Ubuntu

I applied the shockwave update like a good girl, and now my favorite radio station won't start.

Asked by Ellen on 2011-08-11

I downloaded the Task Manager Update. KABC will not start. I restarted the computer even after the requested restart. The second time I got a frozen image of the ad (three girls going after a hunky man's 3 Muskateers bar), but again nothing the next time. I am ready to cry. What might I need to tweak?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu flashplugin-nonfree Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
actionparsnip
Solved:
2011-08-11
Last query:
2011-08-11
Last reply:
2011-08-11

Shockwave doesn't run on Linux. What is KABC?

Ellen (lfant-erickson) said : #2

KABC is a radio station that streams online. I had occasional trouble with
it crashing in the past, and hoped this update would fix that.

 http://kabc.com/

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM, actionparsnip <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #167600 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/167600
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Shockwave doesn't run on Linux. What is KABC?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/167600
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

michael (yellupcm-gmail) said : #3

Confused! Task Manager is Windows app. Is KABC a radio station? Shockwave is Windows. What OS are you using, Ubuntu or Windows?

Ellen (lfant-erickson) said : #4

Please forgive me. I am still upset, so I used an incorrect term, expecting
someone to have applied the same update recently from the update manager. I
wouldn't post here if I didn't use Ubuntu. I applied the recommended update
less than 3 hours ago. Maybe it was Flash player.

I don't know what method the Southern California radio station KABC uses to
stream on the internet. All I know is that it *isn't* *immediately* after
applying the update. Please help. Thank you.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM, marcobra (Marco Braida) <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #167600 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/167600
>
> Project: Ubuntu => firefox in Ubuntu
>
> --
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Please open a Terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T) and paste the following command into it, then press enter to run it:

lsb_release -a; dpkg -l | egrep 'flash|gnash|swf|lightspark'

Then please select all the text in the Terminal (Edit > Select All), copy it to the clipboard (Edit > Copy), and paste it here (into your post).

Ellen (lfant-erickson) said : #6

lsb_release -a; dpkg -l | egrep 'flash|gnash|swf|lightspark'
ellen@ellen-desktop:~$ lsb_release -a; dpkg -l | egrep
'flash|gnash|swf|lightspark'
LSB Version:
core-2.0-ia32:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-ia32:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-ia32:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-ia32:core-4.0-noarch:cxx-3.0-ia32:cxx-3.0-noarch:cxx-3.1-ia32:cxx-3.1-noarch:cxx-3.2-ia32:cxx-3.2-noarch:cxx-4.0-ia32:cxx-4.0-noarch:desktop-3.1-ia32:desktop-3.1-noarch:desktop-3.2-ia32:desktop-3.2-noarch:desktop-4.0-ia32:desktop-4.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-ia32:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-ia32:graphics-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.2-ia32:graphics-3.2-noarch:graphics-4.0-ia32:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-3.2-ia32:printing-3.2-noarch:printing-4.0-ia32:printing-4.0-noarch:qt4-3.1-ia32:qt4-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid
ii adobe-flash-properties-gtk
10.3.183.4-0lucid1 GTK+ control panel for Adobe
Flash Player pl
ii adobe-flashplugin
10.3.183.4-0lucid1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
version 10
rc flashplugin-installer
10.0.45.2ubuntu1 Adobe Flash Player plugin
installer
ellen@ellen-desktop:~$

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Eliah Kagan <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #167600 on firefox in Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/167600
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Eliah Kagan requested more information:
> Please open a Terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T) and paste the following
> command into it, then press enter to run it:
>
> lsb_release -a; dpkg -l | egrep 'flash|gnash|swf|lightspark'
>
> Then please select all the text in the Terminal (Edit > Select All),
> copy it to the clipboard (Edit > Copy), and paste it here (into your
> post).
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+question/167600
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Try running this command, and see if the problem goes away. (Come to https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+question/167600, select the whole thing, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the Terminal.) You may be prompted for your password in the Terminal. As you enter it, you won't see any placeholder characters (like *). That's OK, just type it in and press enter:

sudo apt-get purge adobe-flash-properties-gtk adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree; sudo dpkg -P flashplugin-installer; sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/`dpkg-query -f='${Package}_${Version}_${Architecture}' -W flashplugin-installer`.deb; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Then quit all your web browser windows, go back into your browser, and see if the problem is fixed.

If the problem is not fixed, then please select all the text in the Terminal, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it here. Please also:

(1) In Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons, and see if more than one item is listed that says Flash or Shockwave (or both). If so, please post here about exactly what it says.

(2) Check to see if the problem occurs with a different web browser. (So if you are using Firefox, you can test to see if the problem happens in Chromium--to get Chromium, install the package called chromium-browser in the Software Center). If the problem is with your web browser rather than your Flash plugin, this may reveal that.

(3) Check if the problem happens when you log in to your Ubuntu system as a different user (if you only have one user account, you can create a second user account to test this). If the problem is with your user-specific configuration, this should reveal that.

Try:

sudo apt-get --purge remove adobe-flash-properties-gtk adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-installer; sudo apt-get clean; sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Restart all browsers. Should be ok

Ellen (lfant-erickson) said : #9

Yippee!! Thank you! Why did I have to go through all of this?? I know I
need to go to Linux User's Group meetings and/or find a class to really
learn what this is all about. I'm sure I can get a handle on this and play
around for myself, but I haven't yet...Thank you for being there for me,
Elia!!

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Eliah Kagan <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #167600 on flashplugin-nonfree in Ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+question/167600
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Eliah Kagan proposed the following answer:
> Try running this command, and see if the problem goes away. (Come to
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-
> nonfree/+question/167600, select the whole thing, copy it to the
> clipboard, and paste it into the Terminal.) You may be prompted for your
> password in the Terminal. As you enter it, you won't see any placeholder
> characters (like *). That's OK, just type it in and press enter:
>
> sudo apt-get purge adobe-flash-properties-gtk adobe-flashplugin
> flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree; sudo dpkg -P flashplugin-
> installer; sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/`dpkg-query
> -f='${Package}_${Version}_${Architecture}' -W flashplugin-
> installer`.deb; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install flashplugin-
> installer
>
> Then quit all your web browser windows, go back into your browser, and
> see if the problem is fixed.
>
> If the problem is not fixed, then please select all the text in the
> Terminal, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it here. Please also:
>
> (1) In Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons, and see if more than one item is
> listed that says Flash or Shockwave (or both). If so, please post here
> about exactly what it says.
>
> (2) Check to see if the problem occurs with a different web browser. (So
> if you are using Firefox, you can test to see if the problem happens in
> Chromium--to get Chromium, install the package called chromium-browser
> in the Software Center). If the problem is with your web browser rather
> than your Flash plugin, this may reveal that.
>
> (3) Check if the problem happens when you log in to your Ubuntu system
> as a different user (if you only have one user account, you can create a
> second user account to test this). If the problem is with your user-
> specific configuration, this should reveal that.
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+question/167600/+confirm?answer_id=6
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+question/167600
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Just play and you will learn. You had the wrong flash package installed.

Ellen (lfant-erickson) said : #11

Thanks! Another program that uses Adobe Flash (Facebook Happy Aquarium) doesn't seem to want to work while the radio is streaming, but that was often true, anyway.