Having trouble with headers. Got them turned off and can't turn them on.

Asked by Audrey A. on 2013-07-12

I am trying to learn how to format a book using openoffice help. I got so far as to get alternate headers and footers on left and right pages, but then I got the headers turned off and they won't turn back on. And the biggest problem is that I just can't understand that "Outline Numbering" box. I want each chapter to have the chapter name in the header. I can't understand this without at least a good explanation of how it works.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu openoffice.org Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Tony Pursell
Solved:
2013-07-14
Last query:
2013-07-14
Last reply:
2013-07-13

What is the output of :

lsb_release -a; uname -a; apt-cache policy openoffice.org

Thanks

Following the instructions in openoffice help, I have figured out how to turn the headers off, but it always turns them off in the entire document.

How do I add headers to page styles and then apply the styles to the pages where I want the headers to appear? The instructions for doing this are vague.

What is the output of the command I gave please

I have no idea what you are trying to say in that code. If you would please construct a sentence that tells me what you want to communicate, I will be happy to reply.

Tony Pursell (ajpursell) said : #5

Audrey

Headers are added to page styles by clicking on the 'Header On' check box on the 'Header' tab.

Page styles are applied to pages by opening 'Styles and Formatting' (use F11) and double clicking on the page style you want to use for that page. If you keep 'Styles and Formatting' open, you should see the highlighted page style change when you move to a page with a different page style.

You can also specify a page style when you insert a page break.

Andrew is asking you to run commands in a terminal to confirm what version of Ubuntu and OpenOffice you are using. Please note that the current version of Ubuntu, and all recent versions of Ubuntu, do not use OpenOffice by default. They use LibreOffice. LibreOffice and OpenOffice are very similar, but not identical, so I cannot guarantee that the instructions I have given are correct for OpenOffice.

Tony

I do not know how to run commands in a terminal. I am starting to get how
this is done, so thank you very much for all your help.

Audrey

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Tony Pursell <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #232317 on openoffice.org in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/232317
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Tony Pursell proposed the following answer:
> Audrey
>
> Headers are added to page styles by clicking on the 'Header On' check
> box on the 'Header' tab.
>
> Page styles are applied to pages by opening 'Styles and Formatting' (use
> F11) and double clicking on the page style you want to use for that
> page. If you keep 'Styles and Formatting' open, you should see the
> highlighted page style change when you move to a page with a different
> page style.
>
> You can also specify a page style when you insert a page break.
>
> Andrew is asking you to run commands in a terminal to confirm what
> version of Ubuntu and OpenOffice you are using. Please note that the
> current version of Ubuntu, and all recent versions of Ubuntu, do not use
> OpenOffice by default. They use LibreOffice. LibreOffice and
> OpenOffice are very similar, but not identical, so I cannot guarantee
> that the instructions I have given are correct for OpenOffice.
>
> Tony
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/232317/+confirm?answer_id=4
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/232317
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

michael (yellupcm-gmail) said : #7

Ctrl+Alt+T will bring up Terminal. Copy and Paste actionparsnip's command (#1) into Terminal. Copy and Paste results back here.

rodger@rodger-desktop:~$ lsb_release -a; uname -a; apt-cache policy openoffice.org
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid
Linux rodger-desktop 2.6.32-49-generic #111-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 20 21:28:42 UTC 2013 i686 GNU/Linux
openoffice.org:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.4
  Version table:
     1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.4 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/universe Packages
     1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe Packages
rodger@rodger-desktop:~$

I hope this helps.

Really what I am trying to do is get the book title on the left page, the chapter title on the right page, and the first page of each chapter with no headers. Also the numbering needs to be roman in the index and arabic in the text of the book.

Thank you for your help. This is all new to me and I make a little progress each day.

michael (yellupcm-gmail) said : #9

Very good!
Ubuntu 10.04 is EOL (end of life) meaning no longer supported. Either upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04, or make clean install of 12.04. Whichever you do, be sure to backup any thing that is important. There is a good chance that LibreOffice will be easier to use. Check site below for release dates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

At bottom of this site, there is a list of other Ubuntu flavors. Some people do not like look of 12.04, or have older computer equipment. I use Xubuntu on an older machine. A lot of answer for a small question. Check this site.

http://www.openoffice.org/support/

I believe you will be happy with Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.04.

I have a lot of fear in regard to changing what I am using because I am
afraid it will complicate things for me, but I will look into the new
programs.

Also, can you tell me to what extent the NSA has access to private
openoffice files stored on personal computers? Are Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu
12.04 open to government snooping?

Thank you so very much for your help!

Audrey

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM, michael <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #232317 on openoffice.org in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/232317
>
> michael posted a new comment:
> Very good!
> Ubuntu 10.04 is EOL (end of life) meaning no longer supported. Either
> upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04, or make clean install of 12.04. Whichever you do,
> be sure to backup any thing that is important. There is a good chance that
> LibreOffice will be easier to use. Check site below for release dates.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
> At bottom of this site, there is a list of other Ubuntu flavors. Some
> people do not like look of 12.04, or have older computer equipment. I
> use Xubuntu on an older machine. A lot of answer for a small question.
> Check this site.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/support/
>
> I believe you will be happy with Ubuntu 12.04 or Xubuntu 12.04.
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

If they are on your computer then they have no access......

Best Tony Pursell (ajpursell) said : #12

Hi Audrey

The advantage with Ubuntu, other 'flavours' of Ubuntu (like Xubuntu) and other Linux systems is that they are much less open to viruses. trojans and other malware, that can open a back door into your computer, than are Windows computers. However, you should always be careful to follow good security practices, like not visiting untrustworthy websites and not opening attachments in emails from unknown sources.

Ubuntu also provide regular updates to fix any security problems in your software, but only if you keep your system up to date. Version 10.04 reached its end of life as an LTS (Long Term Support) version on 9 May this year. The current LTS release is 12.04 (issued in April 2012) and will be supported with security fixes until April 2017. The next LTS release will be 14.04 in April 2014. It should be safe for you to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04, but follow Michael's advice to back up important files. There instructions for upgrading here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

Go to the section headed "Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Desktops 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS (Recommended)"

Thank you all very much. Problem solved.