9.04 usb drives won't boot

Asked by Jeanette Castaneda on 2009-05-16

hi, i just installed 9.04 and my usb drives aren't reading. won't read a flash drive usb or usb wireless mouse. i know that there are other posts for this problem but i didn't see any for version 9.04 jaunty. i wasn't sure if the same solution applied. can i solve this thru terminal? thanks.

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
peter b
Solved:
2009-05-30
Last query:
2009-05-30
Last reply:
2009-05-20
peter b (b1pete) said : #1

jeanette,

pls take a look at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/344406

maybe it'll help.

regards,
peter b

Jeanette Castaneda (jnetface) said : #2

echo "usb_storage" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

is this command entered all together? i entered it and entered my password,
but nothing showed up after. still having the same problem.

On May 16, 2009 8:51am, peter b <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #71326 on Ubuntu changed:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> Status: Open => Answered

> peter b proposed the following answer:

> jeanette,

> pls take a look at

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/344406

> maybe it'll help.

> regards,

> peter b

> --

> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us

> know that it is solved:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326/+confirm?answer_id=0

> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the

> following page to enter your feedback:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> You received this question notification because you are a direct

> subscriber of the question.

peter b (b1pete) said : #3

jeanette,

yes, the command is correct altogether ; if you copy it exactly like it is shown on your post in a terminal and run it, there should be an output that confirms that it succeeded; the output is

usb_storage

you can check by running

cat /etc/modules

now, after above done pls run

uname -r

you should get some output - we'll call it <kernel version>; then run

sudo update-initramfs -k <kernel version> -u

command and reboot. if your problem is solved then pls close this ticket; if it is not then feel free to make a comment on the above bug or file another bug with your exact concerns.

regards,
peter b

Jeanette Castaneda (jnetface) said : #4

thanks for your patience.

ok i entered all the inputs:

jeanette@jeanette-laptop:~$ echo "usb_storage" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
usb_storage
jeanette@jeanette-laptop:~$ uname -r
2.6.28-11-generic
jeanette@jeanette-laptop:~$
jeanette@jeanette-laptop:~$ sudo update-initramfs -k2.6.28-11-generic-u
You must specify at least one of -c, -u, or -d.

Usage: /usr/sbin/update-initramfs [OPTION]...

Options:
-k [version] Specify kernel version or 'all'
-c Create a new initramfs
-u Update an existing initramfs
-d Remove an existing initramfs
-t Take over a custom initramfs with this one
-b Set alternate boot directory
-v Be verbose
-h This message

i am not sure which option to select or what to input into terminal after
this.

On May 16, 2009 10:14pm, peter b <email address hidden>
wrote:
> Your question #71326 on Ubuntu changed:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> Status: Open => Answered

> peter b proposed the following answer:

> jeanette,

> yes, the command is correct altogether ; if you copy it exactly like it

> is shown on your post in a terminal and run it, there should be an

> output that confirms that it succeeded; the output is

> usb_storage

> you can check by running

> cat /etc/modules

> now, after above done pls run

> uname -r

> you should get some output - we'll call it ; then run

> sudo update-initramfs -k -u

> command and reboot. if your problem is solved then pls close this

> ticket; if it is not then feel free to make a comment on the above bug

> or file another bug with your exact concerns.

> regards,

> peter b

> --

> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us

> know that it is solved:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326/+confirm?answer_id=2

> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the

> following page to enter your feedback:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> You received this question notification because you are a direct

> subscriber of the question.

peter b (b1pete) said : #5

jeanette,

pls enter cmd exactly as shown below

sudo update-initramfs -k 2.6.28-11-generic -u

pls notice the spaces between strings in the above cmd - specifically following k and the one just before -u

regards,
peter b

Jeanette Castaneda (jnetface) said : #6

thanks peter. i've tried the above codes, but to no avail. it's still not
recognizing my usb mouse when installed.

i commented on the bug like you had advised to do, but they said that the
usb_storage driver is not responsible for human interface devices and the
workarounds there would not work. i was told to ask the support team so i'm
back here.

the usb drive first stopped working when i was using 8.04 then i upgraded
and the problem transferred over. i've had this problem before but i've
always had a code to type into terminal and it fixes it right up.

On May 17, 2009 7:36am, peter b <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #71326 on Ubuntu changed:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> Status: Open => Answered

> peter b proposed the following answer:

> jeanette,

> pls enter cmd exactly as shown below

> sudo update-initramfs -k 2.6.28-11-generic -u

> pls notice the spaces between strings in the above cmd - specifically

> following k and the one just before -u

> regards,

> peter b

> --

> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us

> know that it is solved:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326/+confirm?answer_id=4

> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the

> following page to enter your feedback:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> You received this question notification because you are a direct

> subscriber of the question.

peter b (b1pete) said : #7

jeanette,

yes, I can see your point; please tell us whether the usb_storage issue was fixed in other words the usb attached devices can be read and used.

about the usb mouse issue I do not encounter any problems whatsoever on my laptops/notebooks - I use usb mice all the time and they are 'seen' by ubuntu and configured automatically at boot time with no other intervention. mind you, I use either hardy 804 or intrepid 810 which I find more stable and reliable than jaunty 904 distro that I also have installed but not using it because of certain bugs/problems one of them being the bug that I mentioned above and you have visited.

as you could see the bug #344406 has an 'undecided' status or in other words it does not have any priority set; the workaround proposed does not work for me (partial iffy success is not for me); the result - I stopped using jaunty for the time being altogether (until a new, more stable and reliable ubuntu jaunty kernel version is released) in favour of older more stable distros that fulfill my needs and expectations. sure, you can configure and compile a new custom jaunty kernel but in this case you're not going to have any support.

so, I could see two ways for you to pursue in order to get your problems solved - the first one is pending whether you are satisfied with the workaround proposed in other words your usb_storage problem is solved - if the answer is yes then by all means feel free and open a new ticket with the specific usb mouse issue, maybe somebody else has some advice in dealing with this. failing this (no answer/solution) then probably a new bug should be reported for jaunty distro.

the second way is pure and simple save your data to some other media first and do a new install of either hardy or intrepid distro and your problems will be gone which is my case.

regards,
peter b

Best peter b (b1pete) said : #8

janette,

just noticed that you had problems with usb storage even before, on 804.

did you try another port on the pc and/or another usb storage device and see what happens ? it may v well be that the usb device or even the usb mouse is not in working order or the pc port/ports are malfunctioning.

regards,
peter b

Jeanette Castaneda (jnetface) said : #9

yea i looked into it. after talking to toshiba it looks like it was a
hardware issue with my notebook. it's a common problem apparently. thanks
anyways for all your help.

On May 20, 2009 9:15am, peter b <email address hidden> wrote:
> Your question #71326 on Ubuntu changed:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> peter b proposed the following answer:

> janette,

> just noticed that you had problems with usb storage even before, on 804.

> did you try another port on the pc and/or another usb storage device and

> see what happens ? it may v well be that the usb device or even the usb

> mouse is not in working order or the pc port/ports are malfunctioning.

> regards,

> peter b

> --

> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us

> know that it is solved:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326/+confirm?answer_id=7

> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the

> following page to enter your feedback:

> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/71326

> You received this question notification because you are a direct

> subscriber of the question.

Jeanette Castaneda (jnetface) said : #10

Thanks peter b, that solved my question.

peter b (b1pete) said : #11

glad to hear/see that your problem is solved jeanette.

best regards,
peter b