a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free

Asked by sumie jenkins on 2012-11-24

i dont know a lot about ubuntu i see everything is manual.

so is there a way to know if i set everything up right like a scanner or something or a bug checker to see

if i have a virus or bug or what ever

please help

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu ubuntu-meta Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2012-11-28
Last reply:
2012-11-29

What do you mean 'everything is manual'?

You can install ClamAV but unless you run a file server withWindows clients, or an email server you will not need antivirus. Its simply not needed.
http://librenix.com/?inode=21

James Musser (jim4305) said : #2

On the desktop look at top left corner for symbol for Dash Home. Click on Dash Home. Type in the word ' scanner' and if all is working ok you will get several choices of a word scanner... as an example. Or type in 'update' to find a Software Update to update your computer. Use Dash Home to find other examples to learn if the system is working ok.

sumie jenkins (sumiejenkins) said : #3

 Thank you for responding i really appreciate it. i am not running 12.04 so i dont have dash home im running 10.04 i tried to update to 12.04 but at the end a box came up 3 times i dont no what it said. well i no a little what it said because i copied it and put it in a browser it came back saying something about graphic configuration
.
 any ways the boxes had no words just empty squares like it did not load all the way. i did down load 12.04 but it made my CD ROM tray not open. i looked for ways to fix it and all i could do was open it through the terminal. so i just went back to 10.04
it seems to work ok. so from 10.04 i can scan my computer to make sure all my drives are working?

another thing i cant seem to figure out how to play a CD.ROM it reads it but wont set it up for me, it just opens the files.

 and i want to down load music but apparently i cant do that except through the terminal and its really heard i need directions step by step please help me thanks if this is to much at one time you can just help me a little every time you get a chance i really would like to run 12.04 but i dont no if i can maybe my computer is to crappy

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:56:03 +0000
>
> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> James Musser posted a new comment:
> On the desktop look at top left corner for symbol for Dash Home. Click
> on Dash Home. Type in the word ' scanner' and if all is working ok you
> will get several choices of a word scanner... as an example. Or type
> in 'update' to find a Software Update to update your computer. Use Dash
> Home to find other examples to learn if the system is working ok.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

James Musser (jim4305) said : #4

Sumie:

I think your problem is using 10.04 and trying to jump to 12.04 all at
once. Try loading 11.10 first and see if you can get that to work. Go
here and read about downloading 11.10:

http://www.muktware.com/2665/how-get-ubuntu-1110

Then if that works I can help go to 12.04.

As an alternative it may be possible to update using Terminal. Type
'update' in Terminal and see what happens.

The 10.04 is way out of date anyway so if you intend to stay with
Ubuntu it is worth getting updated. The web site I gave above talks
about what you need on the computer to go to 11.10.

I can help using Terminal with 10.04 if we need to do that but it
might be best to just start over with a fresh download to Ubuntu
12.04. Do you understand how to do that? Lots of help if you know
where to look.

Get back to me and lets talk about ideas. I have 12.10 and it is good
but not much better than 12.04.

Jim
______________________________________________

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM, sumie jenkins
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> sumie jenkins is still having a problem:
> Thank you for responding i really appreciate it. i am not running 12.04 so i dont have dash home im running 10.04 i tried to update to 12.04 but at the end a box came up 3 times i dont no what it said. well i no a little what it said because i copied it and put it in a browser it came back saying something about graphic configuration
> .
> any ways the boxes had no words just empty squares like it did not load all the way. i did down load 12.04 but it made my CD ROM tray not open. i looked for ways to fix it and all i could do was open it through the terminal. so i just went back to 10.04
> it seems to work ok. so from 10.04 i can scan my computer to make sure all my drives are working?
>
> another thing i cant seem to figure out how to play a CD.ROM it
> reads it but wont set it up for me, it just opens the files.
>
> and i want to down load music but apparently i cant do that except
> through the terminal and its really heard i need directions step by step
> please help me thanks if this is to much at one time you can just help
> me a little every time you get a chance i really would like to run 12.04
> but i dont no if i can maybe my computer is to crappy
>
>> To: <email address hidden>
>> From: <email address hidden>
>> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
>> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:56:03 +0000
>>
>> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>>
>> James Musser posted a new comment:
>> On the desktop look at top left corner for symbol for Dash Home. Click
>> on Dash Home. Type in the word ' scanner' and if all is working ok you
>> will get several choices of a word scanner... as an example. Or type
>> in 'update' to find a Software Update to update your computer. Use Dash
>> Home to find other examples to learn if the system is working ok.
>>
>> --
>> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.

sumie jenkins (sumiejenkins) said : #5

OK ILL TRY TOMORROW THANKS

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:56:06 +0000
>
> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> James Musser proposed the following answer:
> Sumie:
>
> I think your problem is using 10.04 and trying to jump to 12.04 all at
> once. Try loading 11.10 first and see if you can get that to work. Go
> here and read about downloading 11.10:
>
> http://www.muktware.com/2665/how-get-ubuntu-1110
>
> Then if that works I can help go to 12.04.
>
> As an alternative it may be possible to update using Terminal. Type
> 'update' in Terminal and see what happens.
>
> The 10.04 is way out of date anyway so if you intend to stay with
> Ubuntu it is worth getting updated. The web site I gave above talks
> about what you need on the computer to go to 11.10.
>
> I can help using Terminal with 10.04 if we need to do that but it
> might be best to just start over with a fresh download to Ubuntu
> 12.04. Do you understand how to do that? Lots of help if you know
> where to look.
>
> Get back to me and lets talk about ideas. I have 12.10 and it is good
> but not much better than 12.04.
>
> Jim
> ______________________________________________
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM, sumie jenkins
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
> >
> > Status: Answered => Open
> >
> > sumie jenkins is still having a problem:
> > Thank you for responding i really appreciate it. i am not running 12.04 so i dont have dash home im running 10.04 i tried to update to 12.04 but at the end a box came up 3 times i dont no what it said. well i no a little what it said because i copied it and put it in a browser it came back saying something about graphic configuration
> > .
> > any ways the boxes had no words just empty squares like it did not load all the way. i did down load 12.04 but it made my CD ROM tray not open. i looked for ways to fix it and all i could do was open it through the terminal. so i just went back to 10.04
> > it seems to work ok. so from 10.04 i can scan my computer to make sure all my drives are working?
> >
> > another thing i cant seem to figure out how to play a CD.ROM it
> > reads it but wont set it up for me, it just opens the files.
> >
> > and i want to down load music but apparently i cant do that except
> > through the terminal and its really heard i need directions step by step
> > please help me thanks if this is to much at one time you can just help
> > me a little every time you get a chance i really would like to run 12.04
> > but i dont no if i can maybe my computer is to crappy
> >
> >> To: <email address hidden>
> >> From: <email address hidden>
> >> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> >> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:56:03 +0000
> >>
> >> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> >> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
> >>
> >> James Musser posted a new comment:
> >> On the desktop look at top left corner for symbol for Dash Home. Click
> >> on Dash Home. Type in the word ' scanner' and if all is working ok you
> >> will get several choices of a word scanner... as an example. Or type
> >> in 'update' to find a Software Update to update your computer. Use Dash
> >> Home to find other examples to learn if the system is working ok.
> >>
> >> --
> >> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >
> > --
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

sumie jenkins (sumiejenkins) said : #6

4 hours no luck i get an error

Error during update

A problem occurred during the update. This is usually some sort of
network problem, please check your network connection and retry.

W:Failed to fetch
http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
404 Not Found
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or
old ones used instead.

then it says x to terminate r to resurrect it wont let me update and so i tried to create a disk on dvd or cd but my computer wont read that i have a blank cd in my only choice now seems to be to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 because i upgraded to 10.10 and now it wont let me go any further what do you think i wish i could download off the enter net without a disc

ry
> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 01:15:51 +0000
>
> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> OK ILL TRY TOMORROW THANKS
>
>
> > To: <email address hidden>
> > From: <email address hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:56:06 +0000
> >
> > Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
> >
> > Status: Open => Answered
> >
> > James Musser proposed the following answer:
> > Sumie:
> >
> > I think your problem is using 10.04 and trying to jump to 12.04 all at
> > once. Try loading 11.10 first and see if you can get that to work. Go
> > here and read about downloading 11.10:
> >
> > http://www.muktware.com/2665/how-get-ubuntu-1110
> >
> > Then if that works I can help go to 12.04.
> >
> > As an alternative it may be possible to update using Terminal. Type
> > 'update' in Terminal and see what happens.
> >
> > The 10.04 is way out of date anyway so if you intend to stay with
> > Ubuntu it is worth getting updated. The web site I gave above talks
> > about what you need on the computer to go to 11.10.
> >
> > I can help using Terminal with 10.04 if we need to do that but it
> > might be best to just start over with a fresh download to Ubuntu
> > 12.04. Do you understand how to do that? Lots of help if you know
> > where to look.
> >
> > Get back to me and lets talk about ideas. I have 12.10 and it is good
> > but not much better than 12.04.
> >
> > Jim
> > ______________________________________________
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM, sumie jenkins
> > <email address hidden> wrote:
> > > Question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
> > >
> > > Status: Answered => Open
> > >
> > > sumie jenkins is still having a problem:
> > > Thank you for responding i really appreciate it. i am not running 12.04 so i dont have dash home im running 10.04 i tried to update to 12.04 but at the end a box came up 3 times i dont no what it said. well i no a little what it said because i copied it and put it in a browser it came back saying something about graphic configuration
> > > .
> > > any ways the boxes had no words just empty squares like it did not load all the way. i did down load 12.04 but it made my CD ROM tray not open. i looked for ways to fix it and all i could do was open it through the terminal. so i just went back to 10.04
> > > it seems to work ok. so from 10.04 i can scan my computer to make sure all my drives are working?
> > >
> > > another thing i cant seem to figure out how to play a CD.ROM it
> > > reads it but wont set it up for me, it just opens the files.
> > >
> > > and i want to down load music but apparently i cant do that except
> > > through the terminal and its really heard i need directions step by step
> > > please help me thanks if this is to much at one time you can just help
> > > me a little every time you get a chance i really would like to run 12.04
> > > but i dont no if i can maybe my computer is to crappy
> > >
> > >> To: <email address hidden>
> > >> From: <email address hidden>
> > >> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> > >> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:56:03 +0000
> > >>
> > >> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> > >> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
> > >>
> > >> James Musser posted a new comment:
> > >> On the desktop look at top left corner for symbol for Dash Home. Click
> > >> on Dash Home. Type in the word ' scanner' and if all is working ok you
> > >> will get several choices of a word scanner... as an example. Or type
> > >> in 'update' to find a Software Update to update your computer. Use Dash
> > >> Home to find other examples to learn if the system is working ok.
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> > >
> > > --
> > > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > > subscriber of the question.
> >
> > --
> > If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> > know that it is solved:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102/+confirm?answer_id=3
> >
> > If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> > following page to enter your feedback:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
> >
> > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Natty is EOL, so you will get that. There are no sources for Natty

sumie jenkins (sumiejenkins) said : #8

then why did you say to do it to begin with i am so confused i wish i could just down load off the Internet is there a way to do it with out a disc

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #215102]: a way to tell if ubuntu is running like it should or a scanner or something free
> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:21:21 +0000
>
> Your question #215102 on ubuntu-meta in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Natty is EOL, so you will get that. There are no sources for Natty
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102/+confirm?answer_id=6
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+question/215102
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

James Musser (jim4305) said : #9

Backup your important data and do a fresh installation of Ubuntu. (version that you want).

This is the only way to revert back to the older release of Ubuntu.

Depending on what your system is it may be that Xubuntu or Lubuntu would be a better choice particularly if you are using older, less powerful hardware.

I also suggest you run:

sudo apt-get clean

Which can free up lots of space. Once you have finished, run:

reboot

and it should mount ok.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask sumie jenkins for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.