transmissions loads up about fifty windows when i turn on my laptop

Asked by tom mccann on 2011-01-03

When i power up my laptop my torrent client [transmission 2.04] loads up about fifty windows which i have to close all but one, i am using Ubuntu 10.10, i've tried to get help in transmission site with no success i am a noob,newbie, and hope i'm not being too big of an idiot but please any help would be most appreciated, this problem is actually growing and i'm afraid the amount of windows that loaded up will eventually mess up my laptop

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu transmission Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Sam_
Solved:
2011-01-10
Last query:
2011-01-10
Last reply:
2011-01-08
Sam_ (and-sam) said : #1

In case disable 'automatically remember running apps' in
system preferences -> startup applications -> options

Or open a terminal.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnomeTerminal

and kill the process:
killall transmission

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/en/man1/killall.1.html

Just in case of hibernation, the image of last session is loaded to desktop, so any open windows from last session are displayed.

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #2

I unchecked automatically remember running apps, they still loaded up, i
used the command it said no process found, will attach screenshot thank you
for taking the time to try and help me.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Samantha (aka Sam) <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Samantha (aka Sam) proposed the following answer:
> In case disable 'automatically remember running apps' in
> system preferences -> startup applications -> options
>
> Or open a terminal.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnomeTerminal
>
> and kill the process:
> killall transmission
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/en/man1/killall.1.html
>
>
> Just in case of hibernation, the image of last session is loaded to
> desktop, so any open windows from last session are displayed.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Sam_ (and-sam) said : #3

Review preferences of transmission. Maybe there're unfinished down-uploads which try to reconnect.
Take a look in
system administration -> system monitor -> processes

if it shows transmission processes in 'waiting channel' and try to kill them via right click.

Regarding saved sessions you may need to delete related files there
~/.config/gnome-session/saved-session

Charles Kerr (charlesk) said : #4

What do the windows say? Have you made a screenshot yet?

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #5

here is screenshot i closed some of the windows to show icons in bottom bar,
it's normally just dots that show there.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM, charles <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> charles requested for more information:
> What do the windows say? Have you made a screenshot yet?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #6

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM, tom mccann <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> here is screenshot i closed some of the windows to show icons in bottom
> bar,
> it's normally just dots that show there.
>
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM, charles <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> >
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
> >
> > charles requested for more information:
> > What do the windows say? Have you made a screenshot yet?
> >
> > --
> > To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> > this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> >
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
> >
> > You received this question notification because you are a direct
> > subscriber of the question.
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Charles Kerr (charlesk) said : #7

...no screenshot, then?

Sam_ (and-sam) said : #8

It isn't possible to attach screenshots in LP 'answers'. You need to upload it to your prefered website and post the link here.

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #9

Thank you Sam, http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/672/BaUNQ6Vi.png is this ok?

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Samantha (aka Sam) <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> Samantha (aka Sam) posted a new comment:
> It isn't possible to attach screenshots in LP 'answers'. You need to
> upload it to your prefered website and post the link here.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Sam_ (and-sam) said : #10

35 windows containing all the same torrents and are paused?
Can't you just remove them?
Did you look in preferences?
<unfinished down-uploads which try (wait) to reconnect>

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #11

Yes Sam i can remove them, but it is quite annoying 50+ loading up everytime
i turn on my laptop.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Samantha (aka Sam) <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Samantha (aka Sam) requested for more information:
> 35 windows containing all the same torrents and are paused?
> Can't you just remove them?
> Did you look in preferences?
> <unfinished down-uploads which try (wait) to reconnect>
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Best Sam_ (and-sam) said : #12

Not sure if this is of help then.
Transmission can be used via webinterface without GUI with transmission-daemon.
URL would be: http://ip_of_server:rpc-port/transmission/web/

Configuration can be made through .config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
Before editing config file transmission service needs to be stopped.
sudo service transmission-daemon stop

Due to security it should be restarted with user permissions only.
transmission-daemon

Otherwise this file has to be edited.
/etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Reference.
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #13

Thanks Samantha (aka Sam), that solved my question.

tom mccann (tommccann4) said : #14

This is just a wee bit complicated for me Sam, I'll just carry on closing
them one by one and mark this solved. I thank you very much for the time you
spent on this, it's appreciated.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Samantha (aka Sam) <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #139994 on transmission in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Samantha (aka Sam) proposed the following answer:
> Not sure if this is of help then.
> Transmission can be used via webinterface without GUI with
> transmission-daemon.
> URL would be: http://ip_of_server:rpc-port/transmission/web/
>
> Configuration can be made through .config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
> Before editing config file transmission service needs to be stopped.
> sudo service transmission-daemon stop
>
> Due to security it should be restarted with user permissions only.
> transmission-daemon
>
> Otherwise this file has to be edited.
> /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
>
> Reference.
> https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994/+confirm?answer_id=11
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/transmission/+question/139994
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>