How to find settings on my Lenovo R400

Asked by May Ayres on 2021-01-12

I cannot find the 'Settings' on my LenovoR400 laptop. Apparently I need the 'settings' to help solve the problem of being unable to connect my router to my machine. I use Ubuntu 20.04

I have so far, gone to Network. But only 'Windows' come up which is disabled, deliberately so as I don't use it.
I have typed in my search engine, Duck Duck Go, 'Settings' but only instructions for finding settings in Windows!
Nothing else comes up on the list remotely connected to File Manager >applications.

I am not terribly conversant with computer language but I try hard.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Answered
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Last query:
2021-01-14
Last reply:
2021-01-14

What desktop session are you using?

Is this an issue with wireless connectivity?

May Ayres (maya71) said : #2

Thank you for requesting more information. I use both Tors and Mozilla Firefox. Tors is limited somewhat, not recognised by the 'mainstream' so I have to make use of Mozilla. Is this what you mean when you ask what desktop session I use? Duck Duck Go is my search engine.

Wireless connection is okay I assume. I access the internet by using the Ethernet cable. I'm unable to connect directly with the router on my laptop. (Although my daughter when visiting, was able to connect with her own laptop, but she does not use Ubuntu)

> On 12 January 2021 at 11:45 actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>
> Your question #694907 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> What desktop session are you using?
>
> Is this an issue with wireless connectivity?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Tor is well known. Its not special. Its just Firefox with a built in tunnel to the Tor network. There's videos all over YouTube and reviews online it's quite mainstream, trust me.

Do you use a VPN for Web access or do you just use Tor?

May Ayres (maya71) said : #5

No, I don't use VPN. Perhaps I should? Maybe it's the reason that so many alternative sites just don't recognise Tor? I admit,to being ignorant of VPN. Just researching what it means!
> On 12 January 2021 at 13:01 actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>
> Your question #694907 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Do you use a VPN for Web access or do you just use Tor?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

May Ayres (maya71) said : #6

thank you for responding to my question but you have now gone silent. Does my answer that I just use Tor, not VPN for web access, alter my original question which is how to find my 'settings' on ubuntu 20-04 that has mysteriously disappeared.
> On 12 January 2021 at 13:01 actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>
> Your question #694907 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Do you use a VPN for Web access or do you just use Tor?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Bernard Stafford (bernard010) said : #9

Click on Activities Type the word Setting in the search box, Enter . When you are in setting you can right click and add to favorites.
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/index.html

May Ayres (maya71) said : #10

Thank you.
I followed your instructions:
Activities-Typed in 'Settings' in 'search'
The following came up:
LightDM GTK+Greeter settings
Monitor Settings
Openbox Settings
PowerManager
SessionSettings
Tor Browser Launcher Settings
Saved all.

I'm confused as to the meanings of the above terms. How any of these will assist in connection lap top to router. I'm still using the Ethernet cable as the only way to access the internet.

> On 14 January 2021 at 00:55 Bernard Stafford <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>
> Your question #694907 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> Bernard Stafford proposed the following answer:
> Click on Activities Type the word Setting in the search box, Enter . When you are in setting you can right click and add to favorites.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/index.html
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907/+confirm?answer_id=8
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

Are you wanting to connect the laptop to the router using a wireless connection instead of wired. Is that the issue here please?

May Ayres (maya71) said : #12

Yes, Thank you. This is exactly what I want to do. I just cannot figure out why my laptop will not accept a wireless connection to the router. My server, The phone-coop, have instructed me to go into 'settings' and cannot help unless I do this.
The settings (general) appears to be hidden somewhere. And despite following actionsnip directions, as set out below, I'm no more enlightened.
Thank you for responding. I welcome any further help!
> On 14 January 2021 at 11:50 actionparsnip <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>
> Your question #694907 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> Status: Open => Needs information
>
> actionparsnip requested more information:
> Are you wanting to connect the laptop to the router using a wireless
> connection instead of wired. Is that the issue here please?
>
> --
> To answer this request for more information, you can either reply to
> this email or enter your reply at the following page:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

May Ayres (maya71) said : #14

Thank you,
These links look very helpful.
I am more hopeful.
Many thanks
> On 14 January 2021 at 12:31 Bernard Stafford <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>
> Your question #694907 on Ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> Status: Open => Answered
>
> Bernard Stafford proposed the following answer:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/gs-get-online.html.en
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/net.html.en
> https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/net-wireless.html.en
>
> --
> If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
> know that it is solved:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907/+confirm?answer_id=12
>
> If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
> following page to enter your feedback:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/694907
>
> You received this question notification because you asked the question.

If wireless is the issue then why didn't you say that in the original post instead of "How to find settings" which is nothing to do with wireless issues and we could have moved this forward a lot quicker. I even asked you in my very first reply but then you started talking about web browsers and how Tor isn't mainstream (which is also absolutely irrelevant to your issue).

What is the output of:

sudo lshw -C network

Thaniks

In future, if you make questions. Simply write what the issue is. Your question should have been along the lines of:
Hi, my LenovoR400 running Ubuntu 20.04 cannot connect to the internet wirelessly. Wired is OK

Instead we got:
I cannot find the 'Settings' on my LenovoR400 laptop.

Much clearer isn't it. If you post better questions the we can help faster

Bernard Stafford (bernard010) said : #17

You can make Tor your default web browser by open preferences within Tor.
Thank You,
We are glad to help with any other questions that you may have.

Bernard Stafford (bernard010) said : #18

Top right corner of your screen -> drop-down box, open. -> Settings -> Network -> Gear (circle) (click) This has wired and wireless networking within it. In the Security tab their is a slide Off and On button for 802.1xSecurity Slide to On position. This will let you enable your wireless network.

Can you help with this problem?

Provide an answer of your own, or ask May Ayres for more information if necessary.

To post a message you must log in.