How do i install new nvidia driver and other software from other software suppliers?

Asked by baccorifaldo@gmail.com on 2010-01-05

want to install more software but cannot add source on source list

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu xserver-xorg-driver-nv Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Soul-Sing
Solved:
2010-01-05
Last query:
2010-01-05
Last reply:
2010-01-05
Appiah (appiah) said : #1

Click System
Then Administration
Then Hardware Drivers

Here you can activate nvidia drivers

Best Soul-Sing (soulzing) said : #2

please do not use software from outside the off. ubuntu repositories. as Appiah said ubuntu comes with nvidia drivers, the newest drivers from nvidia /the nvidia site will break your system after a kernel update.....
if you want the newest software there are PPA packages in launchpad for some software. always sign the key when using this sources!

There's a new nvidia driver ,190.53, but it doesn't appear to be installable as when downloaded it opens as text.Adobe Air supplies its own installer. I'd like to point out that Wine doesn't work,it opens up oversized and half windowed.

Soul-Sing (soulzing) said : #4

did you install the driver via the "how to" Appiah explained?
(Click System
Then Administration
Then Hardware Drivers

Here you can activate nvidia drivers)?

Where are you using Wine for? there are many native linux alternatives for windows software....
Please do not use the nvidia driver from outside the repositories/software sources. Only experienced
users will use them....
Wine, please use this wiki to set-up/install wine: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Soul-Sing (soulzing) said : #5

adobe air bin via the website: in the terminal: sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

There's no alternative to Autocad and other professional software.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:02 PM, leoquant <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #96276 on software-center in ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+question/96276
>
> leoquant posted a new comment:
> did you install the driver via the "how to" Appiah explained?
> (Click System
> Then Administration
> Then Hardware Drivers
>
> Here you can activate nvidia drivers)?
>
> Where are you using Wine for? there are many native linux alternatives for
> windows software....
> Please do not use the nvidia driver from outside the repositories/software
> sources. Only experienced
> users will use them....
> Wine, please use this wiki to set-up/install wine:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Adobe Air and Adobe Air appls install themselves.
Best regards Aldo

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM, leoquant <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #96276 on software-center in ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+question/96276
>
> leoquant posted a new comment:
> adobe air bin via the website: in the terminal: sudo
> ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>