9.04 Upgrade Sum Mismatch!?

Asked by jetbundle on 2009-04-25

Hi,

I was just upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04, and in any method I try, it tells me there's a checksum mismatch and aborts. Has anyone experienced this issue or has a quick fix?
My internet connection should be fin, and I think I have a pretty standard setup. Here's the error message:

W:Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-proposed/universe/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch
, W:Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-proposed/universe/source/Sources.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or
old ones used instead.

Thanks a lot!

Question information

Language:
English Edit question
Status:
Solved
For:
Ubuntu Edit question
Assignee:
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Rafik Ouerchefani
Solved:
2009-04-25
Last query:
2009-04-25
Last reply:
2009-04-25

What command are you running to get this error?

Can you please give the output of

lsb_release -a

You could also try:

sudo apt-get clean; sudo apt-get -f install; sudo depmod -a; sudo apt-get update

Peace

jetbundle (mbrane) said : #2

My system is up to date and perfectly clean, so updating the system as you suggested didn't change anything.

I tried both update-notifier-kde and do-release-upgrade.

To me it smells like a) the upgrade comes with a wrong checksum (but then I can't be the only one) or b) I started the upgrade yeasterday, but quit (cleanly) before downloading the packages since it displayed me 3 hours download time and I was using an unstable wireless conneciton. So it might have downloaded an md5sum file yesterday, which is outdated now.

My release info is:
thias@neuron:/etc/apt$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:cxx-3.0-amd64:cxx-3.0-noarch:cxx-3.1-amd64:cxx-3.1-noarch:cxx-3.2-amd64:cxx-3.2-noarch:desktop-3.1-amd64:desktop-3.1-noarch:desktop-3.2-amd64:desktop-3.2-noarch:graphics-2.0-amd64:graphics-2.0-noarch:graphics-3.0-amd64:graphics-3.0-noarch:graphics-3.1-amd64:graphics-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.2-amd64:graphics-3.2-noarch:languages-3.2-amd64:languages-3.2-noarch:multimedia-3.2-amd64:multimedia-3.2-noarch:printing-3.2-amd64:printing-3.2-noarch:qt4-3.1-amd64:qt4-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.10
Release: 8.10
Codename: intrepid

Rafik Ouerchefani (rafik) said : #3

Hello,

You may try deleting cached packages lists in :

/var/lib/apt/lists/partial
/var/lib/apt/lists

Don't delete the sub-folder "partial" ! both directories must exist, only delete the files.

Now you can update and continue your upgrade.

- Rafik

jetbundle (mbrane) said : #4

Thanks. I tried that, but it still didn't work.
It seems to me that there must be either a bug (i.e. wrong checksum on the repository), or it must have cached the wrong checksum somewhere on my system, or the IP provider has cached files.

Does anyone know whether there's either a file that I can delete on my system, where the checksum may be, or maybe an option that I can give to do-release-upgrade, that forced it to re-load everything and/or force not to use cached files via http (as I read there is one for apt-get, but I found no man page for do-release-upgrade)?

Best Rafik Ouerchefani (rafik) said : #5

The checksums are in the files I asked you to delete.

Example : /var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu.univ-nantes.fr_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_Release :

Origin: Ubuntu
Label: Ubuntu
Suite: jaunty
Version: 9.04
Codename: jaunty
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:35:16 UTC
Architectures: amd64 armel hppa i386 ia64 lpia powerpc sparc
Components: main restricted universe multiverse
Description: Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
MD5Sum:
 56d2e835b58f1d829d2e278810fdd0b7 7702995 main/binary-amd64/Packages
 c4ecf3e556aeb8d4e8212c698fa245a7 95 main/binary-amd64/Release
 22c724bcbf5d00a9592926bb511de54a 1608071 main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
 27a5d99f4d70dd7ea42f4ba8f90c1b40 1250928 main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
 795868d9255d087425f8765cc4758b9c 7614773 main/binary-armel/Packages
 e4f5edd8d947ced9965f969d922d0aeb 1233701 main/binary-armel/Packages.bz2
 e01b425bfaad6760daacd5caccb28074 1583652 main/binary-armel/Packages.gz
[...]

The only thing I see that could help now is to switch to another mirror and give it a try. You should remove the cached lists once again.

jetbundle (mbrane) said : #6

Thanks!

I changed the repository to my local one repository (that sits almost next door ;) ), and that fixed it.

jetbundle (mbrane) said : #7

Thanks Rafik Ouerchefani, that solved my question.

Alborz (alborz) said : #8

Thanks Rafik Ouerchefani indeed, it helped me resloving the problem on Ubuntu 10.10