intel gpu with Ubuntu 11.10 black screen at boot

Asked by Mike McDougal on 2012-08-28

Installed from Kubuntu 11.10 CD.
Restarted after installation and it won't boot up.
Comes up with a blue screen and message:
Error: couldn't read file. Press any key to continue.
I press any key and it does nothing. Sits on a black screen with a blinking insertion point.

Tried booting a couple of times and same thing.

Any ideas?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu xserver-xorg-video-intel Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2012-08-29
Last query:
2012-08-29
Last reply:
2012-08-29

What video chip do you use?
Does the system have a make and model?

Mike McDougal (amangra) said : #2

Graphics
Display resolution
1024 x 600
Graphics
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (up to 256 MB)

That's from a review, I'm pretty sure it's what I have.

It's a crappy netbook, HP mini 210 (I think).

Mike

On 29/08/2012, at 1:41 AM, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

> Your question #207052 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> What video chip do you use?
> Does the system have a make and model?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Try the boot option:

nomodeset

Mike McDougal (amangra) said : #4

Not sure what you mean.
The options available are:
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic (recovery mode)
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)

Mike

On 29/08/2012, at 2:01 AM, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

> Your question #207052 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Try the boot option:
>
> nomodeset
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

press E to (e)dit the boot, remove 'quiet spash' and add 'nomodeset' then press ENTER to boot

Mike McDougal (amangra) said : #6

Followed your instructions but still says the same message and sorry if I need clarification.

On 29/08/2012, at 2:15 AM, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

> Your question #207052 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> press E to (e)dit the boot, remove 'quiet spash' and add 'nomodeset'
> then press ENTER to boot
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052/+confirm?answer_id=4
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/207052
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Try the safe mode graphics, may help. Is the OS fully upgraded?

Mike McDougal (amangra) said : #8

Thanks for the help.