install scanner brother dcp-j315w

Asked by Phil on 2012-10-28

I have tried the solutions from the Brother's site as well as those I found with Google to no avail.
The printer works but not the scanner.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu simple-scan Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2012-10-29
Last query:
2012-10-29
Last reply:
2012-10-29
michael (yellupcm-gmail) said : #1

Which Ubuntu Software Center scanner program are you using? Type scanning into search box.

Did you grab the driver from the Brother site? They make deb files of drivers for their devices.....

Phil (lepeyrol) said : #3

2012/10/29 marcobra (Marco Braida) <email address hidden>

> Your question #212529 on simple-scan in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> Project: Ubuntu => simple-scan in Ubuntu
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>
I have tried Simple Scan, XSane Image Scanning Program and Scanner utility.
I have installed the drivers from the Brother site.
The printer works but not the scanner.

Can you give the output of:

lsb_release -a; uname -a; dpkg -l | grep brscan

Thanks

Phil (lepeyrol) said : #5

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise
Linux phil-WorkPro-MyPC-DC-Series 3.2.0-32-generic-pae #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed
Sep 26 21:54:23 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
ii brscan-skey
0.2.4-0 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii brscan3
0.2.11-4 Brother Scanner Driver

2012/10/29 actionparsnip <email address hidden>

> Your question #212529 on simple-scan in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Can you give the output of:
>
> lsb_release -a; uname -a; dpkg -l | grep brscan
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

What is the output of:

lsusb

Thanks

Phil (lepeyrol) said : #7

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bc2:3300 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:0254 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c52e Logitech, Inc.

2012/10/29 actionparsnip <email address hidden>

> Your question #212529 on simple-scan in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> What is the output of:
>
> lsusb
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Bit of a punt but run:

gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

Somewhere in the middle (position is unimportant but make it after lines like:

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4100C

and so forth. add the 2 lines:

# Brother DCP-J315w
SYSFS{idVendor}==" 04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0254", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Save the new file, close gedit and reboot

Then try and use the scanner as expected.

Phil (lepeyrol) said : #9

Xsane Image scanning program says :
Failed to open device 'brother3:bus4;dev1':invalid argument.

2012/10/29 actionparsnip <email address hidden>

> Your question #212529 on simple-scan in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Bit of a punt but run:
>
> gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
>
> Somewhere in the middle (position is unimportant but make it after lines
> like:
>
> # Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4100C
>
> and so forth. add the 2 lines:
>
> # Brother DCP-J315w
> SYSFS{idVendor}==" 04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0254", MODE="0664",
> GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
>
> Save the new file, close gedit and reboot
>
> Then try and use the scanner as expected.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529/+confirm?answer_id=7
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Try:

gksudo simple-scan

See if that works

Phil (lepeyrol) said : #11

Problem solved.
This works from the terminal, whereas the scanner does not work from the
icon.
Also, there is an extra menu bar showing "Document, Page, Help" which does
not appear when I use the icon to launch the program.
In the second line, I removed the space in front of 04f9 :
# Brother DCP-J315w
SYSFS{idVendor}==" 04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0254", MODE="0664",
GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Thanks for your help.

2012/10/29 actionparsnip <email address hidden>

> Your question #212529 on simple-scan in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
> Try:
>
> gksudo simple-scan
>
> See if that works
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529/+confirm?answer_id=9
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/simple-scan/+question/212529
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Phil (lepeyrol) said : #12

Thanks actionparsnip, that solved my question.