I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts.

Asked by jessica on 2008-10-15

Binary package hint: openoffice.org

Everytime I am typing, the cursor tends to move and then I am typing inside of another word. I always have to be careful and check that what I am typing is correct because of how often this happens. It doesn't matter if I am in open office or emailing or just on the internet. It always seems to happen. I am not sure why all of a sudden it doesn't just leave off from where I am typing it jumps back up to where I typed earlier and just starts from there. This causes a lot of problems. Can you help please?

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
Date: Wed Oct 15 12:14:00 2008
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
Package: openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2
PackageArchitecture: i386
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=/usr/lib/openoffice/program:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: openoffice.org
Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic i686

jessica (jessica0833) said : #1
Chris Cheney (ccheney) said : #2

Are you using a laptop? If so you may be bumping your touchpad inadvertently which can cause that.

jessica (jessica0833) said : #3

Yes I am using a laptop but that is not the problem. It has just start hapenning since I am now using this program. This is a new thing. I sit at the table when I do most of my typing so I don't think that is the problem. Any other suggestion?

> From: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:43:01 +0000
> Subject: [Bug 283979] Re: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts.
>
> Are you using a laptop? If so you may be bumping your touchpad
> inadvertently which can cause that.
>
> ** Changed in: openoffice.org (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283979
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “openoffice.org” source package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: openoffice.org
>
> Everytime I am typing, the cursor tends to move and then I am typing inside of another word. I always have to be careful and check that what I am typing is correct because of how often this happens. It doesn't matter if I am in open office or emailing or just on the internet. It always seems to happen. I am not sure why all of a sudden it doesn't just leave off from where I am typing it jumps back up to where I typed earlier and just starts from there. This causes a lot of problems. Can you help please?
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Wed Oct 15 12:14:00 2008
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
> Package: openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2
> PackageArchitecture: i386
> ProcEnviron:
> PATH=/usr/lib/openoffice/program:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: openoffice.org
> Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic i686

_________________________________________________________________
See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093182mrt/direct/01/

Chris Cheney (ccheney) said : #4

You said above it was happening both in your email program (Evolution?), internet (Firefox?) and in OpenOffice.org so it really sounds like it is probably the touchpad.

jessica (jessica0833) said : #5

yes in firefox. I have never had problems before until now downloading ubuntu and openoffice.org... I just thought maybe I could push a key or something and have it stop. If there isn't anything you can do then thanks for trying. > From: <email address hidden>> To: <email address hidden>> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:55:40 +0000> Subject: [Bug 283979] Re: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts.> > You said above it was happening both in your email program (Evolution?),> internet (Firefox?) and in OpenOffice.org so it really sounds like it is> probably the touchpad.> > -- > I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts. > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283979> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber> of the bug.> > Status in “openoffice.org” source package in Ubuntu: Incomplete> > Bug description:> Binary package hint: openoffice.org> > Everytime I am typing, the cursor tends to move and then I am typing inside of another word. I always have to be careful and check that what I am typing is correct because of how often this happens. It doesn't matter if I am in open office or emailing or just on the internet. It always seems to happen. I am not sure why all of a sudden it doesn't just leave off from where I am typing it jumps back up to where I typed earlier and just starts from there. This causes a lot of problems. Can you help please?> > ProblemType: Bug> Architecture: i386> Date: Wed Oct 15 12:14:00 2008> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04> Package: openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2> PackageArchitecture: i386> ProcEnviron:> PATH=/usr/lib/openoffice/program:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games> LANG=en_US.UTF-8> SHELL=/bin/bash> SourcePackage: openoffice.org> Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic i686
_________________________________________________________________
Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008

Chris Cheney (ccheney) said : #6

This might be a input issue with xorg, maybe? But certainly isn't an openoffice.org issue since it affects a lot of applications. Reassigning to xorg.

Bryce Harrington (bryce) said : #7

Hi jessica0833,

Thanks for including the attached files. Could you also include your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

jessica (jessica0833) said : #8

OK I may be a bit illiterate to all of those things you asked me for....Could you please tell me what those are? Thank you very much. I know a little about computers but not as much as I should I guess;-)
Jessica> From: <email address hidden>> To: <email address hidden>> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 07:14:40 +0000> Subject: [Bug 283979] Re: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts. > > Hi jessica0833,> > > Thanks for including the attached files. Could you also include your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?> > > ** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)> Status: New => Incomplete> > -- > I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts. > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283979> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber> of the bug.> > Status in “xorg” source package in Ubuntu: Incomplete> > Bug description:> Binary package hint: openoffice.org> > Everytime I am typing, the cursor tends to move and then I am typing inside of another word. I always have to be careful and check that what I am typing is correct because of how often this happens. It doesn't matter if I am in open office or emailing or just on the internet. It always seems to happen. I am not sure why all of a sudden it doesn't just leave off from where I am typing it jumps back up to where I typed earlier and just starts from there. This causes a lot of problems. Can you help please?> > ProblemType: Bug> Architecture: i386> Date: Wed Oct 15 12:14:00 2008> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04> Package: openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2> PackageArchitecture: i386> ProcEnviron:> PATH=/usr/lib/openoffice/program:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games> LANG=en_US.UTF-8> SHELL=/bin/bash> SourcePackage: openoffice.org> Uname: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic i686
_________________________________________________________________
You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/

Bryce Harrington (bryce) said : #9

I think you just need to configure your touchpad correctly. Converting to Question for some tech support on how to do this.

Jim Hutchinson (jphutch) said : #10

Yes, this is caused by bumping the touchpad. It is probably set to detect taps which will cause the cursor to move to wherever the mouse it. I also found this very annoying. It's not just an Ubuntu thing as I notice it on any laptop with tapping enabled. The key is to just turn off tapping.

Open the add/remove tool under applications and then search for touchpad. Install the program. You will have to manually edit a file to make the program work right (unless it's changed - if you can launch it without an error then no worries). Chances are you will need to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It's easy. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#shmconfig and follow the steps for 8.04 or earlier unless you are using 8.10.

jessica (jessica0833) said : #11

OK so you were right I cant seem to delete the touchpad prorgram or disable it but I am very confused on how to download the program that you said to disable this. I trierated to do it several times and can't figure out what to download etc. It isn't very user friendly for someone who isn't to computer literate. Can you help with showing me or telling me how to download the program to disable my touchpad? Thank you very much! I would very much appreciate any assistance you can give me besides just the link...Thank you:)
Jessica

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #48883]: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have tried to use the inset button but that doesn't work. It mainly happens when I am emailing or when I am typing in word processor. Can you please help me with this? It is driving me nuts.
> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 01:53:34 +0000
>
> Your question #48883 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jim Hutchinson proposed the following answer:
> Yes, this is caused by bumping the touchpad. It is probably set to
> detect taps which will cause the cursor to move to wherever the mouse
> it. I also found this very annoying. It's not just an Ubuntu thing as I
> notice it on any laptop with tapping enabled. The key is to just turn
> off tapping.
>
> Open the add/remove tool under applications and then search for
> touchpad. Install the program. You will have to manually edit a file to
> make the program work right (unless it's changed - if you can launch it
> without an error then no worries). Chances are you will need to edit the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It's easy. See
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#shmconfig and follow
> the steps for 8.04 or earlier unless you are using 8.10.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883/+confirm?answer_id=9
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive.
http://skydrive.live.com/welcome.aspx?provision=1?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_102008

Jim Hutchinson (jphutch) said : #12

You don't want to delete anything. You want to install a program that gives you more control over the touchpad. The program is call qsynaptics. You can find it via add/remove by searching for "touchpad". However, it's probably easier to do it in a terminal window. Open one (from apps - accessories) and enter the following command

sudo apt-get install gsynaptics

Type it exactly or just copy paste. When asked, give your password and press enter. Nothing shows as you type your password. If it says it needs to install additional packages as well just answer yes. When it finishes you will have a new item on the system - prefs menu called Touchpad (I think). Just and FYI, there is also a program called qsynaptics (Q vs G). I really don't know what the difference is and have used both.

It may not run until you edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as described in the link in my last post. However, it seems that page was just edited and the info you need changed (maybe changed just before you looked at it so that's why you are confused). If you are using version 8.10 (Intrepid) which isn't technically release yet but will be this coming Thursday then I think you can follow those directions, but I haven't messed with it yet in Intrepid so I'm not sure. However, if you are running 8.04 or earlier then just do this:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You will need to enter your password here too when asked.

Find the "InputDevice" section for the touchpad. It looks like this or similar:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
EndSection

Add:

        Option "SHMConfig" "on"

before the EndSection part. Exactly where doesn't really matter.

Save the file and hit ctrl+alt+backspace. That will restart the desktop and enable the touchpad tool. Make sure you don't have open and unsaved documents as the ctrl-alt-backspace kills all running apps.

Hope that helps.

jessica (jessica0833) said : #13

I see what you are saying but I get stuck when it comes to the part after I put that code in the terminal and I input my password. It opens up that window and then it is blank. I don't see where I put anything else in the "inputdevices" part I am so confused on. I guess I just get stuck after I put in the code and my password then from there I dont see what else to do. I played around with it to see if I could find it anything that states "inputdevices" and I couldn't find anything that fit that description.. Help what am I doing wrong? I really appreciate all of your help with this. I know it must be frusturating trying to explain this to someone who is clueless;-).
Jessica

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #48883]: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have trie
> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:25:28 +0000
>
> Your question #48883 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jim Hutchinson proposed the following answer:
> You don't want to delete anything. You want to install a program that
> gives you more control over the touchpad. The program is call
> qsynaptics. You can find it via add/remove by searching for "touchpad".
> However, it's probably easier to do it in a terminal window. Open one
> (from apps - accessories) and enter the following command
>
> sudo apt-get install gsynaptics
>
> Type it exactly or just copy paste. When asked, give your password and
> press enter. Nothing shows as you type your password. If it says it
> needs to install additional packages as well just answer yes. When it
> finishes you will have a new item on the system - prefs menu called
> Touchpad (I think). Just and FYI, there is also a program called
> qsynaptics (Q vs G). I really don't know what the difference is and have
> used both.
>
> It may not run until you edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as described
> in the link in my last post. However, it seems that page was just edited
> and the info you need changed (maybe changed just before you looked at
> it so that's why you are confused). If you are using version 8.10
> (Intrepid) which isn't technically release yet but will be this coming
> Thursday then I think you can follow those directions, but I haven't
> messed with it yet in Intrepid so I'm not sure. However, if you are
> running 8.04 or earlier then just do this:
>
> gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> You will need to enter your password here too when asked.
>
> Find the "InputDevice" section for the touchpad. It looks like this or
> similar:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
> Driver "synaptics"
> Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Add:
>
> Option "SHMConfig" "on"
>
> before the EndSection part. Exactly where doesn't really matter.
>
> Save the file and hit ctrl+alt+backspace. That will restart the desktop
> and enable the touchpad tool. Make sure you don't have open and unsaved
> documents as the ctrl-alt-backspace kills all running apps.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883/+confirm?answer_id=11
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/

Jim Hutchinson (jphutch) said : #14

Are you typing the path 100% correctly? Note that the X in X11 is capitalized. If you type even one character wrong it will open up a blank file as opposed to the one you want to edit.

jessica (jessica0833) said : #15

OK so I did what you told me to and now everything seems huge on my screen. Is there somewhere now that I have everything on my screen bigger then it was before. Is theree somewhere where you can direct me to put it back to how it was before? and it is still acting like it used to with putting the cursor in the middle of words randomly. So I guess all that work and it still isn't fixed:( any other suggestions???
Jessica

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #48883]: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have trie
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:00:16 +0000
>
> Your question #48883 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jim Hutchinson proposed the following answer:
> Are you typing the path 100% correctly? Note that the X in X11 is
> capitalized. If you type even one character wrong it will open up a
> blank file as opposed to the one you want to edit.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883/+confirm?answer_id=13
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive.
http://skydrive.live.com/welcome.aspx?provision=1?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_102008

jessica (jessica0833) said : #16

Ok so I just deleted what I just did what turning it on and now the screen is back to normal size again. I will just keep playing aroudn with it. Maybe I can figure it out. Thanks again for all your help. I will try and complete the terminal again like you said and see if I can figure it out. It seems right now that for whatever reason it is not placing the letters inside other words. Maybe I figured it out by accident:)

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #48883]: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have trie
> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:25:28 +0000
>
> Your question #48883 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jim Hutchinson proposed the following answer:
> You don't want to delete anything. You want to install a program that
> gives you more control over the touchpad. The program is call
> qsynaptics. You can find it via add/remove by searching for "touchpad".
> However, it's probably easier to do it in a terminal window. Open one
> (from apps - accessories) and enter the following command
>
> sudo apt-get install gsynaptics
>
> Type it exactly or just copy paste. When asked, give your password and
> press enter. Nothing shows as you type your password. If it says it
> needs to install additional packages as well just answer yes. When it
> finishes you will have a new item on the system - prefs menu called
> Touchpad (I think). Just and FYI, there is also a program called
> qsynaptics (Q vs G). I really don't know what the difference is and have
> used both.
>
> It may not run until you edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as described
> in the link in my last post. However, it seems that page was just edited
> and the info you need changed (maybe changed just before you looked at
> it so that's why you are confused). If you are using version 8.10
> (Intrepid) which isn't technically release yet but will be this coming
> Thursday then I think you can follow those directions, but I haven't
> messed with it yet in Intrepid so I'm not sure. However, if you are
> running 8.04 or earlier then just do this:
>
> gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> You will need to enter your password here too when asked.
>
> Find the "InputDevice" section for the touchpad. It looks like this or
> similar:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
> Driver "synaptics"
> Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Add:
>
> Option "SHMConfig" "on"
>
> before the EndSection part. Exactly where doesn't really matter.
>
> Save the file and hit ctrl+alt+backspace. That will restart the desktop
> and enable the touchpad tool. Make sure you don't have open and unsaved
> documents as the ctrl-alt-backspace kills all running apps.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883/+confirm?answer_id=11
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008

Jim Hutchinson (jphutch) said : #17

Nothing we changed should have affected your resolution. However, the file you edited does control resolution as well but in a different section. I probably should have had you make a backup but I get kind of lazy that way. Anyway, you should be able to go in and remove the change(s) you made. It was just the one line (unless you bounced around and made other changes intentionally or not).

Assuming you make the correct change to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and you installed the "gsynaptics" program, and you restarted your desktop or rebooted then everything should be as it was before only now you will be able to use the "touchpad" program to turn off tapping.

Since I am not there with you I cannot verify that a step was not overlooked or that some typo was introduced. Please go back though the steps and either verify that everything was done correctly or remove the changes and begin again. Before you go any further you should probably make a backup.

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Don't miss the space between the first xorg.conf and the /etc part of the second part.

If you are not sure if you made any unintentional changes you can post the whole xorg.conf here but I can't guarantee that I'll know what's out of place.

jessica (jessica0833) said : #18

Thank you so much for all of your help with this situation. I totally appreciate it.... I think it may be fixed:)
Jessica

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: RE: [Question #48883]: I am having problems when I am typing anything the cursor moves and then I am typing in a different word. What I mean is when typing I always have to be careful that I am not typing in another word. IT HAPPENS A LOT.... I have trie
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:51:42 +0000
>
> Your question #48883 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Jim Hutchinson proposed the following answer:
> Nothing we changed should have affected your resolution. However, the
> file you edited does control resolution as well but in a different
> section. I probably should have had you make a backup but I get kind of
> lazy that way. Anyway, you should be able to go in and remove the
> change(s) you made. It was just the one line (unless you bounced around
> and made other changes intentionally or not).
>
> Assuming you make the correct change to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and
> you installed the "gsynaptics" program, and you restarted your desktop
> or rebooted then everything should be as it was before only now you will
> be able to use the "touchpad" program to turn off tapping.
>
> Since I am not there with you I cannot verify that a step was not
> overlooked or that some typo was introduced. Please go back though the
> steps and either verify that everything was done correctly or remove the
> changes and begin again. Before you go any further you should probably
> make a backup.
>
> sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
>
> Don't miss the space between the first xorg.conf and the /etc part of
> the second part.
>
> If you are not sure if you made any unintentional changes you can post
> the whole xorg.conf here but I can't guarantee that I'll know what's out
> of place.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883/+confirm?answer_id=16
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/48883
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

_________________________________________________________________
Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008

Jim Hutchinson (jphutch) said : #19

Is this solved now? If so, please mark it solved by visiting the site. Or if you still have issues feel free to ask.

bardictiger (ginagamba) said : #20

I'm having a similar problem with a jumping cursor in 11.10 but haven't even touched the touchpad on my laptop. Nor can I find a way to turn the touchpad on and off.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask jessica for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.