Sound juicer won't play CD. Two error messages.

Asked by Rich Andrews on 2006-10-11

Sound Juicer won't play CD. Two Error messages: 1. Reason: could not get/set settings from/on resource 2. Internal data flow error.
All I knew to try was verify that system recognizes sound card and dvd-rom. To the best of my knowledge both are recognized.

Thanks

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu sound-juicer Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Chris Rose
Solved:
2006-10-31
Last query:
2006-10-31
Last reply:
2006-10-30
Chris Rose (chris-vault5) said : #1

I've never used sound juicer so this might not be very helpful. 'Internal data flow error' is something I've had before importing tunes into Rhythmbox which makes me think its from GStreamer. One thing to investigate might be if you have plugins that your trying to use that aren't installed (gstreamer0.10-plugins-*)?

Try opening a Terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal) and type the following command:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer-alsa

It should fix your output issue with sound juicer.

If these comments solved your problem, please consider closing this request as answered. You can find useful information on managing your support requests here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests

If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll keep working on them.

Thanks-

Jim Jones

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #3

Chris,
   Thanks for the help. I am following that line of inquiry but I am
too new to Ubuntu to do so rapidly. I take little steps and learn as I go.

Richard

Chris Rose wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> I've never used sound juicer so this might not be very helpful. 'Internal data flow error' is something I've had before importing tunes into Rhythmbox which makes me think its from GStreamer. One thing to investigate might be if you have plugins that your trying to use that aren't installed (gstreamer0.10-plugins-*)?
>
>
>
>

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #4

Jim:
    I tried to follow your directions. After I entered the command in
terminal mode and pressed enter it kept asking for my password. It
would not let me enter it though. I typed it several times but nothing
appeared on the screen.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Try opening a Terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal) and type the following command:
>
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer-alsa
>
> It should fix your output issue with sound juicer.
>
> If these comments solved your problem, please consider closing this request as answered. You can find useful information on managing your support requests here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests
>
> If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll keep working on them.
>
> Thanks-
>
> Jim Jones
>
>
>
>
>

Richard-

When it asks for your password, make sure to enter the password that you use to login to Ubuntu with. When you are done typing it, hit enter.

What do you see when you do this?

Jim Jones

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #6

Jim,
    The problem is that it will not accept any password. I type but
nothing appears on the screen, no matter what I type. I get a line
with *password:* followed by flashing cursor.
    When I first bring up terminal I get the box with my
username@username- desktop:-$. I then type the command you gave me and
get the password: flashing cursor. Is this normal?
    I had tried other recommended fixes, such as using easyubuntu to get
gstreamer and wonder if I may have made things worse.

Thanks,

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Richard-
>
> When it asks for your password, make sure to enter the password that you use to login to Ubuntu with. When you are done typing it, hit enter.
>
> What do you see when you do this?
>
> Jim Jones
>
>
>
>

Chris Rose (chris-vault5) said : #7

Hi,

Thats quite normal -- the password is not displayed so that people can't read it over your shoulder, but it is still entered.

Chris

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #8

Jim,
    After entering the command line and pressing enter I got:
Reading package list...Done
Building dependency tree...Done
E: Couldn't find package gstreamer-alsa

Looks like gstreamer is absent.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Richard-
>
> When it asks for your password, make sure to enter the password that you use to login to Ubuntu with. When you are done typing it, hit enter.
>
> What do you see when you do this?
>
> Jim Jones
>
>
>
>

As for the password, yes it is normal for it not to be echoed back while typing. This is a security feature to prevent someone from looking over your should and grabbing your password (or even knowing how long it is). Just type it and hit enter.

I am sorry about the package installation. I didn't tell you the right one.

try:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa

See if that fixes your problem.

Jim

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #10

Jim,
    I tried the last command line you sent and it was accepted but
nothing changed, neither sound juicer nor rhythmbox would play the CD.
    Response to entering command was:
gstreamer0.10-alsa is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> As for the password, yes it is normal for it not to be echoed back while typing. This is a security feature to prevent someone from looking over your should and grabbing your password (or even knowing how long it is). Just type it and hit enter.
>
> I am sorry about the package installation. I didn't tell you the right one.
>
> try:
>
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa
>
> See if that fixes your problem.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
>

Does your system play any sounds? For instance, does it play the startup sound when your window manager starts?

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #12

Jim,
    Yes it does make the system sounds, such as startup and shut down.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Does your system play any sounds? For instance, does it play the startup sound when your window manager starts?
>
>
>
>

Do you get a track listing in sound juicer?

I tried putting a CD in my machine with both a DVD and also a CD-R drive. For some reason, the DVD wouldn't read the CD. No track listing... nothing.

However, when I put the CD in the CD-R and used the Sound Juicer Preferences (Applications --> Sound & Video --> Sound Juicer --> Edit --> Preferences --> CD Drive) to change the Device to the appropriate drive, I got a track listing and then I could play (or extract) the music.

Do you have more than one drive on your system? If so, have you tried the other one?

Jim

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #14

Jim,
    I have one DVD-Rom only. Yes I can get the CD tracks in either
Sound Juicer or Rhythmbox but neither will play them.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Do you get a track listing in sound juicer?
>
> I tried putting a CD in my machine with both a DVD and also a CD-R drive. For some reason, the DVD wouldn't read the CD. No track listing... nothing.
>
> However, when I put the CD in the CD-R and used the Sound Juicer Preferences (Applications --> Sound & Video --> Sound Juicer --> Edit --> Preferences --> CD Drive) to change the Device to the appropriate drive, I got a track listing and then I could play (or extract) the music.
>
> Do you have more than one drive on your system? If so, have you tried the other one?
>
> Jim
>
>
>
>

mezhaka (mezhaka) said : #15

hello gentlemen, i've got the same problem here: the rhytmbox doesn't play anything saying "internaldata flow error". i would gratefull for any help.

mezhaka (mezhaka) said : #16

there's a bug report here: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.bugs.general/121895 which states that the problem arises because of the long playlists (which is my case), but it also states that:

This problem indeed occurs only when you enable "Watch my library for
new files" in the preferences.

(that's not my case)

the fact that the gxine player can't play anything either makes me think that there's something else than bug in player...

Did you also use the easyubuntu scripts?

I didn't. I just used the Restricted Formats Wiki to install all the
multimedia applications. I am wondering if this is the problem, because I
can't seem to replicate the error. I have a feeling that perhaps the
easyubuntu script might have created some mismatched packages.... just a
guess though.

I had a similar problem when I was running 5.10 and used one of those
scripts. It worked for a time, but then things started to get out of whack.

Jim Jones

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #18

Jim:
    Do you think it a good idea to install Ubuntu again if there is a
possibility that easyubuntu may aggravate the problem? I am new to
Ubuntu and I do not have anything I am afraid of loosing.

Richard

Hi, Richard-

I think reinstalling is worth a shot. It might not fix the problem, but I can't see why the media players aren't working, but the system sounds are. Very puzzling.

When you are done, use the Restricted Formats wiki page as a guide to installing the multi-media components. Make sure to follow the links in the Before You Start Section as they can be very helpful. The page is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

When it says to install the packages, use the Terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type:

sudo apt-get install <package name as listed on the Restricted Formats page>

So when it says to install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, you would type:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

Repeat the above step with each package. I would read the page over first just to make sure you have a clear idea of what is going on before beginning.

When you are all done, it should work.

If these comments solved your problem, please consider closing this request as answered. You can find useful information on managing your support requests here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests

If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll keep working on them.

Thanks-

Jim Jones

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #20

Jim:
    I reinstalled Ubuntu and it did not help the problem and actually
caused another. I can not get Thunderbird to download and install like
it did the first time. I will keep trying on both counts.

Richard

Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Hi, Richard-
>
> I think reinstalling is worth a shot. It might not fix the problem, but I can't see why the media players aren't working, but the system sounds are. Very puzzling.
>
> When you are done, use the Restricted Formats wiki page as a guide to installing the multi-media components. Make sure to follow the links in the Before You Start Section as they can be very helpful. The page is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
>
> When it says to install the packages, use the Terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and type:
>
> sudo apt-get install <package name as listed on the Restricted Formats page>
>
> So when it says to install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, you would type:
>
> sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
>
> Repeat the above step with each package. I would read the page over first just to make sure you have a clear idea of what is going on before beginning.
>
> When you are all done, it should work.
>
> If these comments solved your problem, please consider closing this request as answered. You can find useful information on managing your support requests here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests
>
> If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll keep working on them.
>
> Thanks-
>
> Jim Jones
>
>
>
>
>

bgruber (bgruber) said : #21

i would try playing with the audio output setting for gstreamer. In edgy, go to the System menu->Preferences->Sound. Try playing with the value for Music and Movies sound playback. There's a test button to see if your current setting works.

In Dapper, this same setting is (I believe) in System->Preferences->Multimedia Systems Selector. Here you want to try different values for the Default sink output.

Andrew Banks (banksand) said : #22

I have this same problem, where system sounds play but neither CDs nor sample video and audio files do not.

I use Dapper and have gstreamer-0.10-alsa.

Maybe I need to change the setting for the sound card. The Device Manager says I have an "Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2," but I really have a "Yamaha 724 DS-1."

Andrew Banks (banksand) said : #23

I fixed it! On the command line, enter:

gstreamer-properties

A window for the Multimedia Systems Selector pops up. For "Default Output Plugin", change it to "ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon."

Now CDs play!

Rich,

If these comments solved your problem, please consider closing this request as answered. You can find useful information on managing your support requests here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests

If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll keep working on them.

Thanks-

Jim Jones

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #25

Jim,
 Andrew Banks suggestion did the trick. I have tried to contact him and
you but my main Internet computer, windows based, has a bug and I can
not connect to the Internet. Ubuntu to the rescue!
 Thanks for all the help and please close my support request. I will
follow the enclosed link too.

Thanks,

Richard

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 22:33 +0000, Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Rich,
>
> If these comments solved your problem, please consider closing this request as answered. You can find useful information on managing your support requests here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests
>
> If you are still having problems, let us know and we'll keep working on them.
>
> Thanks-
>
> Jim Jones
>

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #26

Problem solved using Andrew Banks suggestion.

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #27

Jim,
 I tried to close my support request and I believe I was successful.
The credit was given to Chris rather than Andrew and I was not able to
correct that oversight. How can I correct that?

Richard

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 22:33 +0000, Jim Jones wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests

Thanks Rich.

That's a bug in Launchpad. It sets the answer to whoever was the first to
respond. My understanding is that a new update will allow you to pick who
actually answered your problem.

It is better to mark the support request as answered, even if by the wrong
person, as it gives a clue to others searching the support database as to
possible solutions to their problems as well.

Good luck. Thanks for closing the ticket. There are many that stay open
indefinitely.

Jim Jones

On 10/30/06, Rich Andrews <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Jim,
> I tried to close my support request and I believe I was
> successful.
> The credit was given to Chris rather than Andrew and I was not able to
> correct that oversight. How can I correct that?
>
> Richard
>
>
>
>
>
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 22:33 +0000, Jim Jones wrote:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests
>
>

--
Use Ubuntu Linux: The Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com

Tech tips, tricks and tools that I have discovered or created
http://linuxactivist.blogspot.com

Rich Andrews (rwa) said : #29

Ok! Thanks again.

Richard

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 20:30 +0000, Jim Jones wrote:
> Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
>
> Comment:
> Thanks Rich.
>
> That's a bug in Launchpad. It sets the answer to whoever was the first to
> respond. My understanding is that a new update will allow you to pick who
> actually answered your problem.
>
> It is better to mark the support request as answered, even if by the wrong
> person, as it gives a clue to others searching the support database as to
> possible solutions to their problems as well.
>
> Good luck. Thanks for closing the ticket. There are many that stay open
> indefinitely.
>
> Jim Jones
>
> On 10/30/06, Rich Andrews <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Support request #2046 on Ubuntu changed:
> > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+ticket/2046
> >
> > Comment:
> > Jim,
> > I tried to close my support request and I believe I was
> > successful.
> > The credit was given to Chris rather than Andrew and I was not able to
> > correct that oversight. How can I correct that?
> >
> > Richard
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 22:33 +0000, Jim Jones wrote:
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests
> >
> >
>
>

bobnovak (rfrannovak) said : #30

I had the same problem, and Andrew's solution worked for me!

One suggestion regarding the way these solutions are posted here: it would make more sense to post the solution near the TOP of the page. Having to read through dozens of posts about what DOESN'T work is confusing to the average reader. I searched through various forums for over an hour before finding this solution. Since the problem also affects Rhythmbox, you might also consider posting it in a forum regarding Rhythmbox.