Changing font size when I copy websites

Asked by Marylyn Chabot on 2011-01-17

When I am coping info off a website, how can I increase or decrease the font size?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu firefox-3.0 Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Eliah Kagan
Solved:
2011-02-09
Last query:
2011-02-09
Last reply:
2011-02-09

Perhaps I don't know what you mean, but no matter how you intend to use the text on a website, you can increase its size by pressing Ctrl+Plus (or with View > Zoom > Zoom In), and you can decrease its size by pressing Ctrl+Minus (or with View > Zoom > Zoom Out).

If you are copying the text into another program which allows the text size to be changed, then you could change the size after you have copied it as well. Since I don't know what program or programs you're copying the text into, I am unable to tell you specifically how to do that, though I would be pleased to try to help you further if you explain in greater detail what you are trying to do.

Marylyn Chabot (gramabo) said : #2

Eliah Kagan wrote:
> Your question #141731 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/141731
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Eliah Kagan proposed the following answer:
> Perhaps I don't know what you mean, but no matter how you intend to use
> the text on a website, you can increase its size by pressing Ctrl+Plus
> (or with View > Zoom > Zoom In), and you can decrease its size by
> pressing Ctrl+Minus (or with View > Zoom > Zoom Out).
>
> If you are copying the text into another program which allows the text
> size to be changed, then you could change the size after you have copied
> it as well. Since I don't know what program or programs you're copying
> the text into, I am unable to tell you specifically how to do that,
> though I would be pleased to try to help you further if you explain in
> greater detail what you are trying to do.
>
>
Example....I am on a website and I want to make a paper copy of the data
with my printer. I want the font to be larger/smaller. How do I do this?

Ah, I see. Changing the "zoom" in Firefox (with Control+Plus and Control+Minus), as I had suggested, will not affect the way the web page is printed on paper.

To change that, go to File > Print... and click the Page Setup tab (at the top). There are five items under Layout (on the left side). The last one is Scale. Change that, to adjust the size that text and other web page elements are scaled when represented in the printout.

Please note that going to File > Page Setup... is not the same as clicking the Page Setup... tab after going to File > Print..., and that this setting is *not* available in File > Page Setup... (though you can use that to tell Firefox what size paper you're printing to, if you start using a different size).

Marylyn Chabot (gramabo) said : #4

I found out how to change the font size on my Page Setup. I don't have this item
any other place. Now my problem is how to change the font size from job to job without shutting down mu computer. Any suggestions?

I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "from job to job"?

If you want to print two different web documents with two different scales, shutting down the computer is completely unnecessary (and probably useless, too). Just go to Page Setup as described above and set it the way you want it for the first print job (is that what you meant by "job"?), and then print the first document. Ten go to Page Setup again and set it the way you want it for the second print job, and then print the second document. If the first and second documents are the same (that is, if you want to print the same document twice with different scales), that's fine too.

Correction: "Ten go to Page Setup again" --> "Then go to Page Setup again"

Marylyn Chabot (gramabo) said : #7

Eliah Kagan wrote:
> Your question #141731 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/141731
>
> Eliah Kagan posted a new comment:
> Correction: "Ten go to Page Setup again" --> "Then go to Page Setup
> again"
>
>
OK Mr Kagan,

I have been doing just that but when I change the setting the printer
keeps reverting to the previous setting. ????
I think the problem is in my printer. Agree? Anyway thanks for all your
patience and your help. I appreciate all you have done.
Can I contact you in the future or will I get a new "service rep" with
each future problem?

Perhaps I have understood you incorrectly. I thought you were asking how to change the scaling between one print job and the next. Are you asking how to keep it the *same* (but something different than 100%) for multiple separate print jobs?

Marylyn Chabot (gramabo) said : #9

Eliah Kagan wrote:
> Your question #141731 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/141731
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Eliah Kagan requested for more information:
> Perhaps I have understood you incorrectly. I thought you were asking how
> to change the scaling between one print job and the next. Are you asking
> how to keep it the *same* (but something different than 100%) for
> multiple separate print jobs?
>
>
Thanks for all your help. I've come to the conclusion that the problem
is my printer.
God bless you!

A problem changing or maintaining scaling settings between print jobs in Firefox *cannot* be caused by your printer. But perhaps I misunderstand what your problem was.

If you want further help with this, please post again, answering my information request from January 29th.

If you do not want further help with this problem, you can mark the question as Solved.

Marylyn Chabot (gramabo) said : #11

Eliah Kagan wrote:
> Your question #141731 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/141731
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Eliah Kagan requested for more information:
> A problem changing or maintaining scaling settings between print jobs in
> Firefox *cannot* be caused by your printer. But perhaps I misunderstand
> what your problem was.
>
> If you want further help with this, please post again, answering my
> information request from January 29th.
>
> If you do not want further help with this problem, you can mark the
> question as Solved.
>
>
SOLVED! Thank you

Replying with the word "SOLVED" does not mark a question as Solved. The current Open status of this question will result in other people coming along and asking your for clarification as to whether or not you still want help. You can mark this question as Solved at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/141731 or by following the instructions at the bottom of every email you receive.

Marylyn Chabot (gramabo) said : #13

Thanks Eliah Kagan, that solved my question.