Has been unstable for the past week, started with not being able to use the back arrow, can't use search engine in toolbar, bookmarks gone, must get lucky to even boot properly, no disk space avail to save anything? Today there are 2700 emails about Bugs in my Gmail??? What is going on?? Please help/ love linux/i'mnew

Asked by DaPenningtons on 2008-08-10

Upgraded to 8.0 system status 0 don't know what to Do. Do i need a new disk to reinstall ubuntu? Why do i have 2700 emails in my gmail mail?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu beryl-settings-simple Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2008-08-11
Last reply:
2008-09-18

Dear Sir / Ma'am,

WOW! I feel your pain, and yet-- i must be honest-- it is difficult to understand what is truly at issue, not with your Operating System, but in your Question.

Please consider posting under my reply, a re-write of your original inquiry-- but wait! I've got a suggestion for how we might better connect on the real problem here. If I may indulge your attention for just a minute here, then check this out...

  -- Huh? and WTF?: probably the most common first-repsonses; first things which come to mind for many of the kindly support people here who, bless their little hearts (even he or she who finds that-- paradoxically, there is value in spending the time to author what is by now perhaps the most ubiquitous cliche of the Internet. indubitably a faux pas if cited any later than-- what shall we say: 1998? that the same gal must spend some of it, yet-- to follow her own philosophy and/or etiquette-- does not perceive her own wasting even more of that most elusive of all things known: time.) so, you say to me: WTF, right? you say "huh?". i say "would you like some [chewing] gum?"**

    ---- in human terms: please "say again", but this time-- with all your might, try not to give us more than one question mark. just one. and don't go cheating by combining sentences n stuff. hee hee.

It's all good. after all-- it's only plastic, metal, silicon, and what-- electricity? tell me how is that some way more important than taking a good shiiiny apple from a tree, and biting into it! now, calm down and summarize once more-- cause you're only going to get one more chance, right? hehe....

DaPenningtons (dapenningtons) said : #2

OK, I am not the brightest apple as much as I'd like to be:( I am new to
Linux/Ubuntu and have not been able to spend much time learning much about
it yet. The bottom line is my computer is acting crazy and so is my husband
for signing up for online classes that he can't take now...NYF Would a list
be better(?)
#1. The back arrow in Firefox is not working
#2. The search using Google does not work. You can type in the box but
nothing happens after that
#3.I keep getting the message insufficient disk space when I try to open a
document in Open Office
#4. I have 2,250 Emails in my G mail reporting BUGS ( I usually have an
average of 60)
#5 Bookmarks are all missing
#6 Does not always start....have to boot several times and sometimes boot
then wait and eventually it will boot up
Do I need to order the CD? My friend that built this CPU for me moved back
to Tukey without giving it to me so I guess I'm just to Dumb and will have
to get a "M" word computer??YUCK
Please help

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 9:21 PM, NoviceNotes <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #41825 on beryl-settings-simple in ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> NoviceNotes proposed the following answer:
> Dear Sir / Ma'am,
>
> WOW! I feel your pain, and yet-- i must be honest-- it is difficult to
> understand what is truly at issue, not with your Operating System, but
> in your Question.
>
> Please consider posting under my reply, a re-write of your original
> inquiry-- but wait! I've got a suggestion for how we might better
> connect on the real problem here. If I may indulge your attention for
> just a minute here, then check this out...
>
> -- Huh? and WTF?: probably the most common first-repsonses; first
> things which come to mind for many of the kindly support people here
> who, bless their little hearts (even he or she who finds that--
> paradoxically, there is value in spending the time to author what is by
> now perhaps the most ubiquitous cliche of the Internet. indubitably a
> faux pas if cited any later than-- what shall we say: 1998? that the
> same gal must spend some of it, yet-- to follow her own philosophy
> and/or etiquette-- does not perceive her own wasting even more of that
> most elusive of all things known: time.) so, you say to me: WTF, right?
> you say "huh?". i say "would you like some [chewing] gum?"**
>
> ---- in human terms: please "say again", but this time-- with all
> your might, try not to give us more than one question mark. just one.
> and don't go cheating by combining sentences n stuff. hee hee.
>
> It's all good. after all-- it's only plastic, metal, silicon, and what--
> electricity? tell me how is that some way more important than taking a
> good shiiiny apple from a tree, and biting into it! now, calm down and
> summarize once more-- cause you're only going to get one more chance,
> right? hehe....
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825/+confirm?answer_id=0
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

Edwin Dijk (sitix) said : #3

There is no actual difference between a downloaded Ubuntu and a CD-ordered Ubuntu. In fact, the downloaded version is probably even better updated.

If I hear these problems, I think you might as well reinstall everything. All these errors indicate that there's something primary that isn't correct. You can fight the symptoms but you can also just get to the center of the problem. My advice is to just reinstall Ubuntu.

opd (dr7om) said : #4

i had similar problem few weeks back after i installed sbackup which automatically backed up my files in my computer hard disk which took most of the space. I went to preference and changed it to manual back up and deleted backup files to clear the space. After that everything worked fine. I am not sure same thing or something similar is happening to you. To see what is taking most of disk space run disk usage analyzer from Applications> Accessories > Disk usage Analyzer or type baobab in terminal and do scan.
regards

DaPenningtons (dapenningtons) said : #5

Thanks everyone

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:27 AM, opd
<email address hidden>wrote:

> Your question #41825 on beryl-settings-simple in ubuntu changed:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825
>
> opd proposed the following answer:
> i had similar problem few weeks back after i installed sbackup which
> automatically backed up my files in my computer hard disk which took most of
> the space. I went to preference and changed it to manual back up and deleted
> backup files to clear the space. After that everything worked fine. I am not
> sure same thing or something similar is happening to you. To see what is
> taking most of disk space run disk usage analyzer from Applications>
> Accessories > Disk usage Analyzer or type baobab in terminal and do scan.
> regards
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825/+confirm?answer_id=3
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825
>
> You received this question notification because you are a direct
> subscriber of the question.
>

DaPenningtons (dapenningtons) said : #6

Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM, the penningtons
<email address hidden>wrote:

> Thanks everyone
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:27 AM, opd <<email address hidden>
> > wrote:
>
>> Your question #41825 on beryl-settings-simple in ubuntu changed:
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825
>>
>> opd proposed the following answer:
>> i had similar problem few weeks back after i installed sbackup which
>> automatically backed up my files in my computer hard disk which took most of
>> the space. I went to preference and changed it to manual back up and deleted
>> backup files to clear the space. After that everything worked fine. I am not
>> sure same thing or something similar is happening to you. To see what is
>> taking most of disk space run disk usage analyzer from Applications>
>> Accessories > Disk usage Analyzer or type baobab in terminal and do scan.
>> regards
>>
>> --
>> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
>> know that it is solved:
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825/+confirm?answer_id=3
>>
>> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
>> following page to enter your feedback:
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/beryl-settings-simple/+question/41825
>>
>> You received this question notification because you are a direct
>> subscriber of the question.
>>
>
>

gpk (gpk-kochanski) said : #7

It looks like something has filled up all your disk space.
Once that happens, many things can go wrong -- basically
anything that needs to write to the disk will misbehave.

So, assuming your disk is reasonably big (like 40 gigabytes
or more), you need to clear some space. If the disk is
small (like 20 gigs or less), you may need to buy a bigger
disk or a better computer.

Applications -< Accessories -> Disk Usage Analyzer is
a good place to start. Or, poke around from folder to
folder. I set it the folder option to View-> View as list.
That'll tell you how big the files are.

You want to look for files with lots of megabytes (MB)
or *lots* of small files.

Bernhard (b.a.koenig) said : #8

As I also pointed out in bug #256754, you seem to be on some notify list of launchpad that sends you a notification to your gmail address for almost every reported bug here. I don't know why you are on this list but launchpad should try to make sure that they don't send you anymore spam in the future.

That being said, maybe your computer is a bit unstable because of these 2700 e-mails? Either your gmail site might be unstable or your hard drive might be full if you did indeed download all these mail onto your machine.

Steve Beattie (sbeattie) said : #9

Hi,

You have 2700 new bug threads (presumably, not just emails) in your gmail account because you've subscribed yourself to the Ubuntu project's bugs. You can change your settings by going to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+subscribe , unclicking the box that's marked "I want to subscribe to notifications." and then pressing the "Save these changes" buttons. Good luck and thanks!

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask DaPenningtons for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.