sata drives with ubuntu not recognized by new Windows xp drive

Asked by wclarowe on 2012-10-15

I have two sata drives with Ubuntu 12.04.
I previously had Windows XP installed on an IDE drive, both sata drives were recognized in My Computer and cound be accessed from Windows XP.
Windows crashed. I formatted the disk and reinstalled from the Windows XP installation disk.
Ubuntu disks still recognize and can access the windows installation.
Windows XP recognizes the 2 Ubuntu sata disks showing them each with a p;rimary and a logical partition.
The drives are not shown in My Computer and are not accessible from WIndows XP.
I also have a separate external hard drive which can be accessed from both Windows and Ubuntu installations.
How do I get Windows XP to recognize the 2 sata disks with ubuntu as was the case with my previous Windows installation>

.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu util-linux Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Warren Hill
Solved:
2012-10-20
Last query:
2012-10-20
Last reply:
2012-10-16
Warren Hill (warren-hill) said : #1

In Ubuntu open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and enter the following command.

fdisk -l

Post the results back here.

i suspect that windows can see all the drives and partitions but does not understand the Linux ones because of the file format used. The output of this command will tell us what is on your system

Is it possible that you installed software like Ext2Fsd (reads ext partitions) on your old WinXP install?

wclarowe (wclarowe-gmail) said : #3

bill@bill-GA-880GA-UD3H:~$ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for bill:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80025280000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156299375 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0006f438

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 140576767 70287360 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 140578814 156297215 7859201 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 140578816 156297215 7859200 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250058268160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488395055 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00011c32

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 2048 472672255 236335104 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 472674302 488394751 7860225 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 472674304 488394751 7860224 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 120.0 GB, 120033041920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234439535 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00005382

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 63 234420479 117210208+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdd: 1000.2 GB, 1000202043392 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121600 cylinders, total 1953519616 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0003f466

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdd1 2048 1953519615 976758784 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
bill@bill-GA-880GA-UD3H:~$

Warren Hill (warren-hill) said : #4

OK,

sda1, sda2 and sda5 are Linux Drives which at Windows can't see
sdb1, sdb2and sdb5 are Linux Drives which at Windows can't see
sdc1 and sdd1 are NTFS drives.

So at the moment windows should see two drives C: and D:

By default windows does not recognise the file format used by Linux. However, it can be made to you must have had some additional software installed to do this such as can be found here:
http://www.ext2fsd.com/

wclarowe (wclarowe-gmail) said : #5

I downloaded as instructed. When I try to open one of the newly identified
drives I get the message, "Drive not formatted. Do you want to format the
drive now?"
Will formatting lose data? Will it change the functionality when I boot
directly to the ubuntu drive?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Warren Hill <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #211242 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Warren Hill proposed the following answer:
> OK,
>
> sda1, sda2 and sda5 are Linux Drives which at Windows can't see
> sdb1, sdb2and sdb5 are Linux Drives which at Windows can't see
> sdc1 and sdd1 are NTFS drives.
>
> So at the moment windows should see two drives C: and D:
>
> By default windows does not recognise the file format used by Linux.
> However, it can be made to you must have had some additional software
> installed to do this such as can be found here:
> http://www.ext2fsd.com/
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

N1ck 7h0m4d4k15 (nicktux) said : #6

On 10/16/2012 09:16 PM, wclarowe wrote:
> Question #211242 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> wclarowe is still having a problem:
> I downloaded as instructed. When I try to open one of the newly identified
> drives I get the message, "Drive not formatted. Do you want to format the
> drive now?"
> Will formatting lose data? Will it change the functionality when I boot
> directly to the ubuntu drive?
>
>

Of course you will lose ALL YOUR DATA. Format = Delete .

wclarowe (wclarowe-gmail) said : #7

It is working. Thank you. I had not started the manager Thank you again.
I have probably spent at least 100 hours trying to fix this. Bless you/

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM, wclarowe <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #211242 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> I downloaded as instructed. When I try to open one of the newly identified
> drives I get the message, "Drive not formatted. Do you want to format the
> drive now?"
> Will formatting lose data? Will it change the functionality when I boot
> directly to the ubuntu drive?
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Warren Hill <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Your question #211242 on Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > Warren Hill proposed the following answer:
> > OK,
> >
> > sda1, sda2 and sda5 are Linux Drives which at Windows can't see
> > sdb1, sdb2and sdb5 are Linux Drives which at Windows can't see
> > sdc1 and sdd1 are NTFS drives.
> >
> > So at the moment windows should see two drives C: and D:
> >
> > By default windows does not recognise the file format used by Linux.
> > However, it can be made to you must have had some additional software
> > installed to do this such as can be found here:
> > http://www.ext2fsd.com/
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> >
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242/+confirm?answer_id=3
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211242
> >
> > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Best Warren Hill (warren-hill) said : #8

Please mark the question solved.

wclarowe (wclarowe-gmail) said : #9

Thanks Warren Hill, that solved my question.