problem in transmission bit torrent client. it is unable to download any file

Asked by abhiraj on 2011-01-11

I am able to get everything in my net alright except itis unable to download any file from transmission in ubuntu 10.4. i am new to ubuntu and i donot know much about it. also i am using a proxy which might be creating some error

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu transmission Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
Last reply:
Revision history for this message
abhiraj (abhi266raj) said :
#1

please help

Revision history for this message
actionparsnip (andrew-woodhead666) said :
#2

Do you have access to the folder transmission is downloading to?
Does you ISP have a system in place to strangle torrents?

Revision history for this message
abhiraj (abhi266raj) said :
#3

What is strangle torrent?????

Yes i have access to folder torrent is downloading to and I am able to download torrent file
but its download is not starting in transmission

Revision history for this message
actionparsnip (andrew-woodhead666) said :
#4

Strangling torrents is what some ISPs do to torrents as they don't like users using them due to some legal issues with some torrents.

Can you give the output of:

ls -la /path/to/fiolder

change /path/to/folder with the path to the place you download to (default is /home/$USER/Downloads)

Thanks

Revision history for this message
abhiraj (abhi266raj) said :
#5

drwxr-xr-x 2 abhiraj abhiraj 4096 2011-01-12 18:18 .
drwxr-xr-x 34 abhiraj abhiraj 4096 2011-01-12 18:30 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 abhiraj abhiraj 2858874 2011-01-12 18:18 code2010.pdf

Revision history for this message
abhiraj (abhi266raj) said :
#6

drwxr-xr-x 2 abhiraj abhiraj 4096 2011-01-12 18:18 .
drwxr-xr-x 34 abhiraj abhiraj 4096 2011-01-12 18:30 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 abhiraj abhiraj 2858874 2011-01-12 18:18 code2010.pdf

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #141048 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/141048
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested for more information:
> Strangling torrents is what some ISPs do to torrents as they don't like
> users using them due to some legal issues with some torrents.
>
> Can you give the output of:
>
> ls -la /path/to/fiolder
>
> change /path/to/folder with the path to the place you download to
> (default is /home/$USER/Downloads)
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/141048
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
Charles Kerr (charlesk) said :
#7

One common problem is that people attempt to download a torrent where there are no seeds.

So the first thing to test is downloading a torrent that you know is well-seeded, such as an ubuntu iso torrent.

Revision history for this message
actionparsnip (andrew-woodhead666) said :
#8

well you have full access to the folder. What happens when you add a torrent exactly?

Revision history for this message
abhiraj (abhi266raj) said :
#9

the download is on try to start at 0% for too long

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #141048 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/141048
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested for more information:
> well you have full access to the folder. What happens when you add a
> torrent exactly?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/141048
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Revision history for this message
actionparsnip (andrew-woodhead666) said :
#10

You may need to port forward on your router if it doesn't support upnp

Revision history for this message
Charles Kerr (charlesk) said :
#11

Again, the first thing to try is downloading a torrent that you know is well-seeded, such as an ubuntu iso torrent.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask abhiraj for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.