How to remove Prusa Slic3r 2.2.3 . . Does nor work right

Asked by Lynne Stevens on 2021-01-28

The directory is not there and the Ubuntu software does not show it . . Slic3r 2.2.3 makes REAL BAD G-Code . . and makes Repetier-Host crash and will not make a part . . The Heated Bed drops off the Screen and get error in some kind of code says Error in starting . . halting
Tried to use Synaptic Package manager to install 1.3.9 .x and still comes up with the 2.2.3 version . . Why ?

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Manfred Hampl
Solved:
2021-01-29
Last query:
2021-01-29
Last reply:
2021-01-29
Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #1

How did you install it?

For diagnostic purposes, what is the output of the commands

uname -a
lsb_release -crid
dpkg -l | grep prusa
apt-cache policy '*prusa*'
snap list
snap search prusa

Lynne Stevens (jackie40d) said : #2

WOW lots of stuff

lynne@jackie:~$ uname -a
Linux jackie 4.15.0-134-generic #138-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 15 10:52:18 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lynne@jackie:~$ lsb_release -crid
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
lynne@jackie:~$ dpkg -l | grep prusa
ii slic3r-prusa 1.39.1+dfsg-3 amd64 G-code generator for 3D printers
lynne@jackie:~$ apt-cache policy '*prusa*'
slic3r-prusa:
  Installed: 1.39.1+dfsg-3
  Candidate: 1.39.1+dfsg-3
  Version table:
 *** 1.39.1+dfsg-3 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lynne@jackie:~$ snap list
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
core 16-2.48.2 10583 latest/stable canonical✓ core
core18 20201210 1944 latest/stable canonical✓ base
core20 20201210 904 latest/stable canonical✓ base
gnome-3-26-1604 3.26.0.20200529 100 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.3556cb3 66 latest/stable canonical✓ -
gnome-calculator 3.38.0+git7.c840c69c 826 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-characters v3.34.0+git9.eeab5f2 570 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-logs 3.34.0 100 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gnome-system-monitor 3.36.0-12-g35f88a56d7 148 latest/stable canonical✓ -
gtk-common-themes 0.1-50-gf7627e4 1514 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gtk2-common-themes 0.1 13 latest/stable canonical✓ -
meshlab 2020.12 36 latest/stable cnr-isti-vclab -
meshlab-mardy 2016.12-20170302-3 5 latest/stable mardy -
prusa-slicer 2.3.0-snap1 24 latest/stable ivo-cavalcante -
lynne@jackie:~$ snap search prusa
Name Version Publisher Notes Summary
prusa-slicer 2.3.0-snap1 ivo-cavalcante - PrusaSlicer converts 3D models into instructions for 3D printers.
lynne@jackie:~$

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #3

The output shows

slic3r-prusa 1.39.1+dfsg-3 installed from the Ubuntu repositories

prusa-slicer 2.3.0-snap1 installed in snap form from snapcraft.io

I do not see any " 2.2.3 version". Such version could only come from an additional third version which was manually installed.

Which one do you want to keep and which one do you want to remove?

Lynne Stevens (jackie40d) said : #4

the 1.3.9 version . . It was what I had before it suddenly jumped to the
2.3 version over night . .
Must not have been watching the UpDate being installed this last time !

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 2:11 PM Manfred Hampl <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Your question #695229 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/695229
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> Manfred Hampl requested more information:
> The output shows
>
> slic3r-prusa 1.39.1+dfsg-3 installed from the Ubuntu repositories
>
> prusa-slicer 2.3.0-snap1 installed in snap form from snapcraft.io
>
> I do not see any " 2.2.3 version". Such version could only come from an
> additional third version which was manually installed.
>
> Which one do you want to keep and which one do you want to remove?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/695229
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.
>

Best Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) said : #5

There hasn't been any update on the Ubuntu-provided version and I do not see any trigger that could have caused an automatic installation of the snap version - except a manual request for installation of the snap package which according to https://snapcraft.io/prusa-slicer has been made available on 13 Jan 2021.

If theer is something wrong with that version, you should consider reporting that issue, probably at https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/issues

In any case, I assume that the command

sudo snap remove prusa-slicer

will uninstall the snap version and cause the Ubuntu version to be used.

Lynne Stevens (jackie40d) said : #6

*Seems the 3D printer controller Board had a loose wire and it burnt a
big spot on the board . . Only found it after Wondering why moving X Y &
Z axis works and the Extruder could heat but not the bed . . But will
remove the 2.3 version that got installed over the 1.3.9 ( Makes better
parts ) *

On 1/29/21 4:11 AM, Manfred Hampl wrote:
> Your question #695229 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/695229
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Manfred Hampl proposed the following answer:
> There hasn't been any update on the Ubuntu-provided version and I do not
> see any trigger that could have caused an automatic installation of the
> snap version - except a manual request for installation of the snap
> package which according to https://snapcraft.io/prusa-slicer has been
> made available on 13 Jan 2021.
>
> If theer is something wrong with that version, you should consider
> reporting that issue, probably at
> https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/issues
>
> In any case, I assume that the command
>
> sudo snap remove prusa-slicer
>
> will uninstall the snap version and cause the Ubuntu version to be used.
>

Lynne Stevens (jackie40d) said : #7

Thanks Manfred Hampl, that solved my question.