11.10 movie player won't play music, avi, wmv, mpg

Asked by Bob McKittrick on 2012-11-11

The player with 11.10 won't play the music the Rythmbox played in 11.04 and it won't play movies (avi, mpg, wmv) without plugins which the operating system will not let me install - either from the player or the software center.
I have 12G of classical music and opera which I listende to all the time. This is the worst operating system I have used (from early DOS to windos xp, ubuntu 10.04, 11.04 and now 11.10).

bob mckittrick

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu gnome-media Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2012-11-12
Last query:
2012-11-12
Last reply:
2012-11-11

Teh OS isn't bad bvecause you cannot use it. It is YOU who have fallen short.

If you run:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Does it install a lot of stuff?

Bob McKittrick (mckitt1943-4) said : #2

no it seemed to reject the command after I entered my password and no
changes were made to the movie player. We always could download from the
software center before - why are we blocked? The only thing I could install
was fonts. and why did it wipe out everything when the update said it would
preserve my documants?
bob mckittrick

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #213905 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/213905
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Teh OS isn't bad bvecause you cannot use it. It is YOU who have fallen
> short.
>
> If you run:
>
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> Does it install a lot of stuff?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/213905
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

You don't get feeback from sudo, just type the password and hit ENTER

Also run:

sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer vlc

Can help too

You aren't blacked in any way

The installer will only do as you say, it is a piece of software responding to inputs. Your backups will help restore your important data.

blocked...not blacked

Bob McKittrick (mckitt1943-4) said : #8

I updated to 12.04 and that solved the problem. If the movie player need codecs, it downloaded and installed with no problem, unlike with 11.10. Consider the problem solved.

12.04 is also LTS. 11.10 has about 11 months support, Precise is supported til 2017 :)

Bob McKittrick (mckitt1943-4) said : #10

I went to 12.04 and problems disappeared. thanks for helping - I did get
the restricted extras to work - I forgot the 'install' in the command. The
restricted extras did not help playing movies. I notice 12.04 goes back to
the movie player and I use rythmbox because it organizes my music (12G). I
have read the warnings and don't like the recommended one because I have to
know the organization of my Music folder. I left a shorter message on the
answers? page on the ubuntu site.
bob

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:11 AM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #213905 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/213905
>
> actionparsnip posted a new comment:
> 12.04 is also LTS. 11.10 has about 11 months support, Precise is
> supported til 2017 :)
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>