What is the procedure for submitting 'Should be able to' style 'bugs'

Asked by Andrew Bolster on 2011-03-28

With unity in pre-natty flux, and UI issues coming to the fore, I'm unsure as to where to put my 'reports' on issues that aren't quite bugs, and are too late to be blueprints (even though launchpad doesn't track unity blueprints).

I'm thinking of things along the lines of "Power options should be available through unity" (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/743789) and "Unmounting drives should be available through unity" etc, and other such issues that are sitting between unity and 'doing the same stuff that gnome did but prettier'.

So instead of filling the bug tracker with these implementation quirks, I'm asking first :)

Question information

English Edit question
Ubuntu unity Edit question
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
actionparsnip (andrew-woodhead666) said :

I'd submit a bug personally

Revision history for this message
delance (olivier-delance) said :
Revision history for this message
Sam_ (and-sam) said :

> should be available through unity

Gnome apps are still and will be there. It's just another 'panel', 'dash', 'shell' or whatever one may call it, which use different UIs to open them.

Unity won't get menus like Gnome_2, Gnome_3 won't have it either.

Left click on

opens applications. Go to 'System'.

Power options is gnome-power-manager, gnome-power-preferences
Mount etc. is provided by palimpsest, gnome-disk-utility.
Or open apps via terminal or alt+f2.

Revision history for this message
Andrew Bolster (bolster) said :

Sam_ , I don't think you get what I mean; I'm thinking about 'usability', as in if a user gets used to 'super>type what I want to happen', and then major parts of system functionality are missing from that paradigm, then as a community we're missing something. I agree that there are a ton of ways to shutdown / unmount, I just submit that it should also be done from the unity panel / menu / sidebar / input box / or whatever the term is.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Andrew Bolster for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.