only printing draft quality

Asked by robert fallis on 2007-05-23

when I print is evince I only get draft quility print ,in other programs (open office) printing is OK, I've tried alltering the print quaity but this does not work.

bob

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu evince Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Thomas Templin
Solved:
2007-05-27
Last query:
2007-05-27
Last reply:
2007-05-27
Thomas Templin (coastgnu) said : #1

Hello Robert
On Wed, 23. May 2007 08:50:28 robert fallis wrote:
> New question #7053 on evince in ubuntu:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+question/7053
>
> when I print is evince I only get draft quility print ,in other programs
> (open office) printing is OK, I've tried alltering the print quaity but
> this does not work.

When you see the print dialog select your printer model.

You will see five tabs, one of them is 'Print Quality' (or Quality, depends on
you Language set)

Select this Quality tab. E.G. for a laser printer you will see a Button
'Toner Saving' , (for other types of printers there might be other quality
relevant options). For my laser printer here it has the options 'On'
and 'Off'. Where 'off' is for high quality and 'On' for draft quality.

Click this button and select a higher quality.

Hope this will help,
thomas

robert fallis (robert-fallis) said : #2

the problem as changed , I've mucked about with the setting and got no where.
still printing graphics Ok but can no longer print text , I get the message "Printing stopped" it's as if the text never reachers the printer, which is a epson d88.

Thomas Templin (coastgnu) said : #3

On Sun, 27. May 2007 11:11:28 robert fallis wrote:
> Question #7053 on evince in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+question/7053
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> robert fallis is still having a problem:
> the problem as changed , I've mucked about with the setting and got no
> where. still printing graphics Ok but can no longer print text , I get the
> message "Printing stopped" it's as if the text never reachers the printer,
> which is a epson d88.

There are several ways to solve your problem.
Lets start with the easiest one first, if this will not solve your problem we
will try the other ones later.

- removing you printer in gnome-cups-manager and reinstall it again
  For this open gnome-cups-manager

  Press <Alt>+<F2> and enter 'gnome-cups-manager'
   You should see your printer listed in the gnome-cups-manager window
  Select your printer with a right-click of the mouse
  From the drop down list select 'remove'

  Now right-click the 'New Printer' symbol and select '+Add'
  from this point on I need a bit more information of your printer to give a
  detailed explanation.

  How is it connected?
  USB, printer-port, via network cable, ...

If this step above will not solve your problem we should go on with the other
ones below.

But first, may I ask which print system you are using?
 If you did the ordinary ubuntu installation it should be cups.
 But maybe you installed / configured other print-services afterwards, e.g.
 turboprint, or BSD-LPD,...
 So we have to clarify this first.

- try to print a test page and try to check all printer settings in
  gnome-cups-manager
- Have a closer look to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf the cupsd configuration file.
  (Cupsd is the cups printserver daemon which is listening for print jobs all
  the time)

regards,
thomas

robert fallis (robert-fallis) said : #4

On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:54:10 +0100, coastgnu
<email address hidden> wrote:
   hi thomas
here are the awnsers
> How is it connected?
> USB, printer-port, via network cable, ...

     USB port
>
> But first, may I ask which print system you are using?
> If you did the ordinary ubuntu installation it should be cups.
>
    It is cups
>
> - try to print a test page and try to check all printer settings

  can print test page ok

> - Have a closer look to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf the cupsd configuration
> file.

browse conf says browsing off

ports conf. says listen local host 631
             and listen/var/run/cups/cups.sock

and I still can't print text it just says stopped:job stopped

thanks for your help so far

regards
bob
>
> _______________________________________________________________________
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+question/7053/+confirm?answer_id=2
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+question/7053

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Thomas Templin (coastgnu) said : #5

On Sun, 27. May 2007 14:54:13 robert fallis wrote:
> Question #7053 on evince in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+question/7053
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> robert fallis is still having a problem:
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:54:10 +0100, coastgnu
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> hi thomas
> here are the awnsers
You deleted the printer in gnome-cups-manager and installed it again as I
mentioned in my last mail?

> > How is it connected?
> > USB, printer-port, via network cable, ...
>
> USB port
>
> > But first, may I ask which print system you are using?
> > If you did the ordinary ubuntu installation it should be cups.
>
> It is cups
>
> > - try to print a test page and try to check all printer settings
>
> can print test page ok
Hhhm, so at least the command to print a test page works.

BTW, it printed the cups test page, didn't it?
When I mantioned printing a test page I thought about printing a test page
from the gnome-cups-manager and not directly from the printer itself.
Didn't say this explicitely.

>
> > - Have a closer look to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf the cupsd configuration
> > file.
>
> browse conf says browsing off
>
> ports conf. says listen local host 631
> and listen/var/run/cups/cups.sock
>
> and I still can't print text it just says stopped:job stopped
Open a terminal, what says a
 /etc/init.d/cupsys status
?

Please start gnome-cups-manager and check if there are waiting files to print
in the print spool.
For this open gnome-cups-manager and double-click your printer icon.
If there are files in the spool delete them.

Also have a look to the menu entry 'Printer'.
The first entry should be 'Pause Printer' not 'Resume Printer'.
If it shows 'Resume Printer' click 'Resume Printer' to start the printer
again.

Then restart the cupsd daemon from a terminal.
Open a terminal and start:
 sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys stop
and
 sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys start

Does the output of the command
 /etc/init.d/cupsys status
differ from the last '/etc/init.d/cupsys status' you run before?

Also reseting the printer as described in the printer manual sometimes helps.
This because from time to time we can see some kind of 'printer hickups' when
a program sent weird commands or the printer is shutdown via 'brute force
method', often seen when the power supply is cut while an active print job is
running.

If this all doesn't help I would recommend to remove the printer as mentioned
in my last mail and install it again. (use the 'New Printer' icon for this)
If you don't want to delete your installed printer you may install an new
epson d88 printer using a different name. If this new one will do the job you
may delete the old one.

regards,
thomas

robert fallis (robert-fallis) said : #6

On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:00:14 +0100, coastgnu
<email address hidden> wrote:
thanks Thomas,
reinstalled the printer as D88-1
and every thing works

regards
bob

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Best Thomas Templin (coastgnu) said : #7

On Sun, 27. May 2007 18:36:08 robert fallis wrote:
> Question #7053 on evince in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+question/7053
>
> Status: Answered => Open
>
> robert fallis is still having a problem:
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 16:00:14 +0100, coastgnu
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> thanks Thomas,
> reinstalled the printer as D88-1
> and every thing works
Hey, glad to hear this!

May you mark your suport request in the web interface as solved, please.
So others may have the chance to search for a solution to a problem like
yours. If a question is marked as solved the chance is bigger others will
have a look at it.

regards,
thomas

robert fallis (robert-fallis) said : #8

Thanks coastgnu, that solved my question.