I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer

Asked by jerrym on 2009-11-03

I'm using ubuntu 9.04 on a dell computer and it works fine I downloaded 9.10 and it worked but after I shut it down it won't boot up again

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu nautilus Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2009-11-22
Last reply:
2009-11-22

How did you install Karmic? Did you use web updates or the alternate CD for an offline upgrade?

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #2

I did not install Karmic I assumed it was in the download. Can you tell me how to install Karmic?

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #3

I think I'm confused about Karmic is that the name for 9.10 ? Then I did install it. I downloaded it off the internet to a cd and installed it off the cd and it worked but after I shut it down and changed the bios to boot to hard drive it would not boot.

Yes karmic == 9.10
Jaunty == 9.04

Did you MD5 test the ISO you downloaded?
Did you run the CD verifier once initially booted to?

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #5

Thanks for your suggestions The cd was verified and we put it on another computer and it boots up just fine but not on my dell. I'm sorry I don't know what MD5 test the ISO means.

--- On Wed, 11/4/09, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

From: actionparsnip <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 5:15 AM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Open => Needs information

actionparsnip requested for more information:
Yes karmic == 9.10
Jaunty == 9.04

Did you MD5 test the ISO you downloaded?
Did you run the CD verifier once initially booted to?

--
To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
this email or enter your reply at the following page:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #6

I think the MD5 test was ran automatically and we loaded the 9.10 on another computer and it worked fine but not on my dell.

tonyrayner (tr-techemail) said : #7

my monitor is set to default on my Dell computer because the Dell m/c is crappy one, any suggestions as to how I improve the screen quality. would ATI help do you think?

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #8

I'm still waiting for an answer how to get 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer

Duane Hinnen (duanedesign) said : #9

@jerrym When you say it wont boot, what exactly happens? Does it freeze at a certain point, is it not booting into X and only booting to a command prompt, does it boot into a black screen? How far along in the boot process does it get?
What type and Model of Dell is this?

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #10

Ok  yes it boots to a certain point and freezes. First I see a dell flash screen and then the ubuntu sign and then it freezes. I'm knew to ubuntu and so far I like it and its the only system I'm running and this is a dell dimension 2400 computer.

--- On Sat, 11/7/09, duanedesign <email address hidden> wrote:

From: duanedesign <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Saturday, November 7, 2009, 12:55 PM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Open => Needs information

duanedesign requested for more information:
@jerrym When you say it wont boot, what exactly happens? Does it freeze at a certain point, is it not booting into X and only booting to a command prompt, does it boot into a black screen? How far along in the boot process does it get?
What type and Model of Dell is this?

--
To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
this email or enter your reply at the following page:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #12

This website does not help me because I don't know what boot option or how to change it. Is there anyway you could be more specific how to make a 2400 dimension dell boot up?

--- On Sun, 11/8/09, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

From: actionparsnip <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Sunday, November 8, 2009, 1:10 PM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Open => Answered

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
Try some boot options:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

--
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401/+confirm?answer_id=10

If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

Read the page, it will help you add boot options to your kernel. You could try disabling ACPI and/or APIC and/or DMA.

The kernel is generic and should work on most systems but sometimes, extra options are needed.

The Ubuntu HCL does not have an entry for your model so cannot give direct references. You will just have to explore

One site I read said, make sure the AGP aperture is set to double the RAM in the video card (if you are not using onboard video)

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #14

I still need help. Is there any way someone could walk me thru this process on the phone? I can't figure out how to work terminal to change the boot commands.

--- On Tue, 11/10/09, jerrym <email address hidden> wrote:

From: jerrym <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 12:18 PM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Answered => Open

You are still having a problem:
This website does not help me because I don't know what boot option or
how to change it. Is there anyway you could be more specific how to make
a 2400 dimension dell boot up?

--- On Sun, 11/8/09, actionparsnip <email address hidden>
wrote:

From: actionparsnip <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Sunday, November 8, 2009, 1:10 PM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Open => Answered

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
Try some boot options:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

--
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401/+confirm?answer_id=10

If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

If you read the page I posted, Karmic actually allows you to press F6 on the first page to add boot options which may help

All you have to do is read and not panic, its all there
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=menuf6.1.png

Read what people give you and you will be ok. Thats all you have to do.

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #16

Ok when I go to terminal to change the boot options the command on the web site to open the file does not open the file how does that  work?

--- On Wed, 11/18/09, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

From: actionparsnip <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 2:50 AM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Open => Answered

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
If you read the page I posted, Karmic actually allows you to press F6 on
the first page to add boot options which may help

All you have to do is read and not panic, its all there
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=menuf6.1.png

Read what people give you and you will be ok. Thats all you have to do.

--
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401/+confirm?answer_id=14

If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #17

Is there anyone having problems booting a dell dimension 2400 or has there been any cures for this problem yet?

You do not use the terminal, you use the F6 menu to disable functionality as I described

jerrym (pmeyer0916) said : #19

Ok I can boot from the cd but it won't boot from the hard drive. It says on the web site you have to change the boot permanently thru terminal. I have read there is a bug in 9.10 with a dell dimension 2400. Is there any cure for that yet?

--- On Sun, 11/22/09, actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:

From: actionparsnip <email address hidden>
Subject: Re: [Question #88401]: I can't get ubuntu 9.10 to boot up on a dell computer
To: <email address hidden>
Date: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 4:39 AM

Your question #88401 on nautilus in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

    Status: Open => Answered

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
You do not use the terminal, you use the F6 menu to disable
functionality as I described

--
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401/+confirm?answer_id=17

If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+question/88401

You received this question notification because you are a direct
subscriber of the question.

Kep your eye on the bug. When a fix becomes available you can use it. You could also try to find a remedy yourself. Maybe the latest BIOS will help

tonyrayner (tr-techemail) said : #21

i installed ubuntu using a CD.. and finally upgraded to 9.10 which cured my problem with the booting from HD.

so problem solved thanks all.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask jerrym for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.