Sign In/on to my Gateway Computer

Asked by Patrick Hammond on 2011-09-23

I've purchased an older Gateway Laptop Computer but failed to get the previous owners log in code to sign into the computer. I've delete his contact information and have no recourse to contact him.

I'm told that I would have to get a download to just basically start as a new user to get on/into the system. Basically, I'm starting from the begining as if I was the orginal owner of the unit.

What would be the information that you would need to provide me with the assistance I'm requesting? i.e. model/serial numbers?

Thanks....best regards,
Patrick

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu shadow Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2011-09-23
Last reply:
2011-09-24
marcus aurelius (adbiz) said : #1

what happens when you start the computer? are you required to enter a password?
what type of operating system is on the computer? is it windoze? it is ubuntu?

Patrick Hammond (ptrckhammond) said : #2

Hey Marcus,

Yes, I'm required to enter a password under his name. i.e Marcus
Aurelius....then password that you would have used to gain access. Yes, it
does have window on it. I took it to a Best Buy Geek and he was the one
that told me about contacting Ubuntu to ask for the download to gain access
to the unit.

Let me know if you need more specfics....

Best regard,
Patrick

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM, marcus aurelius <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #172073 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/172073
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> marcus aurelius requested more information:
> what happens when you start the computer? are you required to enter a
> password?
> what type of operating system is on the computer? is it windoze? it is
> ubuntu?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/172073
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Hold shift at boot, select recovery mode then select root. Then run:

cd /home; ls

You can now see the available usernames (lost+found isn't a username, this will appear if /home is on its own partition and can be ignored). You can now run:

passwd foo

change foo to the username. Eg:

passwd andy

and then set the password and run:

reboot

You can now login as foo with the password you set, use the same password when you use sudo and gksudo too

Patrick Hammond (ptrckhammond) said : #4

Okay...here we go!!

I hold the shift at boot, selected recovery mode then selected root.

But it prompts me for;

1)No working leases in persistent database - sleeping
2)root@alexbires-laptop:~#
3)bash:cd/home;IS: No such file directory IS command not found.

I seem to can't get to the next point of running cd/home; IS

So, I still need an answer.

Thank you
Patrick

The command you need to type is the LOWER of:

CD /HOME/; LS

Patrick Hammond (ptrckhammond) said : #6

Okay Marco,

I'm now getting the following in the appering order

alex alexbires
root@alexbires-laptop:/home#(cursor is flashing waiting) all lower caps more
than once entered.

and i have type just as you've said but spaced in between so it looks
like cd /home/; ls (or) cd/home/;is(with no space between colon and ls) all
lower caps more than once entered.

Your previous instructions where cd /home; ls (I notice there was not a /
after home just ; and I tried it that a way too. But currently, I entering
cd(space) then /home ;/(space) then ls. No avail :(

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM, marcobra (Marco Braida) <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #172073 on shadow in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+question/172073
>
> marcobra (Marco Braida) posted a new comment:
> The command you need to type is the LOWER of:
>
> CD /HOME/; LS
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Patrick Hammond (ptrckhammond) said : #7

Yes...still having a problem as I listed earlier. Let me cut a paste my
issues underneath here.

I'm now getting the following in the appering order

alex alexbires
root@alexbires-laptop:/home#(cursor is flashing waiting) all lower caps more
than once entered.

and i have type just as you've said but spaced in between so it looks
like cd /home/; ls (or) cd/home/;is(with no space between colon and ls) all
lower caps more than once entered.

Your previous instructions where cd /home; ls (I notice there was not a /
after home just ; and I tried it that a way too. But currently, I entering
cd(space) then /home ;/(space) then ls. No avail :(

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Patrick Hammond <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #172073 on shadow in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+question/172073
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> You are still having a problem:
> Okay Marco,
>
> I'm now getting the following in the appering order
>
> alex alexbires
> root@alexbires-laptop:/home#(cursor is flashing waiting) all lower caps
> more
> than once entered.
>
> and i have type just as you've said but spaced in between so it looks
> like cd /home/; ls (or) cd/home/;is(with no space between colon and ls) all
> lower caps more than once entered.
>
> Your previous instructions where cd /home; ls (I notice there was not a /
> after home just ; and I tried it that a way too. But currently, I entering
> cd(space) then /home ;/(space) then ls. No avail :(
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM, marcobra (Marco Braida) <
> <email address hidden>> wrote:
>
> > Your question #172073 on shadow in Ubuntu changed:
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/shadow/+question/172073
> >
> > marcobra (Marco Braida) posted a new comment:
> > The command you need to type is the LOWER of:
> >
> > CD /HOME/; LS
> >
> > --
> > You received this question notification because you asked the question.
> >
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Chris (fabricator4) said : #8

Try without the cd command:

ls /home

There is a space between the 'ls' command and the directory name '/home'

The directory name will give you the username than alex was using (probably just 'alex'). Follow the rest of the instructions given by Andrew to change the username. ie "passwd alex" etc

Yes, there's a space after the command 'passwd'.

Chris

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask Patrick Hammond for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.