Uploading 14.04

Asked by Margaret Mackintosh on 2014-04-24

Hi,

Yesterday around 3 PM I started downloading Ubuntu 14.04 using the alternate Bit Torrent method. Used it before when I upgraded to 12.04 a while back. The download was done in a few hours but the upload is still going and it has been at least 22 hours since it started. How many GB's is 14.04? This is the slowest ever, almost a full day and still not done. What can I do to speed it up?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu ubuntu-docs Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2014-04-24
Last query:
2014-04-24
Last reply:
2014-04-24

The upload will never stop. As long as the torrent client is connected you will continue to seed the file.

Warren Hill (warren-hill) said : #2

Downloading is you getting the file. Uploading is you sending the file to someone else.

Bit Torrent is a peer to peer system. You are currently acting as a server for others.

If its finished downloading your done and you can close it.

All that will happen is that someone will stop downloading from you and will find another server to continue the download.

Hi,

Okay. How do I shut the torrent client off?

Margaret

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #247586]: Uploading 14.04
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:11:52 +0000
>
> Your question #247586 on ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> The upload will never stop. As long as the torrent client is connected
> you will continue to seed the file.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Hi again,

Should I just click on quit? Or will that mess things up?

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #247586]: Uploading 14.04
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:11:52 +0000
>
> Your question #247586 on ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> The upload will never stop. As long as the torrent client is connected
> you will continue to seed the file.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

If you close the torrent client you will cease to upload but if you have seeded back enough then this is fine.

Will Ubuntu 14.04 still be downloaded if I do this?

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #247586]: Uploading 14.04
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:21:23 +0000
>
> Your question #247586 on ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> If you close the torrent client you will cease to upload but if you have
> seeded back enough then this is fine.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586/+confirm?answer_id=4
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

If you have the file fully downloaded then yes. Just close the client

I checked my downloads and it is there but only 38.2 KB. Is that all the bigger it is?

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #247586]: Uploading 14.04
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:31:50 +0000
>
> Your question #247586 on ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> If you have the file fully downloaded then yes. Just close the client
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586/+confirm?answer_id=6
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Also just checked my Home Directory Download file and it shows that it is downloaded.

Margaret

> To: <email address hidden>
> From: <email address hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Question #247586]: Uploading 14.04
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:31:50 +0000
>
> Your question #247586 on ubuntu-docs in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> If you have the file fully downloaded then yes. Just close the client
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586/+confirm?answer_id=6
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+question/247586
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Its a few hundred megabytes in size. You can download it using this URL:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso

I assume you want 32bit, or for 64bit:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso

I stopped uploading. I did not realize I was transferring files. Now I know. Appreciate all the answers and help. I am clicking on the link for 32 bit that actionparsnip (andrew) provided, but I also thank everyone else also.

Margaret

Thanks actionparsnip, that solved my question.

Hi,

I know my question is solved. Just tried to ask a question on Launchpad after logging in but it came up with ERROR messages. So I thought I would ask you. When I checked DETAILS, it shows that I still have Ubuntu 13.10... When I click on what used to be called 'Update Manager', it's questions concerns Trusty 14.04 and reads like that is actually what is installed instead of 13.10. I am very confused about this. Do you think I do have 14.04 and it just reads 13.10 or do I still need to upgrade to 14.04?

What shows up on my monitor is usually in such small print, I have trouble reading it. How do I truly find out what version of Ubuntu is installed on my laptop?

Margaret