xubuntu 8.10 top panel icon 'Master'

Asked by WacoJohn on 2009-03-20

There is a vertical bar icon .. mouse over it, says MASTER. I have checked docs, help, website and cannot find a reference to it. What is is please? thank you

Question information

English Edit question
Ubuntu Edit question
No assignee Edit question
Solved by:
Craig Huffstetler
Last query:
Last reply:
Best Craig Huffstetler (xq) said : #1

This should be your volume control. If you right click on it you should be presented with "Preferences" and other options for your sound [card].

Craig H.

WacoJohn (johnbooth) said : #2

Thank you, Craig, .. your answer is close. Major sound controls seem to be the little speaker icon in the same area. This vertical 'bar' seems to be the volume at the moment. It is a gray bar and depending on how high the Master Volume slider in the speaker 'control panel' is set, so is the black portion of the bar icon. Apparently one can adjust the Master volume with this little tiny bar by left clicking within it, lowering or raising the Master volume. So, in essence you are exactly right and I would have wondered about it for weeks. Thank you for your prompt reply.

WacoJohn (johnbooth) said : #3

Thanks Craig Huffstetler, that solved my question.

WacoJohn (johnbooth) said : #4

Oh, .. right clicking on the bar does nothing, by the way.