"/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip" not available: No such file or directory -> Brother MFC-9600 printer stopped working after upgrade to 14.04

Asked by fagin on 2014-08-16

Hello,

I upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 yesterday. And now I cant print anymore.

My printer is Brother MFC 9600 . When I open up the Print window in the status tab there is the message below:

"/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip" not available: No such file or directory

i tried "sudo service cups start" (as suggested on another forum) and it says "Job is already running"

Can anyone help?

Thanks much.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu cupsys Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
fagin
Solved:
2014-08-16
Last query:
2014-08-16
Last reply:
2014-08-16

Please open a Terminal and run the following Terminal commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cups-filters apsfilter

Then make sure that your printer is using the hl1250 printer driver, which is part of the apsfilter Ubuntu package.

Source 1: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=foomatic-rip&mode=exactfilename&suite=trusty&arch=any

Source 2: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/apsfilter

Source 3: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-MFC-9600

What is the output of :

file /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip; lsb_release -a; uname -a

Thanks

fagin (faginp) said : #3

@Mark Rijckenberg

 I did :

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cups-filters apsfilter

Then downloaded the hl1250 driver from https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-MFC-9600 onto my desktop.

I didn't know how to install a the driver so I deleted the MFC Printer and then went through the process of "Add" new printer and I guess it just found the right driver it needed. It is using the hl1250 driver now and it is working fine!!!

THANKS!!

fagin (faginp) said : #4

@actionparsnip

I dont know how to do what you asked - getting the output, that is t of :

file /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip; lsb_release -a; uname -a

But the problem is now solved. Thanks for trying to help anyway.