After months I have been trying to use Ubuntu 11.04. All the bugs related to it made me give up. In fact, the worst bug of all is the mouse one. The cursor freezes suddenly and nobody seems to have the most remote idea about how to fix it.

Asked by henrique klein pedroso on 2011-10-10

Worst, seems as if all Ubuntu community decided to remain mute about it, as if not talking about a serious problem is going to make it disappear. If you google the words "mouse issues in Ubuntu 11.04" you will see thousands of people complaining about this. No "expert" seems to be at least a little interested about this. So, i decided to go back to my former stable version 9.04. Now I can not even add an application from the repository. A message says the repository is no longer available. Well, I can not complain because in the end I had good times with Ubuntu 9.04 for at least two years. Now I am going back to windows just for a time until I will get money enough to afford an apple computer. Thanks a lot folks! It has been a good promise to have a good open and free operating system. The dream is over!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu xserver-xorg-input-mouse Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2011-10-12
Last query:
2011-10-12
Last reply:
2011-10-10

Tht's because Jaunty support is dead. It is EOL (End of life). The earliest supported release is Lucid. Have you tried Oneiric? Have you tried other releases? There are MILLIONS more distributions that Ubuntu so saying "It has been a good promise to have a good open and free operating system" shows complete ignorance of teh OS. I suggest you check out http://distrowatch.com/

Maybe a different distro will work nicer (avoid Mint, Backtrack etc and other OSes 'based' on Ubuntu as it is essentially the same OS). Try things like Mandriva, Fedora or Suse. These are also free and work differently to Ubuntu.

Well, you are right when you say I am completely ignorant on OS.
Nevertheless, when you are up to download a version of Ubuntu, nobody asks
you to be a geek. It is not a condition one must fill a priori. When I need
an OS I just need it as a common user. That means, to send and receive
e-mail's, to watch some videos on Youtube, and maybe, if it is not to demand
too much, wear Skype to talk to friends abroad.

I have nothing against an operating system conceived for people that have
expertise on programming. But it should not be offered to common users as a
good option to windows. I should stress that in my humble opinion Ubuntu
9.04 was really close to be such an option. Now seems as if somebody spoiled
it all.

You showed me some millions of different OS. OK, what should I do? Testing
one by one untill I find a bugless one that does not demad the user to be an
expert? Well, I do not intend to make a complet course on computing. Just
want to use them as billions of people do everyday.

Any how, thanks for you attention.

Sincerely yours

Henrique Klein Pedroso

PS: what a hell is a "distro"

2011/10/10 actionparsnip <email address hidden>

> Your question #173848 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/173848
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Tht's because Jaunty support is dead. It is EOL (End of life). The
> earliest supported release is Lucid. Have you tried Oneiric? Have you
> tried other releases? There are MILLIONS more distributions that Ubuntu
> so saying "It has been a good promise to have a good open and free
> operating system" shows complete ignorance of teh OS. I suggest you
> check out http://distrowatch.com/
>
> Maybe a different distro will work nicer (avoid Mint, Backtrack etc and
> other OSes 'based' on Ubuntu as it is essentially the same OS). Try
> things like Mandriva, Fedora or Suse. These are also free and work
> differently to Ubuntu.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/173848/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/173848
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Distro is short for distribution. ubuntu is a distribution based on Linux. other distros include redhat, mandriva and puppy to name but a few.

They all have the same kernel (albeit different versions) but they are implemented differently and have different goals. ubuntu's goal is to be good for Linux newcomers. puppy is one of the lightest desktop based distros around.
I can recommend Mandriva and Suse, both are awesome and use different packages to ubuntu. See how they go for you :-)

I tried to wear puppy, but I was not capable to make it run. This is very embarrassing because seems it is the kind of stuff that any child can wear. I must be very stupid. I am going to try mandriva. Anyhow, thanks for the tips.

Henrique K. Pedroso