box saying 19020 x 1080 & 60 Hertz. Great!

I am so frustrated! My wife was pressuring to get on her Email so I
replaced the old nVidea card then had a load of hassle getting back to the
old status. Had to resetup the nVidea propriery drivers. ( I have no clue
which one to choose but it was on the Nouveau driver which simply did'nt
work well. I chose the first one that said nVidea because I could not
expand the text box to see all the text.

I reloaded again and thank the Lord can now see the entire screen again at
1152x864 which is horrible! Also the top menu bar now has some kind of
small size font. No idea how I managed that!

So after much swearing I am back to square one!

I have now tried the nvidia-current-updates(proprietry) drive and its
solved the top menu small font issue.

So I will try the new installation of Ubuntu 12.04 but you know I'm very
dissappointed that I have to go through this I have no feeling that these
problems will be solved. But there is no such thing as a free lunch eh?

Will post again after the 12.04 test.

regards & thanks

On 8 November 2012 18:35, Izon <email address hidden> wrote:

> Your question #212776 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/212776
>
> Izon posted a new comment:
> There is "Additional drivers" app in 12.04. At Ubuntu 12.10 is was
> integrated(?) into "System settings".
> After setup (of 12.04) it suggested some different packages of and I
> picked (post-release updates)(version current-updates), now it is version
> 304.43.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #13

Hi Izon (again),

Sorry to bother you again..I have some more questions before I do the 12.04
install:

1. Does your nVidia card have a VGA port.? (Mine does not. Its has DivX and
HDI so I have bought a DivX to VGA converter plug. I suspect this is why my
screen does not get recognised.

2. Did you try Ubuntu 12.04 from the Live CD before installing? Did it show
the correct resolution from the Live CD?

Many thanks for your help,

On 8 November 2012 21:34, Michael Phillips <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hi Izon,
>
> Ok thanks for the information. It looks like I will have to try that.
>
> I replaced the nVidia card with my old ATI Radeon card, reconnected
> everything and booted.
>
> It all started up with no errors even displayed the UBUNTU loading screen!
> And guess what ..it was the correct resolution 1920x1080 !!
> ..........BUT...... I could not see the Unity dock or the upper menu bar.
> Just the wallpaper! Rats! Anyway I right clicked an it gave me the option
> to change the background which then gave me the option to click the All
> settings tab. I then clicked the display icon and amazingly found it had
> identified the Samsung screen and I had a huge list of resolutions. I tried
> a lot of lower resolutions but none worked. So close but so far.
>
> Luckily I had put a shortcut to my Gmail on the desktop so I could get a
> browser loaded. I had a search for this problem and ended up running a lot
> of commands from a terminal session (which I know now you can start with
> Ctrl Alt & F1). Basically all the instructions where to revert the Drivers
> to older versions but when I booted I could'nt get anything but a screen
> saver with a floating box saying 19020 x 1080 & 60 Hertz. Great!
>
> I am so frustrated! My wife was pressuring to get on her Email so I
> replaced the old nVidea card then had a load of hassle getting back to the
> old status. Had to resetup the nVidea propriery drivers. ( I have no clue
> which one to choose but it was on the Nouveau driver which simply did'nt
> work well. I chose the first one that said nVidea because I could not
> expand the text box to see all the text.
>
> I reloaded again and thank the Lord can now see the entire screen again at
> 1152x864 which is horrible! Also the top menu bar now has some kind of
> small size font. No idea how I managed that!
>
> So after much swearing I am back to square one!
>
> I have now tried the nvidia-current-updates(proprietry) drive and its
> solved the top menu small font issue.
>
> So I will try the new installation of Ubuntu 12.04 but you know I'm very
> dissappointed that I have to go through this I have no feeling that these
> problems will be solved. But there is no such thing as a free lunch eh?
>
> Will post again after the 12.04 test.
>
> regards & thanks
>
>
>
> On 8 November 2012 18:35, Izon <email address hidden>wrote:
>
>> Your question #212776 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/212776
>>
>> Izon posted a new comment:
>> There is "Additional drivers" app in 12.04. At Ubuntu 12.10 is was
>> integrated(?) into "System settings".
>> After setup (of 12.04) it suggested some different packages of and I
>> picked (post-release updates)(version current-updates), now it is version
>> 304.43.
>>
>> --
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>>
>
>

Izon (izon1453) said : #14

I had a problem with VGA port like you about 6 months ago.
PC set pikture "wider" than my display could show. It is hard to explain... Ubuntu 12.04 recognized my monitor (with AMD card and VGA interface) and set 1920x1080 resolution, but leftside of picture (about 0.5 inch) was "outside" of my display. I did not see Unity dock and could not configure video or display settings (by buttons on display) to see it. When i mowed pickture right it was cut on the left.
And also I did not see full text "Loading operating system" at startup (right after BIOS picture), so I deсided return graphic card to shop. With nVidia everything became OK.
About a week ago I connected my display friend's PC with windows 7 by VGA interface an see the same picture. So now i think, that cutting picture is a bug of some Samsung displays maybe... Or bad realisation of VGA interface of some cards... But this is not Ubuntu problem!

Izon (izon1453) said : #15

1. Yes. My nVidia card (MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP) has VGA port also DVI (DivX?) and HDMI. I use only VGA because my display (S22A350N) have only VGA port. I'm agree with your supposition about DivX to VGA converter, but of cource, don't know exactly.

2. Don't remember exactly, I will try it in evening. But there was not any graphical problems with 12.04 on my PCs.

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #16

Hi Again,

So, here I am booted in Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS Live CD. My screen is flickering
every few seconds the resolution is 1024 x 768 ( only other option is 800 x
600). Aaaarrggghh!

My screen is connected on my nVidia card via the DVI port using a DVI to
VGA converter plug.

I am pretty convinced now that converter plug is stopping detection of my
screen type. I think Ubuntu 12.10 definitely has problems with nVidia
cards. I also think you are succesful because you are connecting your
screen direct to the VGA port on the NVidia card.

My last chance is to install Ubuntu 12.04 swap back to my ATi Radeon card
which has a VGA port and hope that 12.04 will display the desktop correctly!

Life is too short for this !!

So more work to do.. watch this space!!

regards,

On 10 November 2012 18:51, Izon <email address hidden>wrote:

> Your question #212776 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/212776
>
> Izon posted a new comment:
> 1. Yes. My nVidia card (MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP) has VGA port also DVI
> (DivX?) and HDMI. I use only VGA because my display (S22A350N) have only
> VGA port. I'm agree with your supposition about DivX to VGA converter,
> but of cource, don't know exactly.
>
> 2. Don't remember exactly, I will try it in evening. But there was not
> any graphical problems with 12.04 on my PCs.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Izon (izon1453) said : #17

Did you try any of your PC configurations (PC-video-display) with windows xp, for example? does it works fine?

MikeyP (mike-phillips1000) said : #18

Hi,

Yes I was running XP with this screen no problems using the ATi Radeon
card. The XP machine died due to Power supply problems so I got this *HP
Desktop Elite M9255 *second hand. So I know that the ATi card & screen
combo works on XP.

regards,
Mike.

The HP machine has the NVidea card installed as standard.

On 11 November 2012 18:25, Izon <email address hidden>wrote:

> Your question #212776 on xserver-xorg-video-nv in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+question/212776
>
> Izon posted a new comment:
> Did you try any of your PC configurations (PC-video-display) with
> windows xp, for example? does it works fine?
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Izon (izon1453) said : #19

I created a bugreport about this issue. Mark that it is affects you, please.
Hope it will be repaired...

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask MikeyP for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.