Upgrade BleachBit in repositories to latest v3, even when Debian haven't updated, yet

Asked by Tobias B. Besemer on 2019-11-30

Hi!

Is it possible, that "Ubuntu MOTU Developers" upgrade BleachBit in repositories to latest stable release v3 for all users, even when Debian haven't updated, yet?
Think all users should get the improved BB v3 rolled out!

Greets, Tobias B. Besemer.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu bleachbit Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Tobias B. Besemer
Solved:
2019-11-30
Last query:
2019-11-30
Last reply:
2019-11-30
Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #1

Manfred Hampl suggests this article as an answer to your question:
FAQ #3037: “no rolling release”.

Hi Manfred!

Thx 4 your feedback!
Yeah, this link makes it more clear...
But I can't find a repo list for 20.04LTS and which BB version are included, ATM.
Do you have me a link for this, too?
And if BB3 isn't included yet, can it be tested/included?
And if it will be included, what about backports including BB3 ??? Possible ???
And if backport is possible, what about rolling at least out version 2 to all distries where it's possible?

Greets, Tobias.

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #3

see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bleachbit

Ubuntu 20.04 will have bleachbit 3.0 (or eventually higher) in its standard repositories, there is no need for a PPA.

And for the older releases:
Look into https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=bleachbit for suitable PPAs; at least for Bionic there is https://launchpad.net/~linuxmint-tr/+archive/ubuntu/backports-app-19

There are no strange dependencies in bleachbit, so I assume that manually installing the 3.0-1 version for focal on older Ubuntu releases would work well, and an official backport without the need for modifications would be possible.

For backporting the newest version: please see the link in the FAQ and create a related bug report.

Thanks a lot for info! :)

I have pointed Andrew to the possibility of using backports here: https://github.com/bleachbit/wishlist/issues/73

Now it's his decision to (officially) use it or not...

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #5

Best solution from Ubuntu point of view would probably be:

1. Someone requests that the newest version of bleachbit is backported to older supported Ubuntu releases (probably not realistic for a quick solution; the better that backport is prepared and tested beforehand, the more likely it will be accepted).

or

2. Someone prepares an "official" bleachbit PPA, providing updated versions for all Ubuntu releases and eventually also backported versions of required dependency packages.
There would even be the possibility for different PPAs ("stable-latest", "unstable-latest" etc. as proposed in https://github.com/bleachbit/wishlist/issues/72#issue-530582695 )

I'm feeling at bit like in a double windmill, at the moment!

On one side from the pure open source view on things, I would be willing to try to push offical backports or do my own PPA, at least for those people who request it from time to time in the issues...

One the other side I understand Andrew's decision to don't do it yet, 'cause it seems the project needs some money, too, and he haven't e.g. a big company in the background that gives from time to time some Dollars without want to make decisions for the project...

So difficult to decide what to do!
Guess I will wait a bit and see later...